K.J. Noons on Strikeforce Bout with Josh Thomson: ‘It’s Gonna Be a Barnburner’

The women’s bantamweight title bout between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey has garnered nearly all of the media attention in the weeks leading up to Saturday’s Strikeforce card.

Once fight night is over, however, K.J. Noons wouldn’t be surprised if the water-cooler talk centers around his co-main event tussle with former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

“I don’t really have to say too much. My fight is always ‘Fight of the Night,’ and K.J. Noons is definitely stealing the show. Look at my track record,” Noons said during a recent media conference call. “I’m really excited to be fighting somebody like Josh Thomson; it’s gonna be a barnburner. I’m training as hard as I’ve ever trained, so I’m ready.”

The former EliteXC lightweight king was victorious in his last outing, beating Billy Evangelista via unanimous decision at Strikeforce “Melendez vs. Masvidal” in December. Prior to that, the Hawaii native had lost two straight, falling to Jorge Masvidal in June and Nick Diaz in October 2010.

A win over Masvidal likely would have earned Noons a title shot against Strikeforce 155-pound titlist Gilbert Melendez, but instead it was “Gamebred” who received that opportunity. A barren Strikeforce roster allows for a quick turnaround, however, and now the winner of Noons-Thomson is being touted as the next challenger for the lightweight strap. Noons isn’t making any future reservations these days.

“I kind of put my foot in my mouth when I said I wanted a title shot and lost [to Masvidal],” he said. “I’m kind of superstitious, so I just want to concentrate on the fight ahead of me.”

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was noncommittal regarding the No. 1 contender status of the winner of Saturday’s fight, which takes place at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

“Both of these guys are definitely at the top of the division. We’ll make a decision based on performances,” Coker said.

Regardless of what the future holds, the man known as “King” is looking forward to putting on a show. According to Noons, it’s a foregone conclusion that his fight will entertain the masses.

“It’s something that’s in your blood,” he said. “I’ve had almost 45 pro fights in boxing, kickboxing and MMA, and every single fight I’ve had has always been ‘Fight of the Night.’ I have a true passion for fighting and it’s going to be exciting.”

Former Strikeforce bantamweight champion Miesha Tate revealed that she was interested in avenging her loss to Cat Zingano. Although her sights are firmly set on her upcoming opponent, Miesha Tate hop read news >>

Miesha Tate is no stranger to big moments. The former Strikeforce bantamweight champion turned UFC contender has been involved in some of the biggest fights to ever hit the women's mixed martial arts read news >>

Former Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate handed Rin Nakai her first career loss at UFC Fight Night 52: Hunt vs. Nelson in Japan on Saturday. read news >>

• a day ago

Following their recent wins, it appears UFC women’s bantamweight contenders Sara McMann and Miesha Tate are ready for a fight against each other.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate isn’t going to entertain the idea that another fight with women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey is off the table. But if the UFC says it is, she has a plan.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Winning doesn't make your job easier in mixed martial arts (MMA), it only makes it harder. That's because Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will ensure each opponent is harder than the last (usual read news >>

Josh Hill has suffered an injury 10 days before his bantamweight title fight against Marlon Moraes at WSOF 13. Cody Bollinger has stepped in on short notice, but he will not get a shot at the belt. read news >>

While Marlon Moraes’ WSOF bantamweight title won’t be on the line when he meets Cody Bollinger in next weekend’s WSOF 13 headliner, the Brazilian considers it a title match and vows to send his oppon read news >>