King Mo Lawal - StrikeforceFormer Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal has found new life after a stale end to the time he had with his previous employers.

Lawal signed a multi-year agreement with Bellator Fighting Championships as well as TNA wrestling after being released from Strikeforce earlier in 2012.

The former champion says that his passion for competing in Strikeforce died when the promotion sold to Zuffa, LLC, the same company that owns and operates the UFC. At that point, the promotion he was fighting for was no longer fighting for No. 1 and it just didn’t sit right with him.

“As far as me losing my spark and intensity I always had it, but when Strikeforce was sold, it was like, when I was fighting for Strikeforce it’s like we’re going against the grain. We’re trying to be the top people here. We’re fighting for respect,” said Lawal on Wednesday.

“Then when Strikeforce was purchased, the whole demeanor of it changed. I was like, whatever, I’m over it. But now that I’m with Bellator, and Bellator’s in the same situation that Strikeforce was in, we’re fighting for respect, and that’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to fight my ass off so we can get this respect as an organization.”

Fighting to be No. 1 is something Lawal has strived for his entire career, whether it was in wrestling or when he moved into mixed martial arts, and he wants to fight for a promotion that is gunning for the top spot as well.

Lawal is adamant when saying that Bellator won’t be a minor league for the UFC, and their goal is to be No. 1 or do everything that it can to get there.

“I don’t want people to think of Bellator as a feeder program,” said Lawal. “Bellator is trying to be the top dog, and I feel like with people like me and with (Michael) Chandler and Ben Askren and a few others fighting in Bellator, people will take notice and see these fights.”

Despite not having fought for Bellator yet, and not even making his debut for the promotion until 2013, Lawal is confident he made the right decision signing with them.

He’s a happier man dealing with Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney than he was in the brief time he dealt with UFC president Dana White, and for him it all comes down to respect.

Dana White and them wanted me to wait till September. Wait for what? Wait for uncertainty? I don’t know Dana; Dana don’t know me. He don’t owe me nothing; I don’t owe him nothing,” Lawal said.

“What I was thinking about was he went out of his way to bash me a few times in interviews, but he doesn’t know me, never talked to me before. We might have said hi to each other, but we don’t know each other. So why should I sit around and wait for a guy that’s quick to bash me when he doesn’t know me? I’m off in a better place right now for me especially with Bjorn, he shows me respect, he’s a cool dude, quiet, not too outspoken, and respectful of all the fighters.”

Before he makes his debut in the Bellator light heavyweight tournament on Spike TV in 2013, Lawal will first make an appearance as part of his TNA contract on Thursday night.

Stay tuned to for all your MMA news and updates.

Dana White was granting wishes – ranging from Joanna Jedrzejczyk to hugs to hot wings

MELBOURNE, Australia – UFC President Dana White was in a giving mood on Friday, and he granted a host of wishes – many of which included Joanna Jedrzejczyk.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vi read news >>

Rumors of Jose Aldo pulling out of UFC 194? 'Not true,' Dana White says

MELBOURNE, Australia – If you have tickets for next month’s UFC 194 pay-per-view and are worried about the main event falling apart, UFC President Dana White has some encouraging news.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Dana White hopeful 'CM Punk' debuts by mid-2016, urges fans to be patient

MELBOURNE, Australia – If you’re still waiting for Phil “CM Punk” Brooks to make that long-promoted UFC debut, company president Dana White is urging a little patience.Filed under: Featured Videos, N read news >>

Dana White Video: Rousey vs. Holm Dust-Up, Is Cyborg Next, Tate Retirement, and More

Dana White touches on a number of topics, including: the Rousey and Holm weigh-in dust-up, is Cris Cyborg next, Miesha Tate retiring, and more. read news >>

Dana White notebook: ‘Cyborg’ probably next for Rousey, doesn’t want Hughes vs. Serra 2

MELBOURNE, Australia – Several hundred people turned out to see UFC President Dana White at a Q&A session after UFC 193’s official weigh-ins, with the executive taking questions on a variety of topic read news >>

Miesha Tate will spend fight night at gentleman's club as Dana White keeps making empty promises (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: UFC's vow to "make it right" to Tate is of no consolation as Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm set to square off in Australia. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Expected Gate for Rousey vs. Holm, UFC 193

Ronda Rousey will put her undefeated record on the line at UFC 193 in Australia against Holly Holm on Saturday. According to Damon Martin of Fox Sports, the fight is anticipated to break the all-time read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77: Guida Makes 1 Mistake, Gets Guillotined by Thiago Tavares

At UFC Fight Night 77 in Sao Paulo, Brazil, former Strikeforce lightweight champion Clay Guida faced Brazilian Thiago Tavares, in what turned out to be a very short fight on Saturday. At just 39 seco read news >>

Dana looks forward to 'great' Cruz-Dillashaw clash

"The Download" with Dana White is a exclusive interview with the boss, covering everything that's in the news. This week Dana talks about the main event of Fight Night Boston on Jan. 17 read news >>