Julia Budd and Shana Olsen at Strikeforce ChallengersAfter alternating wins and losses, winning two fights in a row for the first time in her MMA career last year was a definite step forward for women’s 145-pound prospect Julia “The Jewel” Budd.

“It was definitely a big accomplishment,” said Budd. “I had such a roller-coaster ride for my first four fights, so it was a great feeling to win back-to-back fights for sure.

“I feel like I’m kind of coming into my own and becoming a mixed martial artist and not just a kickboxer-turned-MMA fighter. That’s kind of how I felt in the beginning, that I had to keep it standing and didn’t want to go to the ground, but now I feel like all the training has been going together nicely and I can be known as a true mixed martial artist.”

Budd was hoping to carry her momentum into 2013, but her return at Friday’s Invicta FC 5 in Kansas City has gone anything but smoothly, as she’s been through multiple opponent changes over the last several weeks.

“I was supposed to fight Ediane Gomes, but when Cyborg (Cris Santos) signed, they grabbed Ediane and put those two together,” said Budd. “Then when Ediane got hurt, they took Fiona Muxlow (to face Santos). Then I probably had a couple different opponents who said they were going to fight and then dropped out. So I’d say I prepared for five different fighters.”

Budd told MMAWeekly.com that she learned a valuable lesson from all the opponent changes: she now focuses on her game and what she has to do to prepare for fights and not so much worry what her opponent is going to do, whoever it ends up being.

“I just kind of let that figure itself out and just trusted I’d be on the card still and kept training and stay on target,” said Budd.

“My last fight in Invicta (last October), I think on eight days’ notice, I had Elaina Maxwell drop out on me, so now I feel I’m more comfortable in what I do and am not as much worried about what my opponent is doing.”

Budd is now set to face Mollie Estes. And for this fight, Budd plans on keeping the strategy simple.

“I want to keep this fight standing,” she said. “I want to go back to my Muay Thai roots a little bit and finish this fight on the feet.”

Having found consistency in her MMA career, Budd’s focus is now on going after the Invicta featherweight title, which she feels will come down to her and Cris Santos.

“I’ve felt that way my whole career,” said Budd. “But I never want to overlook anyone, so I’ve got to perform and do well in this fight to get that chance, so I realize how important this fight is.

“I definitely have a goal that by the end of the year I want to be fighting for the Invicta 145-pound title against whomever that may be. I’m excited to see how Cyborg performs, how Fiona performs; I’ll be watching them closely.”

Amber Brown Sees Lisa Ellis as Next Step to an Invicta FC Title in 2016

Amber Brown wants to get an Invicta FC title in 2016, but she knows that Saturday night's fight with Lisa Ellis comes first. read news >>

Kailin Curran: Paige VanZant rematch would be 'awesome for both our careers'

• a day ago

Kailin Curran finally took a step forward in her career when she registered her first UFC victory in December. Now she wants to go backward and rematch Paige VanZant.Filed under: Featured Videos, New read news >>

Invicta FC 15 Cyborg vs Ibragimova: Live Results, Play-by-Play and Highlights

Invicta FC 15 kicks off at 9 p.m. ET on UFC Fight Pass, and the seven-fight event is headlined by Cris "Cyborg" Justino. Cyborg defends her featherweight title against Daria Ibragimova in the main ev read news >>

Invicta FC 15 results: 'Cyborg' wins again, crushing Ibragimova in first

Once again, Cristiane Justino proved she has no equal at 145 pounds, scoring a first-round knockout of Daria Ibragimova with relative ease.Filed under: News read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Winner, Recap, Reaction from Invicta FC 15

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino's scorched-earth campaign through Invicta FC's featherweight division continued at Invicta 15 with the champion defeating Daria Ibragimova in the main event via first-round read news >>

Invicta FC 15 Results: Cris Cyborg Smashes Daria Ibragimova

Cris "Cyborg" Justino proved once again that she reigns on high as queen of Invicta with a first-round finish of Daria Ibragimova at Invicta FC 15 on Saturday in Orange County, Calif. read news >>

Invicta FC 16 heads to Vegas with Alexa Grasso, Irene Aldana, others

Following Saturday’s Invicta FC 15 event, company president Shannon Knapp laid out some plans for Invicta FC 16.Filed under: News read news >>

Twitter reacts to Eddie Alvarez's upset of Anthony Pettis at UFC Fight Night 81

Eddie Alvarez has accomplished much in his career, but at UFC Fight Night 81 he earned arguably his biggest victory to date against ex-UFC champ Anthony Pettis. Check out the top Twitter reactions to read news >>

Dominick Cruz Doesn’t Know What’s Next, Doesn’t Think Injury is Serious

Having finally regained his bantamweight belt, Dominick Cruz doesn't know what's next and doesn't care. read news >>