After a yearlong layoff, Muhammed Lawal returns Jan. 24 to take on Przemyslaw Mysiala in the Bellator Fighting Championships Season 8 light heavyweight tournament.

“King Mo” joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show ahead of the matchup to discuss his opponent, the tournament format and more.

On whether he’s nervous making his debut in Bellator and on Spike TV: “No. I got more nervous with wrestling because with fighting, you’re getting paid. You’re getting paid to show up. In wrestling, you had to win the tournament. When I went to Russia and when I went to Iran, I had to win the tournament to get paid. I had to beat my opponent and beat the referees that were trying to cheat me. That was more stressful and that was more nerve-wracking to me.”

On whether it adds pressure that his opponent is not well known: “It’s like this: If I beat him, then I would get no credit anyway. If he beats me, then I’m a bum or the dude’s real good. To me, it’s just a fight. I’m not worried about names. Names mean nothing.”

On whether he’s ready for the tournament format and what could be a grueling year: “I think so. I went to Holland. I was there for a whole month. … My schedule was like this: I’d wake up at 5:30 in the morning, train from 7 a.m. to 11:30, come back at 6 and train till 8:30 p.m. I put myself through a month of hell. It’s not over. I’m in Vegas right now training with Jeff Mayweather, sparring with two-time Olympian Michael Hunter and rolling with Roy Nelson and sparring with Roy Nelson and boxing with other guys in the gym. I’m putting my body through hell to make sure I’m prepared.”

On how he’ll train knowing he could be fighting every four weeks: “You’ve got to be careful. You have to peak but not peak. For my fight, I’ll be in shape, but real talk: I won’t be in the best shape of my life. Even the second fight, I’ll be in a little better shape than the first fight. Third fight, I’m going to peak. I’ll be peaked in my third fight and then I’ll bring it down, wait a few weeks before I train again, bring it down and slowly ease back into it and peak again for the title fight. That’s how you’ve got to do it. It’s called periodization. I don’t think a lot of people in the fight game understand that, especially MMA.”

On whether the tournament format will affect how he approaches each fight: “No, because to me, I’ll go out there and knock you out. If I don’t knock you out, I’m going to go out there to beat you up. Regardless, my goal is to try to finish the fight. If it goes all three rounds and I’m a little bruised up, well, the ice bath will be my best friend for the next three or four weeks before my next fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:31:43).

Chris Honeycutt Sees a Paul Bradley Finish Putting Him on Fast Track to a Bellator Belt

Chris Honeycutt believes that if he can finish Paul Bradley on Friday night, it could put him on the fast track to a Bellator belt. read news >>

Bellator 148's Honeycutt on Bradley rematch: 'I never start something without finishing'

Chris Honeycutt said he’s ready to put the Paul Bradley portion of his career in the past when they meet at Bellator 148, even if he had to wait seven months to do it.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 148 live video stream and official results (7:40 p.m. ET)

Bellator 148 takes place today, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 7:40 p.m. ET (4:40 p.m. PT).Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Raphael Butler Predicts Victory Over Tony Johnson at Bellator 148

Heavyweight Raphael Butler faces Tony Johnson on the Bellator 148 main card and predicts that he'll 'get the W.' read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2131 with Scott Coker and K.J. Noons

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Scott Coker and K.J. Noons.Filed under: Bellator, MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Patricky Freire looking for quick knockout of Ryan Couture at Bellator 148

Patricky Freire was mentally wrecked after dropping his rematch with Derek Anderson in his most recent trip to the Bellator cage. He looks to bounce back tonight at Bellator 148 but has a tall order read news >>

Andy Uhrich Has ‘Nothing to Lose and Everything to Gain’ in Bellator 148 Main Event

Andy Uhrich knows he's not expected to beat Paul Daley at Bellator 148 on Friday, but he also knows that means he's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. read news >>

Bellator 148 Results: Paul Daley Picks Up Quick Finish, Fires Shots at Josh Koscheck

Paul Daley showed off his punching power when he blasted Andy Uhrich with a first-round knockout in the main event at Bellator 148 on Friday evening. read news >>

Bellator 148 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Daley vs. Uhrich

Paul "Semtex" Daley made quick work of Andy Uhrich in the main event at Bellator 148 in Fresno, California, on Friday night. The powerful British welterweight stalked his overmatched opponent and ult read news >>

Bellator 148 video: 4 KOs, including walkoffs from Paul Daley and Patricky 'Pitbull'

Friday’s Bellator 148 main card was a stoppage-heavy affair with four knockouts in four fights, including some “Knockout of the Year” candidates a month into 2016.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Fea read news >>