Kenny Florian and Diego Nunes at UFC 131

Kenny Florian throws some head kicks at Diego Nunes at UFC 131.

Kenny Florian is officially 1-0 as a 145lber, and it appears his 2nd fight in the division will be for the UFC featherweight title.

Following UFC 131 in which Florian won a unanimous decision over top ten fighter Diego Nunes, UFC President Dana White put him next in line for a crack at Jose Aldo.

“More than likely, how’s that for confirmation?” White answered when asked if Florian was next in line to face Aldo.

The UFC’s reigning featherweight champion was originally scheduled to meet Chad Mendes at UFC 133 in August, but a lingering injury forced Aldo out of action until at least late September.

In the meantime, Mendes opted to stay on the card at UFC 133 and will face Rani Yahya in a featherweight bout on the card.

At least for now it looks like Mendes’ decision to keep fighting will land Florian a shot at Jose Aldo and the UFC featherweight belt.

“This is why I’m in the UFC, to fight the best guys and to test myself,” Florian said after UFC 131.

“I want a shot at the belt. I think Jose Aldo’s one of the best fighters in the game, and a lot of respect for him, big fan, but I think every UFC fighter’s dream is and should be to be a UFC champion.”

When Aldo was forced out of the August 6 card, his manager Ed Soares told MMAWeekly.com that he would likely be able to sign on for a fight as early as the UFC 135 card in Denver on Sept 24.

“I would feel comfortable signing a bout agreement for him to fight at the end of September. For whatever that’s worth,” Soares said about Aldo’s timetable to return.

It’s more likely that an Aldo vs. Florian fight would be held for a card such as UFC 136 in October in Houston, which will also feature the next UFC Fan Expo.

UFC officials had previously planned to hold the heavyweight title fight between Cain Velasquez and new No. 1 contender Junior Dos Santos on the card, but UFC President Dana White stated recently that the fight would likely take place in ’4 to 5 months’ and not as soon as they would have liked.

An Aldo vs. Florian main event or co-main event could be just the fight the UFC needs to help push the October card.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dana White: Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

  • 27 days ago
  • 36 views

The UFC president was a guest on The Russillo Show on ESPN Radio on Tuesday (July 7, 2015) and he disclosed just how much money Jose Aldo was set to earn at UFC 189. Jose Aldo may have withdrawn from read news >>

Dana White: UFC 189 passed U.S. gate record following McGregor-Mendes announcement

  • 27 days ago
  • 40 views

The sense of disappointment when Jose Aldo had to drop out of his scheduled UFC 189 main event against Conor McGregor due to a broken rib was widespread. But the idea this would be a deathblow proved read news >>

Urijah Faber pokes fun at Conor McGregor on Instagram

  • 27 days ago
  • 701 views

Urijah Faber mocks Conor McGregor on Instagram. The trash talk between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo has been put on hold due to the champion's withdrawal from UFC 189 after suffering a rib fracture d read news >>

Ryan Jimmo, Hatsu Hioki among 14 fighters cut from the UFC

  • 27 days ago
  • 22 views

The UFC’s Reebok era has officially begun, but 14 fighters won’t experience it. Octagon veterans Ryan Jimmo, Robbie Peralta, Hatsu Hioki and Brian Ebersole are part of the long list of fighters recen read news >>

UFC 189 video: Chael Sonnen blasts Jose Aldo and his team for releasing rib injury to the public

  • 27 days ago
  • 405 views

The former UFC fighter doesn't approve of the Brazilian's decision to release his x-rays. read news >>

Jose Aldo's out-of-competition drug test results come back clean for UFC 189 after fishy fiasco

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

Mixed martial arts (MMA) conspiracy theorists took a big blow earlier this week when drug test results for Jose Aldo came back clean. Indeed, brows furrowed when the Ultimate Fighting Championship (U read news >>

UFC 189: Who's on the Hot Seat in Las Vegas This Weekend?

  • 28 days ago
  • 4 views

Although UFC 189 lost Jose Aldo, it remains an outstanding event that is filled with big names. Some of those noteworthy individuals will be competing for UFC gold. With Aldo out, Conor McGregor will read news >>

Jose Aldo’s out-of-competition drug test comes back clean

  • 28 days ago
  • 10 views

Jose Aldo passed his pre-UFC 189 out-of-competition drug test. The first and only UFC featherweight champion was randomly tested on June 12 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, tested negative for prohibited s read news >>

Jose Aldo's UFC 189 pre-fight urine tests come back negative

  • 28 days ago
  • 4 views

Even though the UFC featherweight champion will not defend his title at UFC 189 anymore, his out-of-competition urine test results still came back negative for all banned substances. Jose Aldo won't read news >>

Jose Aldo passed controversial out-of-competition UFC 189 test

  • 28 days ago
  • 3 views

Jose Aldo was negative for steroids and other performance-enhancers after a botched out-of-competition test conducted this past month by the NSAC in connection with Saturday’s UFC 189.Filed under: Ne read news >>