A flyweight bout between Jussier Formiga (14-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and Chris Cariaso (14-4 MMA, 4-2 UFC) is the latest addition to June’s UFC on FX 8 event in Brazil.
Tatame.com first brought word of the matchup, though UFC officials haven’t made a formal announcement.
UFC on FX 8 takes place May 18, likely at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul. The event’s main card airs on FX following prelims on FUEL TV and Facebook.
Formiga vs. Cariaso likely will be part of the prelims.
Formiga (previously known as Jussier da Silva), who gets to compete in his home country, fights for the first time since his UFC debut in October. There, he suffered a TKO loss to recent title challenger John Dodson, which snapped a five-fight win streak for the world’s former top-ranked 125-pounder.
The submission specialist now meets Cariaso, who was on a 4-1 run that included a flyweight-debut victory over Josh Ferguson. However, in his following bout, the former WEC fighter suffered a submission loss to upcoming title challenger John Moraga at UFC 155. He now fights for the first time since that December defeat.
The latest UFC on FX 8 card includes:
- Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Constantinos Philippou vs. Ronaldo Souza
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Evan Dunham
- CB Dollaway vs. Cezar Ferreira
- Lance Benoist vs. Paulo Thiago
- Chris Cariaso vs. Jussier Formiga*
- Azamat Gashimov vs. John Lineker
- John Cholish vs. Gleison Tibau
- Mike Rio vs. Francisco Trinaldo
- Roger Hollett vs. Fabio Maldonado
* – Not officially announced
For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Jussier Formiga)