The fight card for UFC 146 features several Brazilians in high-profile matchups, but none are more high-stakes than Junior dos Santos’ UFC heavyweight title defense against former Strikeforce titleholder Alistair Overeem.

Since joining the UFC in 2008, dos Santos has conquered a number of talented foes, including Fabricio Werdum, Gabriel Gonzaga and, most recently, ex-champ Cain Velasquez. While “Cigano” took on legendary striker Mirko Filipovic in 2009, the Brazilian has never faced a world-class kickboxer in his prime. That is exactly the task he faces with his next bout against Overeem, a grand prix champion in the world’s most prestigious standup event, K-1.

“I think it’s the ultimate test for my striking,” said dos Santos, who has publicly contemplated an Olympic boxing bid for 2016. “It’s still the biggest challenge. He was a K-1 champion, which is the greatest striking event in the world. He’s a very strong guy, good, but I trust in myself a lot and I try for the knockout in all of my fights. Regardless of him being a striker or not, I’m going for the knockout.”

Of course, like any good champion, dos Santos has a backup plan to surprise the Dutchman.

“Jiu-jitsu can be Plan B. I’m an MMA fighter, training in everything,” dos Santos said. “I’m well prepared to fight, whether standing or on the ground, and if I find it necessary to take it to the ground, it will happen.”

Despite training alongside ground wizards the Nogueira brothers, grappling hasn’t been easy for dos Santos. After taking the belt from Velasquez in November, Cigano underwent knee surgery, which delayed his return to jiu-jitsu training. Now, however, all is well and the champ expect to be at full strength when he takes on Overeem at the end of May.

“The preparation has already begun. I’m training hard for the fight, feeling well. Now is the time to get strong, to then endure the hard training and get to 100 percent for the fight,” explained dos Santos.

Recently, dos Santos received some praise from an unlikely source. Middleweight contender Chael Sonnen, known for his controversial comments about Brazilians, named the heavyweight as a Brazilian who he admires in MMA.

“I was surprised, because he speaks ill of Brazilians and now names me as a favorite,” said dos Santos. “For me, it’s strategy, and if it’s working, I think he really has to do it. His focus is Anderson [Silva], but if I serve as inspiration or anything else, if I help him with anything, good for him and thanks for appreciating my work.”

Dos Santos’ teammate, heavyweight Antonio Silva, recently signed with the UFC and will also compete at UFC 146 against Roy Nelson. For now, the defending champ expects “Bigfoot” to be a sort of “guardian of the title shot,” even while acknowledging that the training partners’ paths may cross in the future.

“We will adapt to how things will be, but the important thing is to support each other.”

Leonardo Fabri contributed to this report.

Pic: Chris Weidman awarded jiu-jitsu black belt ahead of UFC 187 title fight against Vitor Belfort

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight kingpin Chris Weidman is now a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt. Which would make a submission loss to Vitor Belfort hilarious. Weidman goes toe-to-toe read news >>

Junior dos Santos: Alistair Overeem only calls me out when I'm injured

"Cigano" also says "The Reem" is a much better talker than he is fighter. Alistair Overeem has made it a point to prove to mixed martial arts (MMA) fans -- and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Pr read news >>

Junior dos Santos on Alistair Overeem: 'He's a better talker than a fighter'

Injured Junior dos Santos responded to Alistair Overeem's recent comments about wanting to fight him. read news >>

Officials announce revamped UFC Hall of Fame, plan physical location in Las Vegas

The UFC Hall of Fame is getting a fairly substantial facelift ahead of this year’s four-member class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Officials announce revamped UFC Fall of Hame, plan physical location in Las Vegas

The MMA Hour - 280 - Junior dos Santos

Junior dos Santos discusses his recent injury rehab and what's next for him. read news >>

Junior dos Santos: Alistair Overeem ‘is a better talker than a fighter’

Alistair Overeem was matched up twice against Junior dos Santos in the UFC, but had to pull out both times for different reasons. "The Reem" is once again calling out the former champion, and the Bra read news >>

The MMA Hour with Daniel Cormier, Anthony Johnson, Junior dos Santos, Ryan Bader, Malki Kawa, Michelle Waterson, Jessica

The Mixed Martial Arts Hour is back in your life. Below is a look at Monday's rundown: 1:00 p.m. ET -- MMAFighting.com's Luke Thomas will recap Mayweather vs. Pacquaio and talk about the fall of Jon read news >>

Junior dos Santos and Rogerio Nogueira pick Pacquiao over Mayweather

Two Brazilian UFC stars with serious boxing knowledge favor Manny Pacquiao over favorite Floyd Mayweather. For JDS, Pacquiao's speed will be the main difference. Floyd Mayweather might be the favorit read news >>

Anthony Johnson Says New Opponent, Same Game Plan for UFC 187: 'Whoop Ass'

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is still fighting for the UFC light heavyweight title on May 23. He's just not fighting Jon Jones anymore. After Jones was stripped of his championship and indefinitely suspe read news >>