K.J. Noons on Strikeforce Bout with Josh Thomson: ‘It’s Gonna Be a Barnburner’

• submit to reddit

The women’s bantamweight title bout between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey has garnered nearly all of the media attention in the weeks leading up to Saturday’s Strikeforce card.

Once fight night is over, however, K.J. Noons wouldn’t be surprised if the water-cooler talk centers around his co-main event tussle with former Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson.

“I don’t really have to say too much. My fight is always ‘Fight of the Night,’ and K.J. Noons is definitely stealing the show. Look at my track record,” Noons said during a recent media conference call. “I’m really excited to be fighting somebody like Josh Thomson; it’s gonna be a barnburner. I’m training as hard as I’ve ever trained, so I’m ready.”

The former EliteXC lightweight king was victorious in his last outing, beating Billy Evangelista via unanimous decision at Strikeforce “Melendez vs. Masvidal” in December. Prior to that, the Hawaii native had lost two straight, falling to Jorge Masvidal in June and Nick Diaz in October 2010.

A win over Masvidal likely would have earned Noons a title shot against Strikeforce 155-pound titlist Gilbert Melendez, but instead it was “Gamebred” who received that opportunity. A barren Strikeforce roster allows for a quick turnaround, however, and now the winner of Noons-Thomson is being touted as the next challenger for the lightweight strap. Noons isn’t making any future reservations these days.

“I kind of put my foot in my mouth when I said I wanted a title shot and lost [to Masvidal],” he said. “I’m kind of superstitious, so I just want to concentrate on the fight ahead of me.”

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker was noncommittal regarding the No. 1 contender status of the winner of Saturday’s fight, which takes place at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

“Both of these guys are definitely at the top of the division. We’ll make a decision based on performances,” Coker said.

Regardless of what the future holds, the man known as “King” is looking forward to putting on a show. According to Noons, it’s a foregone conclusion that his fight will entertain the masses.

“It’s something that’s in your blood,” he said. “I’ve had almost 45 pro fights in boxing, kickboxing and MMA, and every single fight I’ve had has always been ‘Fight of the Night.’ I have a true passion for fighting and it’s going to be exciting.”

UFC women’s bantamweight title challenger Alexi Davis spoke with members of the media in a pre-fight scrum, where she discussed a variety of topics, including Judo vs Jiu-Jitsu, as well as who she would want to walk her out to the cage. more

LAS VEGAS – Ronda Rousey defends her women’s bantamweight title again on Saturday night, and you might be hard pressed to find someone picking her to lose. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

The former No. 1 contender for Ronda Rousey’s UFC women’s bantamweight title will make her return to the cage at UFC 178 in Las Vegas on September 27. Cat Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who has been out of action since defeating Miesha Tate at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale in April 2013, will take on Amanda Nunes (9-3 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in the Octagon when the UFC returns to the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Kevin Iole from Yahoo Sports first reported the news. After earning a coaching spot opposite Ronda Ro more

UFC bantamweight Bryan Caraway thought he was doing something nice when he took his parents on vacation in Cancun recently, but if not for some quick-thinking heroics by fellow UFC fighter Miesha Tate, it could have been deadly.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

Ahead of his bout against Bobby Green at UFC on Fox 12, Josh Thomson shares his thoughts on the UFC's higher weight classes.
It's long been known that the smaller weight class fighters are generally more technical. They're better wrestlers, better kickboxers, and better grapplers, at least from a pure technique stanpoint. But, Josh Thomson is taking his rhetoric a step further in suggesting that fighters in the higher weight classes aren't even really competing as mixed martial artists. It came more

This is the UFC on FOX 12 live blog for Josh Thomson vs. Bobby Green, a lightweight bout at Saturday night's UFC event at the SAP Center in San Jose, Calif.Thomson, who has won two of his past five fights, will face Green, who has won seven straight fights, on the main card.Check out the UFC on FOX 12 live blog below. More Coverage: UFC on FOX 12 Results | UFC newsDownload MMA Fighting iPhone App Round 1: Herb Dean is the referee. Both fighters open orthodox with Green doing some of the pressing more

UFC fighter Bobby Green won his bout against Josh Thomson, but as important as that victory was, it also signaled time for Green to delve into the loss of his murdered brother. more

• a day ago

Brazilian Marlon Moraes will put his WSOF bantamweight title on the line for the time in September against an unbeaten foe. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, WSOF more

On Saturday night, the UFC middleweight title and women's bantamweight title are on the line in Las Vegas, Nevada. The main event sees Lyoto Machida challenge Chris Weidman for the former, while Alexis Davis will challenge Ronda Rousey for the latter.
In addition, Stefan Struve will make his UFC return after being out for over a year, and Urijah Faber is fighting on the prelims for the first time in his UFC career.
Meanwhile, a few individuals may be fighting to remain with the company.
Competit more