Junior dos Santos Asks UFC to Face Alistair Overeem Next Instead of Cain Velasquez


UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos is throwing a wrinkle into the current title contender picture because he doesn’t want to face Cain Velasquez next.

That’s not to say that dos Santos is turning down a fight with Velasquez, or avoiding the fight in any way, shape or form.

No, according to UFC president Dana White, it’s because the UFC’s top heavyweight has his eyes set on a slightly bigger target. Bigger as in six-foot-five former Dream, Strikeforce and K-1 Grand Prix champion Alistair Overeem.

White revealed on Saturday night after the UFC on Fox 4 press conference ended that dos Santos has asked to face Overeem next instead of Velasquez because the Dutch striker is “a punk” and he wants to shut him up.

Overeem hasn’t been quiet about his desire to face dos Santos when he’s eligible to get licensed later this year after his ‘suspension’ from the Nevada State Athletic Commission expires in December. (Technically, Overeem was not suspended but his license was denied and he had to agree not to apply for another license for 9 months).

“He can talk all he wants, I know he’s very happy that fight didn’t happen,” Overeem told MMAWeekly.com back in July. “I know he’s afraid to fight me.”

The two heavyweights were originally scheduled to meet as the headline fight at UFC 146 before Overeem tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone that led to his eventual removal from the card, and de facto suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

Obviously Overeem’s words struck a nerve with the Brazilian and now dos Santos is gunning for a fight with the Dutchman in the UFC.

The UFC has yet to make a decision regarding the fight, but Dana White had to admit “I like that” when talking about the possibility of dos Santos vs. Overeem happening.

White did also say it would be a tough decision to take the title fight already promised to Cain Velasquez away from him, but dos Santos has made it clear who he’d prefer to fight.

Will dos Santos wait for Overeem to return or will he opt to go ahead with the fight against Velasquez?

That decision will be left up to Dana White and the other UFC brass.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 17 days ago
  • 6 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos was among eight fighters who received six-month medical suspensions in the aftermath of December's UFC on FOX 13 event, according to information rele read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 2 views

Former UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos took home more than a quarter-million dollars for his slugfest with Stipe Miocic in the headliner of this past month’s UFC on FOX 13 event.Filed under: read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones says he'd fight heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez in a 'heartbeat,' but has no plans to leave the 205-pound division. read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos banked the biggest income at UFC on FOX 13 for his win over Stipe Miocic on last month's card, according to reports on Tuesday. read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 15 views

Junior dos Santos could be facing six months on the sidelines following his five-round slugfest with Stipe Miocic at UFC on Fox 13. read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 2 views

Junior dos Santos fought tough battles in his past UFC fights, and underwent two surgeries on Thursday. The former UFC heavyweight champion, who defeated Stipe Miocic via unanimous decision in Decemb read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 28 views

I guess that rules out a Travis Browne fight. After a 25-minute war against Stipe Miocic, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White warned the mixed martial arts (MMA) community that read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos had a rough fight the last time out, but on Thursday had successful surgery to put him back on the mend. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 3 views

A heavyweight showdown between Alistair Overeem and Roy Nelson will go down at UFC 185. read news >>