Justin Gaethje - Ring of Fire 41Having been steadily building his career since debuting as an amateur in 2006, Colorado lightweight Justin Gaethje has finally arrived in a large promotion with the chance of getting national exposure after signing with the World Series of Fighting.

“I’ve been working towards those goals and had some big fights last year which set me up to get a phone call from the WSoF,” said Gaethje. “All that work is finally paying off and I’m going to a big show.

“It’s something that I’ve been waiting for and I’m pumped. I saw their first show and it was great and they have great supporters and backers, so I think it sets up for something good.”

A standout wrestler at Northern Colorado University, Gaethje told MMAWeekly.com that his continued work at Grudge Training Center has elevated him from a one-dimensional fighter to an all-around dangerous threat.

“I had to rely a lot on my wrestling when I first started out, and working at Grudge with some of the best coaches around has helped my stand-up come a long way,” said Gaethje. “I’m just working to where I’m well-rounded so (my opponents) have to worry about everything and keep them guessing.”

Gaethje’s development in his striking could play a big part in his WSoF debut on March 23 when he takes on Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante in Atlantic City, N.J., to be broadcast on the NBC Sports Network.

“JZ is a great fighter and can be a real brawler, so I’m expecting it to be a real exciting fight,” Gaethje said. “I just think I’m going to have success on my feet with my kicks and punches, and I think I’m going to be able to knock him out on the feet.

“If he wants to go to the ground, I invite him to try to take me down, which I don’t think he’ll be able to do. I think he’s going to be stuck on his feet and he’s going to get hit and he’s not going to know what to do.”

A win over a solid veteran such as Cavalcante on a nationally broadcasted event could very well be the springboard to bring Gaethje major exposure and set him up for a big run in the promotion in the coming years.

“When I signed my contract they said they wanted to build me up, but then they throw me to the wolves,” said Gaethje with a laugh. “I’m looking to win this fight convincingly and hopefully they’ll put me up for a title or somewhere close.

“I’m ready and excited to show everybody what I’ve been working my whole life for.”

Mark Hunt Comes Full Circle with Bigfoot Rematch (UFC 193 Scrum Video)

Forty-one-year-old Mark Hunt has had an unprecedented career, and it comes full circle in his UFC 193 rematch with Bigfoot Silva in Melbourne, Australia. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Next Step in Career After Holly Holm UFC Fight, More

UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has become a recognisable figure for even the most causal of sports fans over the past year, but as the American gets set for the biggest night in her career at read news >>

UFC 193 preview: A closer look at Ronda Rousey's career statistics

Ronda Rousey’s pro debut came less than five years ago, but the 28-year-old has already taken the sport by storm – both in and out of the octagon.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Trading Shots: Is there a redemption tale somewhere in this chapter of Belfort's career?

In this week’s Trading Shots, Danny Downes and Ben Fowlkes debate Vitor Belfort’s first win of the post-TRT era, and wonder what it means for a fighter with a long and complicated history.Filed under read news >>

Tibau picks up 17th career UFC win with sub of Trujillo

Check out the results from the Fight Night Sao Paulo FOX Sports 1 prelims which included wins by Gleison Tibau, Johnny Case, Thiago Tavares and Chas Skelly. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77’s Kevin Souza wants a top-five opponent with win

UFC featherweight Kevin Souza said injuries have hampered his career, but he’s still managed to win three straight in the UFC’s octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Chas Skelly Continuing to Establish Himself as a Top UFC Featherweight

After suffering the only loss of his career in 2014 to Mirsad Bektic in his UFC debut, featherweight Chas “Scrapper” Skelly has rebounded with three straight wins. read news >>

Alan 'The Talent' Belcher Retires

Alan Belcher called it a career Friday, announcing his retirement from MMA after an 11-year journey which included 18 victories and nine knockouts. read news >>

James Thompson on Bobby Lashley's MMA career: 'I don't know what he's thinking'

James Thompson isn’t particularly impressed with the way in which Bellator 145 opponent Bobby Lashley has gone through his MMA career. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Balancing Fighting with the Military, Sean Richman Ready to Prove He’s Legit

Having to balance his military service, his family, and his fighting career, Sean Richman is out to prove he's legit at RFA 32 on Friday night. read news >>