Kenny Florian Believes A Win over Diego Nunes at UFC 131 Earns Him a Shot at Jose Aldo

• submit to reddit
Kenny Florian UFC 101

Kenny Florian

Kenny Florian’s dedication to always fight the best will be shown when he faces Top 5 ranked featherweight Diego Nunes at UFC 131. If he wins, he believes that’s all the evidence he’ll need to face Jose Aldo next.

When Kenny Florian moved down to the featherweight division it was with two goals in mind.

First he wanted to be the UFC featherweight champion, and second he wanted the chance to face current titleholder Jose Aldo.

Before he can accomplish either of those, Florian first has to get by Aldo’s teammate Diego Nunes on Saturday night in Vancouver.

A 16-1 overall record and a 5-1 record in his time with the WEC, Nunes is a top five ranked featherweight with a lot of skills in his back pocket, yet somehow he’s a huge underdog to Florian coming into their bout at UFC 131.

Florian is one person who understands how good Nunes is and he won’t underestimate what he brings to the table when they meet in the Octagon.

“Diego Nunes, he’s a guy that trains with Jose Aldo, excellent striker, very tough to keep on his back. So I see it as a true, true challenge in my career. One of the toughest of my career. It’s a great opportunity to now get a shot at the belt. This is a guy who’s one of the top in the world,” Florian told MMAWeekly Radio.

While relatively unknown to many in the MMA world, Nunes possesses knockout power and a wide array of submissions. It also doesn’t hurt that he goes punch for punch with UFC featherweight king Jose Aldo in the gym everyday.

“Diego Nunes poses a lot of problems for me. He’s a grinder, he’s a very technical and fast striker, and he’s 16-1, he trains with one of the best teams in the world over at Nova Uniao. There’s a reason why he’s one of the top fighters in the world,” Florian said.

“I have my work cut out for me.”

A student of the game, Florian has never been shy when it comes to asking for help to make sure he gets ready for the next challenge ahead. He still works with his brother Keith at their academy in Boston, but Florian has also branched out to work with coaches like Firas Zahabi and other gyms to make sure he’s 100-percent prepared for this fight.

Florian even brought in famed Muay Thai fighter Cosmo Alexandre to help him polish up his striking as he gets ready to face Nunes this weekend.

Once labeled as a jiu-jitsu fighter, Florian has added striking, wrestling, and other weapons to his arsenal to make sure Nunes or any opponent can’t begin to predict where he’ll be coming from when he attacks.

“I don’t really care how they regard me whether it’s a jiu-jitsu guy, a striker, a wrestler, just hopefully they regard me as one of the best in the world,” said Florian. “I think the key is having as many weapons as possible.”

If Florian brings every weapon in his arsenal to the fight with Nunes on Saturday night, he’s confident he’ll make the kind of debut he’s been hoping for when he dropped to featherweight.

He also knows that if he wins, that’s a victory over a top five featherweight, and then he wants Jose Aldo next.

“If I beat him, I think with everything I’ve done at 55 and beating a guy like that, I think it sets me up nicely to have my next fight be for the belt.”

Florian may just get his wish, but he first has to get that win over Diego Nunes. He’ll see if he can do that Saturday night in Vancouver.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

With last night's (Sat., June 28, 2014) victory over Jeremy Stephens in the main event of UFC Fight Night 44 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, Cub Swanson is now undefeated in his last six fights inside the Octagon. Sprinkled in there are three bonus awards and a whole hell of a lot of combat entertainment. So why is it he's still struggling to get into the title discussion? It could be -- and most likely is -- that Jose Aldo is still the king of the featherweight division. That's the sa more

Chad Mendes will have to wait a little longer to get his second shot at the UFC title. UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo has suffered an injury that will force him out of his seventh UFC title defense on August 2 in Los Angeles, California, against the Alpha Male product, MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported on Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight on FOX Sports 1. UFC president Dana White confirmed the news, but there’s no word yet on a new main event for UFC 176. Mendes earned his second U more

UFC 176's main event featherweight title fight has been wiped out for now thanks to an injury to the champion. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

Perennial UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort feels he's been waiting on the sidelines for too long and is ready for another crack at UFC gold. Following 185-pound champ Chris Weidman's hard-fought win by decision over Lyoto Machida at UFC 175 Saturday night, "The Phenom" was quick to make it known on Twitter that he wants the next shot at "The All-American": Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT — Vitor Belfo more

LAS VEGAS – UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo’s injury won’t keep him from a rematch with No. 1 contender Chad Mendes.Filed under: News, UFC more

"Money" may get the title fight he wants with (or without) Aldo after UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta declared that the promotion would consider the possibility of an interim featherweight title fight if "Junior" isn't cleared by October. Chad Mendes' hopes of getting his revenge on Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion Jose Aldo were delayed after an injury to "Junior" forced a cancellation of their rematch; which was set to go down at UFC 176 on Aug. 2, 2014 in Los Angeles, Cali more

UFC on FOX analysts Kenny Florian, Daniel Cormier and host Karyn Bryant welcome former UFC welterweight contender Chris Lytle to the analyst desk for UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs. Miller coverage. more

Brad Tavares believes Tim Boetsch will be gunning for a conservative victory, not an exciting fight, when the pair meet at UFC Fight Night 47 later this summer.Filed under: News, UFC more

The war of words between UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and No. 1 contender Chad Mendes over performance-enhancing drugs continued Tuesday with the latter's appearance on Sherdog Radio. Asked whether or not he believed Aldo was a PED user, Mendes seemed sure of it. "I definitely do [think Aldo's using PEDs]," said Mendes. "This is something that's been ongoing, but for him to all of a sudden just drop out -- I mean he drops out of a lot of fights -- but I think it's pretty coincidental." A more