Junior dos Santos

UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos is likely to get a new opponent for his planned May 26 title defense at UFC 146 in Las Vegas, and he’s finally talking about it.

His original opposition, Alistair Overeem, failed a surprise drug test following last week’s UFC 146 kickoff press conference. Overeem, along with dos Santos and the four other fighters taking part in the promotional junket, were surprised immediately after by Nevada State Athletic Commission officials demanding a urine sample for screening.

Overeem was the sole fighter of the six tested to return a positive result. His testosterone to epitestosterone ratio measured 14 to 1, according to NSAC executive director Keith Kizer. The allowed limit in Nevada is 6 to 1.

Overeem has the right to request his “B” sample, a second sample taken at the time of the test, be measured to try and refute the “A” sample results, but if history is any indicator, his “B” sample is unlikely to return a significantly different result.

Though he has yet to go before the commission, Overeem is currently unlicensed in Nevada and this test result is expected to result in a denial of license with the inability to re-apply in that state, likely for the next year. A final determination won’t come until the Nevada commission reviews his case.

Nearly everyone even remotely involved, save for Overeem and dos Santos, quickly went on record with their thoughts.

Former champion Frank Mir, who is slated to fight in a No. 1 contender’s bout against Cain Velasquez on the UFC 146 fight card, immediately threw his name in the hat to be considered should Overeem be unable to fight.

UFC president Dana White was beside himself.

“I am beyond pissed about this,” White told theStarPhoenix.com. “The worst part is that he sat in front of us and lied to us.

“How (expletive) stupid do you have to be? Seriously dumb. Anybody who’s using right now is an absolute (expletive) moron.”

While dos Santos was quiet for the first few days following the reports, he took to his official Twitter account on Thursday to comment.

“I am professional and I’m champion without ever having used anything for better performance. When you guys see me fighting, that’s really me,” he wrote.

“About what happened to Overeem, I don’t know anything more than you guys know and for me it’s between him and the Nevada Athletic Commission.”

Thus far, all the pundits, MMAWeekly.com included, believe that Frank Mir is the leading candidate to replace Overeem should he be precluded from fighting, and in all likelihood, he will be precluded from fighting on May 26.

dos Santos doesn’t know what the future holds, but said that his training camp is still focused on fighting Overeem. That is likely to change rather quickly, unless Overeem’s case takes a surprising turn in the opposite direction.

Until things shake out, dos Santos will continue training, planning for a fight against… someone, taking care of the one thing he does know about.

“I know a lot about me, that’s it!”

Follow @KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken Pishna.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Alistair Overeem elects to wait for Junior dos Santos after UFC 191 talks fall through

  • 29 days ago
  • 42 views

Alistair Overeem wants a fight with Junior dos Santos, and he's willing to wait to get it. According to a report from MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani on UFC Tonight, Overeem (39-14, 1 NC) was briefly read news >>

Alistair Overeem declines UFC 191 invite, opts to wait for Junior dos Santos grudge match

  • 28 days ago
  • 107 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was interested in having Alistair Overeem throw hands at the upcoming UFC 191 pay-per-view (PPV) event (see the current fight card here), which takes place on Sep read news >>

Rico Verhoeven responds to Alistair Overeem's GLORY snub: 'Guys like Daniel Ghita might whoop his ass'

  • 20 days ago
  • 82 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight and former K-1 champion, Alistair Overeem, made some waves on Thursday (Aug. 6, 2015) after making some disparaging remarks about the current state of read news >>

Michael Johnson: I think these guys are old news and they’re ready to step aside

  • 19 days ago
  • 5 views

NASHVILLE – UFC lightweight Michael Johnson is unequivocal about his position in the 155-pound division. “Nobody can beat me right now,” he told MMAjunkie.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vid read news >>

Teamster: Even the top guys in UFC are underpaid

  • 18 days ago
  • 230 views

Following the announcement that the Teamsters and UNITE HERE were trying to organize UFC fighters, the UFC let the fighters know that those same unions are the enemies of MMA in New York. Are fighter read news >>

Alistair Overeem to ex-champ Junior Dos Santos: 'Time to get rolling!'

  • 11 days ago
  • 221 views

It’s a fight that seems to make perfect sense given the state of the heavyweight division and a lack of other available options. Alistair Overeem knows it, too.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Junior dos Santos relents to Alistair Overeem: 'Make it happen'

  • 10 days ago
  • 176 views

Junior dos Santos never much fancied a dance with Alistair Overeem, but it appears he's done fighting against it. An incredulous dos Santos responded to accusations of being "afraid" Monday morning b read news >>

Chael Sonnen reacts to 'silly' and 'ridiculous' Anderson Silva drug defense: Don't insult everyone's intelligence

  • 10 days ago
  • 319 views

"Guys who dig their heels in and come out and deny and lie and refuse to admit the findings of the test have always been treated more harshly. In Anderson's case, he went down swinging all the way to read news >>

Alistair Overeem and Junior dos Santos exchange words on Twitter, demand fight

  • 9 days ago
  • 442 views

Alistair Overeem took matters in his own hands and challenged Junior dos Santos via Twitter. The Brazilian gladly accepted. Sometimes a man has to take matters into his own hands. Alistair Overeem di read news >>

Tweets of the Day: Alistair Overeem and Junior Dos Santos are still beefing

  • 2 days ago
  • 244 views

Alistair Overeem and Junior Dos Santos hasn't stopped beefing on social media. While both Alistair Overeem and Junior dos Santos have been campaigning for the fight, there doesn't seem to be any bout read news >>