When the UFC called K.J. Noons to let him know he’d be fighting Donald Cerrone in his promotional debut at UFC 160, the Strikeforce veteran immediately liked the matchup.

“I thought right away it’s a great matchup, great fireworks,” Noons told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I’ve got a lot of respect for the guy as a fighter … . He’s very well versed. He’s a very well-rounded fighter. He likes to stand and bang, and he can mix it up anywhere.”

The lightweight bout will take place Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Noons enters the fight having lost four of his last five, but his last defeat in particular was controversial. Many observers believe he defeated Ryan Couture, though the judges gave Couture a split decision.

“I’m not making excuses for my losses, but the last five fights, the first loss was to Nick Diaz, which was a very close fight in a weight division which I don’t even fight in,” Noons said. “I did that for the organization because they asked me to. … I did lose to [Jorge] Masvidal, so we can say that’s a loss. Came back and won a fight after that, and then I fought Josh [Thomson] and he just laid on me like a human blanket. I kind of look at that like he was pretty scared to fight. I guess it wasn’t even really a fight, and then last fight, the judges gave it to [Couture]. Like I said, I’m not trying to make a lot of excuses, but it’s just kind of where the cards fell.”

In Noons’ view, the UFC brought him over from Strikeforce because he’s an entertaining fighter who deserved the nod against Couture.

“Stylistically, I believe I still have a lot of fights left,” Noons said. “I’m an exciting fighter. I think that has a lot to play in what the UFC decides. … I’m pretty confident that my style of fighting is pretty exciting and people like to watch it. That’s what the UFC likes. They like exciting fights and what people want to see.”

Cerrone is also known as an exciting fighter. On paper at least, the matchup looks to be a barnburner assuming both fighters are willing to trade on the feet. Noons isn’t so sure Cerrone will look to stand, though.

“There’s only been one person that’s stood and banged with me,” he said. “It was Nick Diaz. I don’t know if that’s the smartest thing … . I train for every aspect of the game because it’s MMA. It might look like it’s going to be a standup war, but people want to put it wherever it’s going to be the most to their advantage. I feel like the biggest advantage for me is standing. He’s probably going to be wanting to take it anywhere, make my hands tired, make legs tired. I’m ready for wherever the fight goes. I think it’s going to be exciting anywhere.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:25:39).

UFC 202 Primer: Donald Cerrone vs. Rick Story Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Donald Cerrone's (30-7, 1 NC) rise as a welterweight contender will be put to the test at UFC 202, where he'll square off against Rick Story (19-8). Cerrone finished 2015 with a disappointing result read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Cowboy Cerrone and Bob Saget

Donald Cerrone calls in live from Lake Mead ahead of his fight against Rick Story at UFC 202 and talks skydiving, Diaz vs. McGregor 2, and more. Then, comic and actor Bob Saget talks to Jim and Matt read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Rick Story Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

Donald Cerrone is starting to gain steam as a welterweight. The longtime lightweight contender picked up his third consecutive victory in the 170-pound division with a second-round technical knockout read news >>

UFC 202 Results: Donald Cerrone Picture Perfect in TKO of Rick Story

Donald Cerrone's welterweight hot streak continued at UFC 202 on Saturday night with a picture-perfect finish of Rick Story. read news >>

UFC 202 Fight Highlights: Donald Cerrone Finishes Rick Story with Stunning Combination

Check out the UFC 202 fight highlights from the bout between Donald Cerrone and Rick Story. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Willing to Fight at 155 or 170 at UFC 205 in New York (Video)

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone challenged lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez following his UFC 202 win over Rick Story, wants to fight at UFC 205 in New York. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Adds to Legacy with His 18th UFC Victory

Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone was victorious at UFC 202 with a stellar performance against one of the toughest outs in the entire welterweight division. He dispatched Rick Story inside of two rounds with a read news >>

Donald Cerrone Happy with Difficult Win, Taking Aim at UFC 205 in New York

Donald Cerrone overcame difficult circumstances to win at UFC 202 over the weekend, now his sights are set on UFC 205 at Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Inks New 8-Fight UFC Deal

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone appears hell bent on riding out his career in the Octagon, as he's signed a new 8-fight deal with the UFC. read news >>

Moreno all heart as he enters Ultimate Fighter

Brandon Moreno got into MMA as a way to stay busy as a young child. But now, as he gets his shot at fame on The Ultimate Fighter season 24, he's going all-out. read news >>