Justin Gaethje - Ring of Fire 41Having been steadily building his career since debuting as an amateur in 2006, Colorado lightweight Justin Gaethje has finally arrived in a large promotion with the chance of getting national exposure after signing with the World Series of Fighting.

“I’ve been working towards those goals and had some big fights last year which set me up to get a phone call from the WSoF,” said Gaethje. “All that work is finally paying off and I’m going to a big show.

“It’s something that I’ve been waiting for and I’m pumped. I saw their first show and it was great and they have great supporters and backers, so I think it sets up for something good.”

A standout wrestler at Northern Colorado University, Gaethje told MMAWeekly.com that his continued work at Grudge Training Center has elevated him from a one-dimensional fighter to an all-around dangerous threat.

“I had to rely a lot on my wrestling when I first started out, and working at Grudge with some of the best coaches around has helped my stand-up come a long way,” said Gaethje. “I’m just working to where I’m well-rounded so (my opponents) have to worry about everything and keep them guessing.”

Gaethje’s development in his striking could play a big part in his WSoF debut on March 23 when he takes on Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante in Atlantic City, N.J., to be broadcast on the NBC Sports Network.

“JZ is a great fighter and can be a real brawler, so I’m expecting it to be a real exciting fight,” Gaethje said. “I just think I’m going to have success on my feet with my kicks and punches, and I think I’m going to be able to knock him out on the feet.

“If he wants to go to the ground, I invite him to try to take me down, which I don’t think he’ll be able to do. I think he’s going to be stuck on his feet and he’s going to get hit and he’s not going to know what to do.”

A win over a solid veteran such as Cavalcante on a nationally broadcasted event could very well be the springboard to bring Gaethje major exposure and set him up for a big run in the promotion in the coming years.

“When I signed my contract they said they wanted to build me up, but then they throw me to the wolves,” said Gaethje with a laugh. “I’m looking to win this fight convincingly and hopefully they’ll put me up for a title or somewhere close.

“I’m ready and excited to show everybody what I’ve been working my whole life for.”

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Chael Sonnen Payback Would be a Great Way to End His Career | MMAWeekly.com

For Tito Ortiz, there is no better way to end his career than to exact payback upon Chael Sonnen. read news >>

Why Does BJ Penn Want to Return Now? | MMAWeekly.com

After seemingly ending his career, over the past two years, UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn has had time to reconsider. So, why come back now? read news >>

Would Luke Rockhold Pose Nude for His Modeling Career? | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has delved into modeling. Inside MMA talked to him about it, as well as his rematch with Jacare Souza and relationship with Demi Lovato. read news >>

After going to judges for entire UFC career, Michel Prazeres has knockout planned in Brazil

Like many fighters who get asked about a penchant to go to the judges’ scorecards, Michel Prazeres believes there’s good reason he hasn’t been able to finish the four fighters he has wins over in the read news >>