King Mo Lawal - StrikeforceFormer Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal has found new life after a stale end to the time he had with his previous employers.

Lawal signed a multi-year agreement with Bellator Fighting Championships as well as TNA wrestling after being released from Strikeforce earlier in 2012.

The former champion says that his passion for competing in Strikeforce died when the promotion sold to Zuffa, LLC, the same company that owns and operates the UFC. At that point, the promotion he was fighting for was no longer fighting for No. 1 and it just didn’t sit right with him.

“As far as me losing my spark and intensity I always had it, but when Strikeforce was sold, it was like, when I was fighting for Strikeforce it’s like we’re going against the grain. We’re trying to be the top people here. We’re fighting for respect,” said Lawal on Wednesday.

“Then when Strikeforce was purchased, the whole demeanor of it changed. I was like, whatever, I’m over it. But now that I’m with Bellator, and Bellator’s in the same situation that Strikeforce was in, we’re fighting for respect, and that’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to fight my ass off so we can get this respect as an organization.”

Fighting to be No. 1 is something Lawal has strived for his entire career, whether it was in wrestling or when he moved into mixed martial arts, and he wants to fight for a promotion that is gunning for the top spot as well.

Lawal is adamant when saying that Bellator won’t be a minor league for the UFC, and their goal is to be No. 1 or do everything that it can to get there.

“I don’t want people to think of Bellator as a feeder program,” said Lawal. “Bellator is trying to be the top dog, and I feel like with people like me and with (Michael) Chandler and Ben Askren and a few others fighting in Bellator, people will take notice and see these fights.”

Despite not having fought for Bellator yet, and not even making his debut for the promotion until 2013, Lawal is confident he made the right decision signing with them.

He’s a happier man dealing with Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney than he was in the brief time he dealt with UFC president Dana White, and for him it all comes down to respect.

Dana White and them wanted me to wait till September. Wait for what? Wait for uncertainty? I don’t know Dana; Dana don’t know me. He don’t owe me nothing; I don’t owe him nothing,” Lawal said.

“What I was thinking about was he went out of his way to bash me a few times in interviews, but he doesn’t know me, never talked to me before. We might have said hi to each other, but we don’t know each other. So why should I sit around and wait for a guy that’s quick to bash me when he doesn’t know me? I’m off in a better place right now for me especially with Bjorn, he shows me respect, he’s a cool dude, quiet, not too outspoken, and respectful of all the fighters.”

Before he makes his debut in the Bellator light heavyweight tournament on Spike TV in 2013, Lawal will first make an appearance as part of his TNA contract on Thursday night.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your MMA news and updates.

After chair near-incident, Dana White admits Conor McGregor gets special treatment – for good reason

The pre-fight news conference for UFC 205 delivered another memorable Conor McGregor moment for his career highlight reel: That time he picked up a metal folding chair and was ready to drop it on opp read news >>

Dana White Stumped for Donald Trump; Will the Next President Show at UFC 205? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White stumped for now-President-Elect Donald Trump, but will the next U.S. president return the favor? read news >>

UFC boss Dana White: 'I would never take the risk of headlining a show with Jon Jones again'

UFC President Dana White appears to have lost faith in former UFC champion Jon Jones following his one-year suspension from the U.S. Anti-Doping Association (USADA) for a failed drug test prior to UF read news >>

Dana White says Kelvin Gastelum done at 170 after missing weight for UFC 205

Kelvin Gastelum’s time as a welterweight is apparently over for good after he missed weight today for the third time in his UFC career.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: Kelvin Gastelum Will Never Again Fight at 170 | MMAWeekly.com

After blowing his UFC 205 weight cut, Kelvin Gastelum is never again going to get the opportunity to try and fight at welterweight in the Octagon. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor Would Have Lost 'Millions of Dollars' for Throwing Chair | MMAWeekly.com

Pre-fight mayhem has become the norm for fight cards featuring UFC champion Conor McGregor, and things nearly got out of control on Thursday. read news >>

Dana White Shares Thoughts on UFC's New York Debut, Future Plans for UFC in NY

Despite its prominent place in combat-sports history, New York and its sporting cathedral, Madison Square Garden, have never hosted an MMA event. That changes Saturday with UFC 205, following the leg read news >>

Ronda Rousey Shrugs Off Dana White After Amanda Nunes Face-off | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey made a surprise appearance at the UFC 205 weigh-in, but things didn't go all that smoothly when Dana White tried to get her to talk. read news >>

Conor McGregor Snags a Second Belt and a Bonus at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White announced the fighter bonuses stemming from UFC 205 during the event's post-fight press conference at Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Video: Watch Dana White's full post-UFC 205 interview with the media in New York

NEW YORK – After Saturday’s historic UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden in New York, UFC President Dana White met with the media.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>