Junior dos Santos defended his UFC heavyweight championship for the first time on Saturday night, knocking out former titlist Frank Mir in the main event of UFC 146.

Prior to his triumph at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, however, “Cigano” successfully foretold how the fight would end at Friday’s weigh-ins. His title belt now resting securely around his waist, Dos Santos says that the prophetic prediction was not made out of simple gamesmanship. According to the champ, he truly believed that he would hit the jackpot in round two.

“[The second-round knockout] was my strategy for the fight,” dos Santos at Saturday’s post-fight press conference. “I thought he came to take me down, and in the first round, I was trying to keep my distance and make him tired. In the second round, it was my plan to walk a little more forward than in the first, and it worked. I think when you believe so much in yourself, that things happen. That’s why I’m so positive.”

Mir attempted to close the distance early in round one, latching onto a single-leg before trying to pull the champion down into a foot lock. The American’s efforts proved fruitless, as the champion escaped and then began to work his jab, staggering Mir with a right hook to close out the frame.

Things only got worse for Mir in the second stanza. Dos Santos started to loosen up even further, rifling shots to Mir’s body and head while avoiding most of Mir’s blows and keeping out of takedown range. The finish came 3:04 into round two, when the Brazilian snapped back Mir’s head with a hard right straight and landed a hammering fist on the ground for good measure. Though he was dominant from start to finish, dos Santos was complimentary of his opponent’s resilience after the bout.

“This was a good fight for me,” said dos Santos. “[Mir] can really take a punch. I’m feeling some pain on my hand now. It was a good fight, but every fight that I have, I have more experience. I came into this fight more confident to use my speed and my boxing skills to win.”

Upon earning the knockout, dos Santos was cheered enthusiastically by a large contingent of Brazilian supporters, some of which dos Santos says came to the event just to see him fight.

“It was fantastic for me to see all of the Brazilian flags. All the Brazilian people in the crowd made me so proud and so energized,” said dos Santos. “Every time I looked up, I could hear them and see the flags. It was such a great, positive vibe, and I’m so glad to be here representing everybody from Brazil. I thank them for their support.”

Now with a successful title defense to his credit, dos Santos is expected to next put his belt on the line against the man he knocked out to capture the gold, Cain Velasquez. While dos Santos declined to offer a prediction on how that return fight might play out, he says he would approach the bout as the most important of his career.

“I don’t care who is my next opponent. If I have to fight with Velasquez again, I’m ready. Let’s do it,” said dos Santos. “Velasquez is really tough. In my mind, he is different in this division, because he is very fast and his stamina is really good. For sure, he is dangerous and a good fighter.”

After Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, Junior dos Santos says MMA is ‘way bigger than boxing’

Now that one of the biggest fights of all times is in the books, what’s next for boxing and MMA? Floyd Mayweather defeated Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night in one of the most anticipated fights in th read news >>

Junior dos Santos: Alistair Overeem only calls me out when I'm injured

"Cigano" also says "The Reem" is a much better talker than he is fighter. Alistair Overeem has made it a point to prove to mixed martial arts (MMA) fans -- and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Pr read news >>

Junior dos Santos on Alistair Overeem: 'He's a better talker than a fighter'

Injured Junior dos Santos responded to Alistair Overeem's recent comments about wanting to fight him. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 280 - Junior dos Santos

Junior dos Santos discusses his recent injury rehab and what's next for him. read news >>

Junior dos Santos: Alistair Overeem ‘is a better talker than a fighter’

Alistair Overeem was matched up twice against Junior dos Santos in the UFC, but had to pull out both times for different reasons. "The Reem" is once again calling out the former champion, and the Bra read news >>

The MMA Hour with Daniel Cormier, Anthony Johnson, Junior dos Santos, Ryan Bader, Malki Kawa, Michelle Waterson, Jessica

The Mixed Martial Arts Hour is back in your life. Below is a look at Monday's rundown: 1:00 p.m. ET -- MMAFighting.com's Luke Thomas will recap Mayweather vs. Pacquaio and talk about the fall of Jon read news >>

Junior dos Santos and Rogerio Nogueira pick Pacquiao over Mayweather

Two Brazilian UFC stars with serious boxing knowledge favor Manny Pacquiao over favorite Floyd Mayweather. For JDS, Pacquiao's speed will be the main difference. Floyd Mayweather might be the favorit read news >>

Frank Mir: Todd Duffee is a dick and a coward and I'm training to hurt him on July 15

Frank Mir understands how the game is played. When you want to make a name for yourself, like up-and-coming heavyweight slugger Todd Duffee, you target a "name" and talk the requisite trash until you read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #1951 with Frank Mir, Urijah Faber, Chris Algieri

Stream or download Thursday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Frank Mir, Urijah Faber and Chris Algieri.Filed under: News, Radio read news >>

Frank Mir to Todd Duffee: ‘This is me trying to dismember you and trying to hurt you’

Recent weeks in the gym have been pretty enjoyable for ex-UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir. He’s training to hurt someone.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>