Kenny Robertson

It’s hard to imagine a fighter becoming untouchable after being released from the UFC, but that’s the unenviable position that welterweight Kenny Robertson currently sits in.

Debuting in the UFC with a 10-0 record, Robertson was a highly touted prospect who had fought in several promotions including Bellator Fighting Championships.

In his first fight, Robertson came up short, losing by TKO to Mike Pierce and then was promptly released from the promotion.

According to Robertson’s manager Nick Thompson, he was a casualty of the merger between the UFC and WEC because of how many fighters were on the roster at the time.

“He was cut by the UFC because of the WEC merger, prior to Strikeforce, as you know they had an overflow and were cutting people. In fact, Joe Silva told me ‘I don’t want to cut this guy, but it would be a year till he fought if he stays with us.’ So we figured they cut him, no big deal, we’ll get him a few wins and back in (the UFC),” Thompson explained to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday.

The problem thus far has been finding the few fights for him to get wins.

Thompson says that when the offers come in, once the opponent finds out that it’s Kenny Robertson’s name on the other end of the bout agreement, they haven’t been quick to accept any longer.

“We got a couple of fight offers, somebody will call me looking for a 170lber, and I’m like we’ve got Kenny Robertson, we’ll take it for the money they’ve offered so we’re not arguing about anything like that, then the opponent will say ‘nope’,” Thompson said.

Robertson is running into a similar issue that plagued former ‘Ultimate Fighter’ competitor Eliot Marshall when he was released from the UFC.

Marshall was 3-1 in the UFC, but released after a loss to Vladdy Matyushenko. After that time, it became painfully obvious to the Colorado fighter that despite his UFC credentials, other opponents weren’t jumping at the chance to face him or become a stepping stone on his way to making it back to the Octagon.

Robertson is walking very much the same path.

It’s now been almost six months since Robertson stepped foot in the cage or ring with an opponent standing across from him. Thompson continues to burn up the phone lines waiting for a welterweight and promotion who are willing to face his fighter, but right now the opponents aren’t lining up.

“Good question,” Thompson answered when asked what’s the next step. “Once we get someone that will fight him, it will be easier to get him more and more fights. But right now nobody wants to bring him in to fight a hometown guy. The end goal is to go back to the UFC.”

While Robertson is far from holding a sign that says ‘will fight for food’, he wants to get back to the UFC and the only way to do that is to face top competition outside the Octagon and make sure matchmaker Joe Silva sees it.

The only problem so far is finding that first opponent to step up and accept a fight.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Tim Means steps in for Kenny Robertson, meets George Sullivan at UFC on FOX 15

  • 25 days ago
  • 2 views

Next month’s UFC return to New Jersey has had a change on the prelims, and Tim Means will make a quick turnaround to get back to work. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 suspensions: Koscheck given 14 days following second stoppage loss in three weeks

  • 25 days ago
  • 0 views

The CABMMA has released a list of medical suspensions following Saturday night’s UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare event. Just days removed from the entertaining night of fights in Rio de Janeiro, th read news >>

UFC 189 World Tour Embedded, Episode 5: 'I'm going to release the beast on him'

  • 23 days ago
  • 59 views

In the latest episode for the UFC 189 World Tour Embedded, Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo do more promotional work for the fight and Dana White breaks some news. Also, Aldo talks trash about McGregor w read news >>

UFC 189 world tour staredowns in NYC

  • 23 days ago
  • 2 views

NEW YORK -- Two UFC champions squared off with their upcoming opponents once again. UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler faced off with Rory MacDonald, while UFC featherweight Jose Aldo had anothe read news >>

Video: UFC 189 World Championship Tour Embedded, Ep 5 - Release the beast

  • 22 days ago
  • 15 views

Watch the fifth episode of UFC 189 World Championship Tour Embedded. It's the fifth episode of UFC 189 World Championship Tour Embedded and Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor hit Los Angeles. The shows beg read news >>

Court dismisses UFC's lawsuit challenging New York's ban on mixed martial arts

  • 18 days ago
  • 6 views

If the UFC is to find a way to get New York to legalized professional mixed martial arts (MMA), it will be through the New York State Assembly and not the courts. According to a release issued by UFC read news >>

Dan Hardy wants two more UFC fights, names Josh Koscheck and Diego Sanchez as potential opponents

  • 17 days ago
  • 13 views

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight number one contender, Dan Hardy, was booted from mixed martial arts (MMA) back in 2013 after battling a heart condition called Wolff-Parkinson read news >>

Quinton Jackson's UFC 186 fate to be decided Tuesday

  • 16 days ago
  • 3 views

Quinton Jackson will find out on Tuesday whether he'll be free to fight at UFC 186. A New Jersey judge decided Thursday that she will announce on April 7 whether she will grant Bellator MMA a prelimi read news >>

Bellator lawsuit to block 'Rampage' from UFC 186 postponed

  • 15 days ago
  • 2 views

Will Quinton Jackson be able to fight Fabio Maldonado at UFC 186? We'll find out next Tuesday, after the court decided to postpone its decision on whether or not it would grant Bellator MMA an injunc read news >>