Adriano Martins was on a good run in Brazil, with only one loss in his last 11 fights, a span which also saw him capture the Jungle Fight lightweight title. After his latest defense in March -- a 62-second stoppage of American Jimmy Donahue -- the chance to fight abroad again seemed palpable. On Thursday, Martins’ managers, Alex Davis and Samir Nadaf, confirmed to Sherdog.com that Martins has signed to compete in the Strikeforce lightweight division.

While still unannounced, Martins is rumored to jump stateside Sept. 29, when he’ll meet Greg Jackson product Isaac Vallie-Flagg in Sacramento, Calif. In an exclusive interview with Sherdog.com, the 30-year-old from Manaus, Amazonas, analyzed his new home’s 155-pound division, discussed preparations for his debut, and explained why he opted for Strikeforce over the UFC.

Sherdog.com: How is it to be back fighting abroad, and in an event like Strikeforce?
Adriano Martins: I had fought in Dream, and now I’m in Strikeforce -- for me, that’s already a landmark. I will represent Manaus in an event like this. It’s a long process; it’s been 10 years already. This is a new stage of my life and I embrace the opportunity.

Sherdog.com: Are you still under contract with Jungle Fight?
Martins: No, that ended in March. I won the belt, defended against Jimmy Donahue, and I would have defended against Neilson Gomes, but now I’m contracted with Strikeforce. I’m very grateful to Jungle Fight.

Sherdog.com: Will the training camp for your debut be at Top Life in Amazonas?
Martins: Yes, it will be done around here. Professor Valdecir Silva of the Brazilian national team will be the wrestling coach. Boxing will be with Erminio and Cassio. Jiu-jitsu will be at the gym with my students. The MMA part will be with [Junior] Cardoso, a guy who has trained me for a while. We’ll also bring in Moacir [Mendes] from Porto Alegre to train kickboxing.

Sherdog.com: Have you thought of training wrestling abroad, or bringing someone to Brazil?
Martins: No, not yet. I’ve trained enough wrestling tin the gym and I feel good here. We don’t want to change a lot now, since things have been working well, but maybe in the future we’ll think about having a camp abroad.

Sherdog.com: How do you see the lightweight division in Strikeforce? Can you evaluate it?
Martins: I’ve seen a little. I know that Gilbert Melendez is the champion. I’m going to work to be No. 1, work to win there. I was in talks with the UFC, but the lightweight division there is jam-packed. Even Melendez himself isn’t there yet. They gave me the option to fight in Strikeforce. I’ll do my duty, seek victory against Isaac and work to get to the top. I’m happy where I am now.

Sherdog.com: But it’s undeniable that the eyes of the UFC will be focused on you even more, since Strikeforce is also owned by Zuffa.
Martins: Yes, of course! That’s why we have to work hard there, because I want the best, and everyone knows that the UFC is the best. It’s a dream, and I will fight for it.

#FridayFlashback: Can Conor McGregor Pull Rafael dos Anjos Out of the Mud?

Can UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor reinvigorate the UFC's "stuck in the mud" division? read news >>

How Conor McGregor Stacks Up with the UFC's Lightweight Division

Conor McGregor is slated to fight Rafael dos Anjos for the UFC lightweight title at UFC 197 on March 5. Assuming the UFC meets McGregor’s enormous financial demands, the fight will go ahead. It will read news >>

The State of the UFC Flyweight Division

The flyweight division has the distinction of being the UFC's only weight class to have had just one champion. While this absence of parity can partly be attributed to the division's recent inception read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Winner, Recap, Reaction from Invicta FC 15

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino's scorched-earth campaign through Invicta FC's featherweight division continued at Invicta 15 with the champion defeating Daria Ibragimova in the main event via first-round read news >>

The State of the UFC Men's Bantamweight Division

These bantamweight dynasties—they don’t last forever. Just ask T.J. Dillashaw. On Sunday, it was Dominick Cruz bringing Dillashaw’s reign to a crashing halt after 20 months on top of the men’s 135-po read news >>

Back at 155, Sanchez Faces Miller at UFC 197

After a one-fight experiment in the featherweight division, Diego Sanchez will move back to 155 pounds on Saturday, March 5 when he faces Jim Miller in a UFC FIGHT PASS featured bout on the UFC 197 c read news >>

Former M-1 Challenge heavyweight champ Marcin Tybura signs deal with UFC

The UFC has a new addition to its heavyweight division in the form of an ex-M-1 Challenge champion. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The State of the UFC Featherweight Division

The UFC featherweight division is a tale of two realities. On one hand, it boasts the most marketable champion in mixed martial arts, Conor McGregor. In short order, he has built himself into a cash- read news >>

The State of the UFC Lightweight Division

No division in the UFC boasts a deeper roster of talented fighters than lightweight. The promotion's 155-pounders run the gamut from brutal pressure fighters to suffocating wrestlers to flashy strike read news >>

UFC on FOX 18 Results: Ben Rothwell Submits Josh Barnett

“Big” Ben Rothwell sent a message to the rest of the heavyweight division on Saturday by submitting former champion Josh Barnett in the UFC on FOX 18 co-main event. read news >>