K.J. Noons Is Gunning for a Title Shot with Win Over Jorge Masvidal

• submit to reddit

K.J. Noons

Strikeforce official Scott Coker on Wednesday stated that the upcoming fight between K.J. Noons and Jorge Masvidal could possibly be disguised as a No. 1 contender’s match with the winner being the next in line to face champion Gilbert Melendez.

As vague as can be, Coker didn’t set anything in stone, while also mentioning the fight between Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante and Justin Wilcox as a potential contender’s bout as well, but most are pointing towards Noons vs. Masvidal for that honor.

With so much discussion about the winner from the fight going on to face the No.1 lightweight in the world, there’s hardly any talk about the actual match-up itself.

Noons, a former pro boxer and kickboxer with 14 knockouts on his record, is getting ready for the challenge ahead, but he is in no way looking past Jorge Masvidal.

“The ultimate goal is to be the best in the world. This is super motivating, I’m not looking anywhere near past Masvidal,” Noons told MMAWeekly Radio. “This is the first hurdle I have to overcome. I’m just so motivated and so pumped to get another title shot. I feel blessed with the opportunities I’ve been in, and just show that hard work and dedication pays off.”

Noons has never been one to back down from a challenge. He went up in weight class for his last fight and ended up going five rounds with former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz.

While he still believes he won the fight, regardless of the judges’ decision, Noons is the only fighter to take Diaz to a decision during his current nine-fight win streak. Diaz’s win streak started after a TKO loss to Noons in 2007.

But for Noons his goal isn’t to be the toughest guy, or the guy with the best chin, or the guy who almost made it to the top. He wants to be the best fighter in the lightweight division and the next person in his way is Jorge Masvidal.

“He’s a great opponent, great striker, I’ve got nothing bad to say about the guy,” Noons said about Masvidal. “For No. 1 contender (and a shot at the title), I want to have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

While Masvidal himself is a striker as well, winning 10 fights of his own by KO or TKO, the last time he faced a powerful puncher, he approached the match-up with a more strategic game plan.

Much like when Noons went up in weight to challenge himself against Diaz, Masvidal did the same, going up to 170 pounds for a fight against British bad boy Paul Daley in 2010. The fight ended up going to Daley by decision, but Masvidal fought smart, looking for takedowns on the knockout artist instead of standing on the outside and winging punches with him.

So could Masvidal be looking at a similar game plan facing Noons on Saturday night?

Well, Noons isn’t too concerned about it and, as a matter of fact, he thinks Masvidal might want to be the one worrying about takedowns.

“I don’t know, we’re going to have to see when we get in the fight. I like to consider myself a little bit more dynamic or a better strategic fighter than Daley, so maybe I can get better angles or a better game plan than him to get the shot or the punch I need,” Noons explained.

“I’ve got really good takedowns, I just don’t tend to do it. I want to put it where it’s exciting, where I like to fight, and I like to stand up and fight, but if it calls for it I’ll take somebody down, who knows, take a picture, I might even submit somebody.”

It might be a shocker if Noons somehow pulls off a gogoplata, but not nearly as much of a surprise if he’s able to get the job done against Masvidal and earn a shot at Gilbert Melendez later this year.

Noons will look to accomplish that goal on Saturday night.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Perennial UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort feels he's been waiting on the sidelines for too long and is ready for another crack at UFC gold. Following 185-pound champ Chris Weidman's hard-fought win by decision over Lyoto Machida at UFC 175 Saturday night, "The Phenom" was quick to make it known on Twitter that he wants the next shot at "The All-American": Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT
— Vitor Belfo more

UFC Featherweight Dennis Bermudez revealed following his UFC on FOX 12 win over Clay Guida that he believed his 7-fight win streak warranted a title shot against the division's champ.
With the third longest active win streak on the UFC roster, Dennis Bermudez believes it is just a matter of time before he is handed a title shot for his efforts.
The TUF veteran is coming off a fantastic second round submission victory over the durable Clay Guida, which put him at seven consecutive wins since losi more

How many fights does an "Eagle" have to win inside the Octagon before he gets a title shot? One more, apparently. Khabib Nurmagomedov has racked up six straight wins inside the Octagon against some rather stiff competition since making his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) debut back in 2012.
Couple those six victories with the 16 others he won in his undefeated (22-0, 6-0 UFC) professional mixed martial arts (MMA) career, and the Russian-born fighter has made a pretty good case for a title s more

DUBLIN – The line between future star and overhyped can be thin. Irishman Conor McGregor is straddling that line as he prepares to headline his first UFC show in front of his home fans in Dublin. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

"Gamebred" and "The Detroit Superstar" talk about their upcoming bout this Saturday on Fox. UFC on Fox 12: Lawler vs. Brown promises to deliver more MMA action than Fox has ever aired. For the first time Fox will be airing a UFC preliminary card on the broadcast network this Saturday. Headlining those prelims are Lightweight stalwarts Jorge Masvidal and Daron Cruickshank.
Masvidal spoke to SBN alumni E. Spencer Kyte about the fight,"I've got to stay active. I'm not one of those guys that can fig more

Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown fight for title shot implications for UFC on FOX 12. These cards lately have been awesome. And now for another solid outing. Where's your "oversaturation is killing the sport" card now, infidel?! Touche.
The UFC has been doing a solid job of getting me excited for watching a card at length, as opposed to in spots. True, some of the matchmaking has been squash-ish in nature, but it's also just been a matter of flat out solid matchmaking itself. Barboza vs. Dunham was more

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

Jorge Masvidal weathered a knockdown in the first round of his UFC on Fox 12 bout against Daron Cruickshank to score a unanimous decision victory. more

• a day ago

"Gamebred" vs. "King" ... who's the contender and who's the pretender?
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) continues its run of outstanding matchmaking as today it brings word that Jorge Masvidal and Bobby Green will face off at the upcoming UFC 178 pay-per-view (PPV) event, scheduled for Sept. 27, 2014 inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Masvidal (27-8) recently scored back-to-back unanimous decision wins, the latter of which came at the expense of Daron Cruickshank at UFC on F more