A couple weeks ago, UFC president Dana White was targeting UFC 152 in Toronto to host the heavyweight title fight between champion Junior dos Santos and challenger Cain Velasquez.

On Saturday night’s UFC 147 Post-Fight show on Fuel TV, White confirmed that the fight would not likely happen at UFC 152 after all.

The fight between dos Santos and Velasquez is a rematch of their first fight at the first UFC on Fox event back in November of last year.

While the bout is still going to happen, Canadian fans expecting it for the Toronto show in September are likely to be disappointed.

“The fight will happen, they’re probably not going to fight in Toronto though,” White stated.

The shoe is on the other foot – or the belt around the other waist – this time, as Velasquez held the belt going into UFC on Fox 1.

Dos Santos dropped Velasquez with an overhand right a minute into their fight and finished him off with punches on the mat to take the belt. He has since defended the belt once, defeating Frank Mir with a second round TKO at UFC 146 in May.

Now according to White, it’s up to the UFC heavyweight champion when the fight will take place.

“It’s going to depend on Junior,” said White. “We’ll see what happens.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Anthony Pettis still open to featherweight fights against Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor

  • 17 days ago

Plans to drop to featherweight were dashed a few years back after former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis suffered a knee injury, one that cancelled his much-anticipated "super fight" against read news >>

Report: Belfort fought at UFC 152 after testing for elevated testosterone

  • 18 days ago

Vitor Belfort is no stranger to drug testing controversy, but now another issue has been uncovered stemming from a test taken prior to his short-notice UFC title fight vs. Jon Jones. It's almost 3 ye read news >>

Tito Ortiz plans to 'heal up and chill for a bit' before talking MMA return after loss at Bellator 142

  • 19 days ago

At 40 years of age, Tito Ortiz isn't ready to call it a day on his mixed martial arts (MMA) career just yet. This, despite getting choked out by Liam McGeary in the main event of last night's (Sat. S read news >>

David Branch says he’s ‘a surgeon inside the cage,’ plans to defend both belts after WSOF 23

  • 21 days ago

David Branch knows a thing or two about handling four-man tournaments. The 33-year-old captured his World Series of Fighting middleweight belt with a surprising run through the promotion's inaugural read news >>

Dana White has ‘nothing to tell you’ about Fedor: ‘I don’t know what their plans are’

  • 22 days ago

UFC President Dana White offered some insight into the potential negotiations between the UFC and Fedor Emelianenko. UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey may be the featured attraction at t read news >>

Bellator champ Liam McGeary star-struck by Tito Ortiz but plans to make name off him

  • 22 days ago

Liam McGeary was 16 when Tito Ortiz won his first UFC title in 2000. As they ready for a title fight in Saturday’s Bellator 142 main event, McGeary admitted he’s been a bit star-struck by the challen read news >>

'Different' Emanuel Newton plans to reclaim Light Heavyweight gold, starting with Phil Davis at 'Dynamite 1'

  • 23 days ago

Former Light Heavyweight champion Emanuel Newton was consistently underestimated by his opponents at their own peril. And he undoubtedly hopes Phil Davis makes the same mistake this weekend. Everyone read news >>

Manager: Josh Barnett has no future plans to compete at Metamoris

  • 23 days ago

Not only is Josh Barnett not currently scheduled to compete against Chael Sonnen at an upcoming Metamoris submission grappling event, don't expect him to compete for the promotion anytime soon. "Josh read news >>

Nick Diaz's team plans further legal action after 'kangaroo court' suspension

  • 25 days ago

LAS VEGAS – Nick Diaz’s attorney blasted a five-year suspension handed down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission and said legal action against the regulatory body is forthcoming.Filed under: Featu read news >>

Bagautinov plans to fight for 3-4 more years before transitioning to political career

  • 25 days ago

UFC flyweight Ali Bagautinov plans to fight for three or four more years before transitioning to a career in politics. Fresh of a yearlong suspension for performance enhancing substances, Ali Bagauti read news >>