Junior Dos Santos’ Trainer Believes Alistair Overeem Did Not Want to Fight ‘Cigano’



For the second time, a fight between Junior dos Santos and Alistair Overeem will not happen on schedule.

Last year, a pre-fight drug screen revealed that Overeem’s testosterone to epitestosterone levels were more than double the allowable limit, leading to the cancellation of his bout with dos Santos at UFC 146. On Wednesday, Overeem withdrew from a proposed UFC 160 meeting with “Cigano” due to an injury, and UFC President Dana White later announced that the bout would be postponed until this summer.

In an interview with Sherdog.com, Luiz Dorea, dos Santos’ coach, was skeptical about Overeem’s injury and endorsed the idea of Mark Hunt as a replacement opponent for his fighter. However, White recently revealed on Twitter that Hunt turned down the fight with dos Santos.

"We're not here to doubt, but it's really strange. Cigano's career does not depend on Overeem, but it's the second time that the fight has been canceled,” Dorea said. “What cannot happen is for Cigano to be penalized for it. He never chooses opponents, always accepts any fight and Hunt would be a good name. Injured or not, Overeem won't cause any setbacks for Cigano, who already had to start a camp and doesn’t want to go any longer without fighting. It seems that Overeem doesn't want this fight."

Dorea insisted that there is something amiss regarding the injury to the former Strikeforce champion. A blood test following Overeem’s knockout loss to Antonio Silva at UFC 156 revealed abnormally low testosterone levels for a competitive athlete. While Dorea would not directly say that he believes Overeem is using the injury to allow his testosterone levels return to normal, the trainer remains perplexed by the Dutchman’s withdrawal.

"About that I do not know, but there's something weird there. It is reported that there was an injury, which we have to believe. Overeem is a great athlete, but he has his problems," Dorea said. “What will happen is that everyone who has a scheduled fight against Overeem will be [unsure if it will take place]. This is the second time that Cigano has prepared for this fight, and this requires dedication and money. This postponement will not obstruct Cigano's plans to seek the title shot soon after this fight.

"What else can happen in July, August? Will there be another story, another problem with the lab, or an injury?” Dorea continued. “There are great names in the division without a fight scheduled, .... but Overeem is also a great duel. Except that Overeem teases Cigano, and every time we get close to the fight, we do not know what happens. It's a difficult situation. But I'm quiet, and the UFC is watching."

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 12 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos had a rough fight the last time out, but on Thursday had successful surgery to put him back on the mend. read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 53 views

LAS VEGAS -- During a scrum at UFC 182, Travis Browne talks about wanting a rematch with Fabricio Werdum, his personal expectations, the conversation Joe Rogan had with Brendan Schaub following their read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 18 views

Top Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight Travis Browne is slowly-but-surely creeping his way back into the 265-pound title chase, after grounding and pounding Brendan Schaub at the UFC 18 read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

Get the latest SB Nation rankings at Heavyweight as we try to determine who's better: Junior dos Santos or Fabricio Werdum. Wrap up the year with more rankings! Here is the Heavyweight Top 10 courtes read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 21 views

Vote now in the Bloody Elbow Baddest Tournament to determine the Greatest MMA Striker of All Time. Today's match-up: #2 Junior dos Santos vs. #3 Shogun Rua. Vote now! In a result that was no surprise read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 6 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos was among eight fighters who received six-month medical suspensions in the aftermath of December's UFC on FOX 13 event, according to information rele read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos banked the biggest income at UFC on FOX 13 for his win over Stipe Miocic on last month's card, according to reports on Tuesday. read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 15 views

Junior dos Santos could be facing six months on the sidelines following his five-round slugfest with Stipe Miocic at UFC on Fox 13. read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 2 views

Former UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos took home more than a quarter-million dollars for his slugfest with Stipe Miocic in the headliner of this past month’s UFC on FOX 13 event.Filed under: read news >>