Former three-time UFC title challenger Kenny Florian has retired as an active competitor.

UFC President Dana White made the announcement following “The Ultimate Fighter 15” Finale weigh-ins on Fuel TV. Florian was then introduced, explaining the motivation behind his decision.

“I’ve dealt with injuries in the past. Back in November, I hurt my back working out, and it hasn’t quite been the same,” Florian told host and broadcast partner Jon Anik. “I’ve been trying to get back by doing rehab, but a few weeks ago I kind of injured it again. It has been tough not being able to train. I don’t want to do anything half-assed. I want to do it 100 percent. Your identity becomes what you do, and it has been tough [to make this decision].”

Florian ends his Octagon career with a promotional record of 12-5, debuting with the organization as a blown-up middleweight on the original season of “TUF.” After falling in the season finale to winner Diego Sanchez in 2005, “KenFlo” squared off with Sean Sherk for the vacant lightweight strap the following year, falling in a five-round unanimous decision. Six consecutive victories would follow, but Florian once again came up short in his bid to capture the lightweight title, this time suffering a submission loss to B.J. Penn in 2009.

Florian capped his career at featherweight, topping Diego Nunes this past June to earn a shot at 145-pound pacesetter Jose Aldo. The Massachusetts native would again taste defeat in his third UFC title fight, however, dropping a unanimous nod to the hard-hitting Brazilian at UFC 136 this past October.

Though Florian will no longer appear inside the cage, the 36-year-old says fans will see plenty of him on the other side of the chain-link fence.

“I’m so thankful that I’m able to do commentary and do shows like ‘UFC Tonight.’ I’m definitely going to be busy doing stuff on TV for this sport. I’m going to be coaching. I’m opening a gym in the L.A. area soon, and I’m going to get a blog going, because I’m passionate about health and nutrition.”

Florian could not nail down one single career-defining highlight, but the fighter told Anik that he is thankful for all the positive moments in his career, including the opportunity to compete inside the Octagon.

“I don’t know what I would have done if Dana hadn’t [seen me fight and asked me to try out for ‘TUF’],” said Florian. “I’m just so thankful to the UFC and Zuffa for everything they’ve done. Fighting found me, and I’m a much better person because of it. I’m happy.”

Julius Anglickas Building a Solid Career Heading into Next Shamrock FC Fight

Building off of an active amateur career, Julius Anglickas is on track heading into Saturday's Shamrock FC. read news >>

Bryan Caraway%26#x2019;s career blossoming after upsetting Aljamain Sterling (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Defeating the previously unbeaten No. 4-ranked bantamweight is nothing compared to the struggles Caraway has overcome in his personal life. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 Results: Jeremy Stephens Spoils Renan Barao’s Featherweight Debut

Jeremy Stephens scored the biggest win of his career on Sunday night, spoiling former bantamweight champion Rena Barao's arrival at 145 pounds. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

Kimbo Slice Hospitalized: Latest Updates on MMA Fighter's Status

MMA fighter Kimbo Slice was reportedly hospitalized Monday. Continue for updates. Police Gathering Information Monday, June 6 TMZ Sports reported the police turned to family members for information a read news >>

‘Kimbo Slice’ Wanted to Be Remembered as a Family Man and as a Fighter Who Evolved

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson started his fighting career as a street fighter with heavy hands made famous by Youtube videos of his backyard brawls. read news >>

How Well Do You Remember the Career of Kimbo Slice?

Test your knowledge with a look back at the life and career of Kimbo Slice. read news >>