K.J. Noons on Strikeforce Bout with Josh Thomson: ‘It’s Gonna Be a Barnburner’

• submit to reddit

The women’s bantamweight title bout between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey has garnered nearly all of the media attention in the weeks leading up to Saturday’s Strikeforce card.

Once fight night is over, however, K.J. Noons wouldn’t be surprised if the water-cooler talk centers around his co-main event tussle with former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

“I don’t really have to say too much. My fight is always ‘Fight of the Night,’ and K.J. Noons is definitely stealing the show. Look at my track record,” Noons said during a recent media conference call. “I’m really excited to be fighting somebody like Josh Thomson; it’s gonna be a barnburner. I’m training as hard as I’ve ever trained, so I’m ready.”

The former EliteXC lightweight king was victorious in his last outing, beating Billy Evangelista via unanimous decision at Strikeforce “Melendez vs. Masvidal” in December. Prior to that, the Hawaii native had lost two straight, falling to Jorge Masvidal in June and Nick Diaz in October 2010.

A win over Masvidal likely would have earned Noons a title shot against Strikeforce 155-pound titlist Gilbert Melendez, but instead it was “Gamebred” who received that opportunity. A barren Strikeforce roster allows for a quick turnaround, however, and now the winner of Noons-Thomson is being touted as the next challenger for the lightweight strap. Noons isn’t making any future reservations these days.

“I kind of put my foot in my mouth when I said I wanted a title shot and lost [to Masvidal],” he said. “I’m kind of superstitious, so I just want to concentrate on the fight ahead of me.”

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was noncommittal regarding the No. 1 contender status of the winner of Saturday’s fight, which takes place at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

“Both of these guys are definitely at the top of the division. We’ll make a decision based on performances,” Coker said.

Regardless of what the future holds, the man known as “King” is looking forward to putting on a show. According to Noons, it’s a foregone conclusion that his fight will entertain the masses.

“It’s something that’s in your blood,” he said. “I’ve had almost 45 pro fights in boxing, kickboxing and MMA, and every single fight I’ve had has always been ‘Fight of the Night.’ I have a true passion for fighting and it’s going to be exciting.”

Lightweight bouts between Bobby Green and Abel Trujillo, as well asMichael Johnson and Josh Thomson are no more. more

UFC lightweight Michael Johnson (15-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC) has pulled out of his fight with Josh Thomson (20-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) at UFC on Fox 12 with an injury. MMAJunkie.com reported the news on Friday. Update: UFC.com has reported that Bobby Green will be stepping up on short-notice to face Thomson. Green was originally slated to face Abel Trujillo, in a fight that was moved from UFC 176 to UFC Fight Night 47 in Bangor, Maine. The card, which is headlined by a welterweight showdown between top contender more

Lightweight contender Michael Johnson has been forced out of his UFC on FOX 12 bout against Josh Thomson due to injury, with Bobby "King" Green stepping in to face "The Punk" on July 26. more

Green is forced to abandon Abel Trujillo at UFC Fight Night 47 in Maine; however, the promotion is expected to find a new opponent for "Killa" in the next few days. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight number one contender, Josh Thomson, is still competing this month, thanks to a last-minute save from Bobby Green for the upcoming UFC on FOX 12 event, scheduled for the SAP Center in San Jose, California, on July 26, 2014. FOX Sports brought word of the 155-pound pairing earlier more

With Michael Johnson forced out of UFC on FOX 12, Bobby Green has agreed to step in on short notice and face Josh Thomson.Filed under: News, UFC more

Accepting the bout was apparently the easy part. Getting his opponent to follow through on it seems to be the real challenge.Filed under: News, UFC more

LAS VEGAS – Russell Doane realizes his position opening the UFC 175 pay-per-view main card against Marcus Brimage is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. To make the most of that opportunity, Doane “changed everything up.”Filed under: News, UFC more

Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Tarec Saffiedine is a man on a mission. After a successful UFC debut in January against Hyun Gyu Lim, Saffiedine has been looking to get back into the cage. He was initially expected to face Jake Ellenberger at UFC 172 in May, but had to withdraw due to injury. 'The Sponge', however, is feeling better and ready to get back to work. First up? If Saffiedine had his way, it'd be Rory MacDonald. Saffiedine recently called out MacDonald on The MMA Hour. He tol more