King Mo Lawal Slated to Return as Part of Bellator Summer Series Tournament


Muhammed King Mo Lawal StrikeforceMost of us expected Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal to run through the Bellator Season 8 Light Heavyweight Tournament, and at least make it to the finals, likely against fellow favorite Renato “Babalu” Sobral.

Three fights later and neither Lawal nor Sobral remained in the tournament. Sobral lost in the quarterfinal round, while Lawal was taken out in the semifinals; both met their demise courtesy of a spinning backfist.

Season 8 concluded last week, but Bellator on Wednesday announced that it would do another light heavyweight tournament – along with heavyweight and bantamweight tournaments – this summer, albeit with four-man brackets instead of the usual eight.

No competitors were announced in the initial announcement, but Spike TV president Kevin Kay later on Wednesday revealed to MMAWeekly.com that Lawal would make his next start in the Bellator cage as part of the Summer Series Light Heavyweight Tournament.

“Mo is actually going to fight in the Summer Series and I think people will be very excited to see how he comes back and what he does different this time,” said Kay, who was as surprised as everyone else to see Lawal get knocked out at Bellator 90.

“Of course I didn’t want to see him get knocked out, but that’s the tournament,” Kay added. “It just validates the tournament structure.”

Kay didn’t know yet whom Lawal’s next opponent would be, only that he will be a part of the Bellator Summer Series on Spike TV.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 21 days ago
  • 64 views

NEW YORK - Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion and current Bellator light heavyweight 'King' Muhammed Lawal opens up about his preferences in rap music, his upcoming bout against Tom DeBlas read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 1 views

Muhammed Lawal has lost an opponent for next month’s Bellator 123 event, but a replacement bout is in the works.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rumors, News read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 2 views

Muhammed Lawal has a new opponent for the light heavyweight co-main event of Bellator 123. read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 2 views

After suffering from a knee injury during training, Tom DeBlass has been removed from the Bellator 123 fight card and will be replaced by Marcus Sursa. read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 242 views

Rampage says Bjorn did not live up to his end of the bargain when it came to his knee surgery, plus if the King Mo feud will ever end and if a fight with Tito Ortiz is in the future. read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 41 views

And he's even less worried about the ground game. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight Tom DeBlass -- who ended his short-lived retirement to join Bellator MMA back in early read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 1 views

Tom DeBlass removed from Bellator 123 fight card due to injury; Marcus Sursa will face King Mo from Mohegan Sun on September 5th. Newport Beach, Calif. (August 13, 2014) - After suffering from a knee read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 2 views

The main card for Bellator has been tweaked as New Jersey-native and jiu-jitsu black belt Tom DeBlass has withdrawn from his scheduled Bellator 123 bout opposite 'King' Mo Lawal due to injury. As a r read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 59 views

The latest episode of the Alistair Overeem documentary series, "The Reem," was released on Wednesday. Follow the UFC heavyweight behind the scenes for his last fight against Frank Mir at UFC 169, his read news >>

Jump to: