King Mo Lawal - StrikeforceFormer Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal has found new life after a stale end to the time he had with his previous employers.

Lawal signed a multi-year agreement with Bellator Fighting Championships as well as TNA wrestling after being released from Strikeforce earlier in 2012.

The former champion says that his passion for competing in Strikeforce died when the promotion sold to Zuffa, LLC, the same company that owns and operates the UFC. At that point, the promotion he was fighting for was no longer fighting for No. 1 and it just didn’t sit right with him.

“As far as me losing my spark and intensity I always had it, but when Strikeforce was sold, it was like, when I was fighting for Strikeforce it’s like we’re going against the grain. We’re trying to be the top people here. We’re fighting for respect,” said Lawal on Wednesday.

“Then when Strikeforce was purchased, the whole demeanor of it changed. I was like, whatever, I’m over it. But now that I’m with Bellator, and Bellator’s in the same situation that Strikeforce was in, we’re fighting for respect, and that’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to fight my ass off so we can get this respect as an organization.”

Fighting to be No. 1 is something Lawal has strived for his entire career, whether it was in wrestling or when he moved into mixed martial arts, and he wants to fight for a promotion that is gunning for the top spot as well.

Lawal is adamant when saying that Bellator won’t be a minor league for the UFC, and their goal is to be No. 1 or do everything that it can to get there.

“I don’t want people to think of Bellator as a feeder program,” said Lawal. “Bellator is trying to be the top dog, and I feel like with people like me and with (Michael) Chandler and Ben Askren and a few others fighting in Bellator, people will take notice and see these fights.”

Despite not having fought for Bellator yet, and not even making his debut for the promotion until 2013, Lawal is confident he made the right decision signing with them.

He’s a happier man dealing with Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney than he was in the brief time he dealt with UFC president Dana White, and for him it all comes down to respect.

Dana White and them wanted me to wait till September. Wait for what? Wait for uncertainty? I don’t know Dana; Dana don’t know me. He don’t owe me nothing; I don’t owe him nothing,” Lawal said.

“What I was thinking about was he went out of his way to bash me a few times in interviews, but he doesn’t know me, never talked to me before. We might have said hi to each other, but we don’t know each other. So why should I sit around and wait for a guy that’s quick to bash me when he doesn’t know me? I’m off in a better place right now for me especially with Bjorn, he shows me respect, he’s a cool dude, quiet, not too outspoken, and respectful of all the fighters.”

Before he makes his debut in the Bellator light heavyweight tournament on Spike TV in 2013, Lawal will first make an appearance as part of his TNA contract on Thursday night.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your MMA news and updates.

Amanda Nunes challenges Miesha Tate for women's bantamweight title at UFC 200

Dana White said we might get a women’s title fight at UFC 200, and now we have one. Miesha Tate will defend her bantamweight title for the first time when she meets Amanda Nunes. Filed under: Feature read news >>

RFA 37 Results and Highlights: Leandro Higo and Devin Clark Take the Gold

With UFC President Dana White in attendance, Resurrection Fighting Alliance put on one of its most exciting shows ever as RFA 37 delivered six stunning finishes. read news >>

RFA 37 highlights: It was 'insanity – the whole night,' and here's why (clue: Dana White)

Friday’s RFA 37 event produced a night of knockouts and submissions. It was also an unofficial tryout for UFC contracts thanks to one special guest.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured Videos, News, read news >>

Dana White on Glover Teixeira's callout of Anthony Johnson: 'I like that fight'

Glover Teixeira called out Anthony Johnson following his knockout of Rashad Evans at UFC on FOX 19. It appears he might get his wish.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 Video: Dana White Backstage Interview

UFC president Dana White talks about the UFC on FOX 19 main event and co-main event bouts shortly after they happened backstage at the Amalie Arena in Tampa, Fla. on Saturday. read news >>

Dana White: ‘I Think Rashad Evans is Probably Going to Retire’

Former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans faces some tough questions looking ahead after suffering his second consecutive loss on Saturday. read news >>

Dana White says Rose Namajunas needs another 'fight or 2' before next title shot

Pump the brakes on rushing to declare Rose Namajunas as No. 1 contender in the UFC strawweight division following her victory over Tecia Torres this past Saturday at UFC on FOX 19.Filed under: News, read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey's Comeback Fight, Holly Holm

UFC President Dana White confirmed Sunday that Ronda Rousey will have a chance to win back the UFC women's bantamweight title when she steps into the Octagon again. White discussed Rousey's immediate read news >>

Dana White Guarantees Ronda Rousey ‘Will Fight Whoever Has the Belt’ in UFC Return

We don't know when or where Ronda Rousey will make her UFC return, but Dana White guarantees she'll get a title shot when she does. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor has been pulled from UFC 200 headliner vs. Nate Diaz

The UFC 200 main event between featherweight champion Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz is off, promotion President Dana White said today. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>