Kawajiri on Gomi: ‘He’s My Arch Rival’


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit
Four years ago, Tatsuya Kawajiri succumbed to a rear-naked choke from Takanori Gomi at Pride “Bushido 9” at the Ariake Coliseum in Tokyo. Now 31, the former Shooto champion has not forgotten the sting of defeat that night in September 2005, and if fate sees fit, he wants another crack at the one-time Pride Fighting Championships lightweight king.

Gomi (30-5, 1 NC) knocked out Takashi Nakakura at a Shooto event in May, as he snapped a two-fight losing streak. It seems his demise may have been greatly overexaggerated.

“He was very strong. There is no point in comparing his past and present since it may mean that he improved,” Kawajiri said. “Ultimately, if I have the chance and if that’s what the fans wish to see, I’d like to fight him again. He’s my arch rival.”

Kawajiri expected Gomi to rebound from losses to Sergey Golyaev and Satoru Kitaoka inside the Sengoku promotion.

“He was different from the Gomi that I fought,” he said. “I knew he was better.”

Kawajiri (24-5-2) also has designs on a rematch with Caol Uno, whom he battled to a draw at a Shooto event in March 2004. Uno, however, returned to the UFC earlier this month and lost a unanimous decision to Spencer Fisher in Germany.

“I’m not so concerned about the rematch not taking place,” Kawajiri said. “I hope he does well in the UFC. It takes a lot of courage to fight in the UFC today. If we keep on fighting, we might as well meet again in the ring. Only time will tell.”

In the meantime, as he prepares for a K-1 rules match with Masato Kobayashi on July 13 in Tokyo, Kawajiri plans to monitor the Dream featherweight grand prix and teammate Hiroyuki Takaya.

“I would like to see him win since I train with him,” Kawajiri said. “I also believe he has all the tools to win the tournament.”

He sees Hideo Tokoro -- a submission winner against Abel Cullum at Dream 9 -- as the darkhorse.

“The one fighter who you have to keep an eye on is Hideo Tokoro. He seems to have something outside of his abilities. To keep winning in a tournament like this, you need to bring in luck and catch the flow of the tournament for things to go your way. Coming up with a submission win the way he did after three straight defeats -- that’s amazing. He isn’t your ordinary fighter.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 13 days ago
  • 32 views

Five years ago, John Kavanagh and a swarm of his students funneled through the doors of Dublin's O2 arena to watch Dan Henderson eek out a split decision over Rich Franklin at the UFC's now-infamously raucous debut in Ireland's capital. At the time, Conor McGregor was just 20 years old, a 3-1 baby to mixed martial arts and light years removed from the countrywide superstardom that awaited him. "That night, Conor said to me he was going to main event it when [the UFC] came back," Kavanagh, who's more

  • 13 days ago
  • 28 views

ATLANTIC CITY – Just three short years ago, UFC President Dana White infamously claimed women would “never” fight in his promotion’s famed octagon. Now, Claudia Gadelha and Tina Lahdemaki kick off the UFC’s second female division.Filed under: (...) more

  • 12 days ago
  • 28 views

From Yahoo Sports: Five years ago, Irishman Tom Egan brought a new level of excitement to Dublin, helping to pave the way for promising UFC fighter Conor McGregor. more

  • 6 days ago
  • 0 views

Five years ago, Tom Egan was the first (true) Irishman to fight in the UFC. His debut coincided with the UFC’s inaugural visit to Dublin, the capital city, at UFC 93. When Egan came out for his fight with Brit John Hathaway, he was given a hero's welcome from the partisan crowd. Until then, and even after, Irish MMA presented itself in the surrogate form of Marcus "The Irish Hand Grenade" Davis, an American.And in a sense, the UFC’s return to Dublin this past Saturday at UFC Fight Night 46 had a more

  • a day ago
  • 3 views

From Yahoo Sports: Two years ago, Robbie Lawler and Anthony Johnson were UFC rejects, among the scores of promising fighters who failed to live up to their billing. Now, they're title contenders more

  • 25 days ago
  • 37 views

Ricardo Lamas sounds like he’s gearing up for his next fight, even though he’s got a date with a doctor before he steps back into the cage.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

  • 25 days ago
  • 31 views

It's a pretty safe bet that someone will get knocked out when Japanese legend Takanori Gomi takes on up-and-coming lightweight Myles Jury this September at Saitama Super Arena outside of Tokyo. The bout was first reported Wednesday night by Damon Martin of FoxSports.com. Gomi, The Fireball Kid, (35-9-1, 4-4 UFC) is a mainstay on UFC Japan cards. Though he is 35 years old and diminishing as a fighter, he still carries major punching power and a dogged drive to win, not to mention a titanic reputa more

  • 25 days ago
  • 30 views

One of the sport's brightest prospects takes on one of Japan's most decorated champions. I guess he got tired of waiting for Nate Diaz to answer the phone. Undefeated 155-pound sensation Myles Jury has been paired off against former PRIDE lightweight champion Takanori Gomi for the UFC Fight Night 52: "Hunt vs. Nelson" mixed martial arts (MMA) event on Fight Pass, which is scheduled for Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, on Sept. 20, 2014. FOX Sports reported the pending match up on Wednesday more

  • 25 days ago
  • 16 views

Although he lost a good chunk of time in his career, Stefan Struve is fortunate to be returning to the cage after a heart condition put his health at risk.Filed under: News, UFC more