Former three-time UFC title challenger Kenny Florian has retired as an active competitor.

UFC President Dana White made the announcement following “The Ultimate Fighter 15” Finale weigh-ins on Fuel TV. Florian was then introduced, explaining the motivation behind his decision.

“I’ve dealt with injuries in the past. Back in November, I hurt my back working out, and it hasn’t quite been the same,” Florian told host and broadcast partner Jon Anik. “I’ve been trying to get back by doing rehab, but a few weeks ago I kind of injured it again. It has been tough not being able to train. I don’t want to do anything half-assed. I want to do it 100 percent. Your identity becomes what you do, and it has been tough [to make this decision].”

Florian ends his Octagon career with a promotional record of 12-5, debuting with the organization as a blown-up middleweight on the original season of “TUF.” After falling in the season finale to winner Diego Sanchez in 2005, “KenFlo” squared off with Sean Sherk for the vacant lightweight strap the following year, falling in a five-round unanimous decision. Six consecutive victories would follow, but Florian once again came up short in his bid to capture the lightweight title, this time suffering a submission loss to B.J. Penn in 2009.

Florian capped his career at featherweight, topping Diego Nunes this past June to earn a shot at 145-pound pacesetter Jose Aldo. The Massachusetts native would again taste defeat in his third UFC title fight, however, dropping a unanimous nod to the hard-hitting Brazilian at UFC 136 this past October.

Though Florian will no longer appear inside the cage, the 36-year-old says fans will see plenty of him on the other side of the chain-link fence.

“I’m so thankful that I’m able to do commentary and do shows like ‘UFC Tonight.’ I’m definitely going to be busy doing stuff on TV for this sport. I’m going to be coaching. I’m opening a gym in the L.A. area soon, and I’m going to get a blog going, because I’m passionate about health and nutrition.”

Florian could not nail down one single career-defining highlight, but the fighter told Anik that he is thankful for all the positive moments in his career, including the opportunity to compete inside the Octagon.

“I don’t know what I would have done if Dana hadn’t [seen me fight and asked me to try out for ‘TUF’],” said Florian. “I’m just so thankful to the UFC and Zuffa for everything they’ve done. Fighting found me, and I’m a much better person because of it. I’m happy.”

How to Watch UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett

International broadcast listings for UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett read news >>

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Kenny Florian's Brother Found Dead | MMAWeekly.com

The brother of UFC commentator and former title contender Kenny Florian passed away on Sunday. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Chael Sonnen Payback Would be a Great Way to End His Career | MMAWeekly.com

For Tito Ortiz, there is no better way to end his career than to exact payback upon Chael Sonnen. read news >>

Why Does BJ Penn Want to Return Now? | MMAWeekly.com

After seemingly ending his career, over the past two years, UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn has had time to reconsider. So, why come back now? read news >>