The women’s bantamweight title bout between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey has garnered nearly all of the media attention in the weeks leading up to Saturday’s Strikeforce card.

Once fight night is over, however, K.J. Noons wouldn’t be surprised if the water-cooler talk centers around his co-main event tussle with former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

“I don’t really have to say too much. My fight is always ‘Fight of the Night,’ and K.J. Noons is definitely stealing the show. Look at my track record,” Noons said during a recent media conference call. “I’m really excited to be fighting somebody like Josh Thomson; it’s gonna be a barnburner. I’m training as hard as I’ve ever trained, so I’m ready.”

The former EliteXC lightweight king was victorious in his last outing, beating Billy Evangelista via unanimous decision at Strikeforce “Melendez vs. Masvidal” in December. Prior to that, the Hawaii native had lost two straight, falling to Jorge Masvidal in June and Nick Diaz in October 2010.

A win over Masvidal likely would have earned Noons a title shot against Strikeforce 155-pound titlist Gilbert Melendez, but instead it was “Gamebred” who received that opportunity. A barren Strikeforce roster allows for a quick turnaround, however, and now the winner of Noons-Thomson is being touted as the next challenger for the lightweight strap. Noons isn’t making any future reservations these days.

“I kind of put my foot in my mouth when I said I wanted a title shot and lost [to Masvidal],” he said. “I’m kind of superstitious, so I just want to concentrate on the fight ahead of me.”

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was noncommittal regarding the No. 1 contender status of the winner of Saturday’s fight, which takes place at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

“Both of these guys are definitely at the top of the division. We’ll make a decision based on performances,” Coker said.

Regardless of what the future holds, the man known as “King” is looking forward to putting on a show. According to Noons, it’s a foregone conclusion that his fight will entertain the masses.

“It’s something that’s in your blood,” he said. “I’ve had almost 45 pro fights in boxing, kickboxing and MMA, and every single fight I’ve had has always been ‘Fight of the Night.’ I have a true passion for fighting and it’s going to be exciting.”

From Around the Web

'UFC 189 Championship Tour Embedded,' No. 8: 'Dana White's gonna f-ck us up'

In the eighth episode of “UFC 189 World Championship Tour Embedded, Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor were apparently ready to tangle at a media stop – but it was the threat of UFC President Dana White th read news >>

Josh Thomson and Ross Pearson verbally agree to UFC lightweight bangfest on Twitter

Oh, the power of social media. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) matchmakers Sean Shelby and Joe Silva have tough jobs putting together high-profile fights with the ever-increasing stable of UFC f read news >>

Alistair Overeem amazed by Roy Nelson's durability at UFC 185

The former Strikeforce and K-1 champ spoke to Fox News about his UFC 185 win over "Big Country" in Dallas. Alistair Overeeem spoke with Fox Sports after his UFC 185 win over Roy Nelson and had some c read news >>

UFC 189 World Tour Embedded, Episode 7: ‘We're gonna take over Dublin’

In the latest episode of the UFC 189 World Tour embedded series, Jose Aldo trains at Vitor Ribeiro’s jiu-jitsu school in New York and Conor McGregor does a photo shoot with tons of money before they read news >>

UFC 189 'Embedded' video blog (Ep. 6): Whatcha gonna do, Brazilian bitch?

Are we there yet? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) continues to bash us over the head with its promotion for UFC 189: "Aldo vs. McGregor," the championship pay-per-view (PPV) doubleheader that ta read news >>

Bellator 135 preview: Ryan Couture, son of a UFC legend, looks to make his own name in MMA

Former Strikeforce and UFC fighter Ryan Couture is currently working his way up Bellator's lightweight rankings after a successful debut last September. The next challenge ahead is Dakota Cochrane on read news >>

Dana White plans to talk to Josh Koscheck about retirement: I'm gonna try to push him in that direction

UFC President Dana White revealed that he is inclined to push Josh Koscheck towards retirement, even though he has a “soft spot” for the TUF season 1 fighters. It was a mere three weeks ago that UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Jessica Eye planned for June UFC event

A number one contender bout between women's bantamweights Miesha Tate and Jessica Eye will happen at a UFC event in June, with the winner getting a title shot. On the same day as the announcement of read news >>

Miesha Tate, Bryan Caraway say UFC knows Tate will be one to beat Ronda Rousey

RIO DE JANEIRO – While she needs to clear the hurdle of Jessica Eye first, Miesha Tate believes the UFC knows she’s the woman to beat Ronda Rousey.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>