Julia Budd and Shana Olsen at Strikeforce ChallengersAfter alternating wins and losses, winning two fights in a row for the first time in her MMA career last year was a definite step forward for women’s 145-pound prospect Julia “The Jewel” Budd.

“It was definitely a big accomplishment,” said Budd. “I had such a roller-coaster ride for my first four fights, so it was a great feeling to win back-to-back fights for sure.

“I feel like I’m kind of coming into my own and becoming a mixed martial artist and not just a kickboxer-turned-MMA fighter. That’s kind of how I felt in the beginning, that I had to keep it standing and didn’t want to go to the ground, but now I feel like all the training has been going together nicely and I can be known as a true mixed martial artist.”

Budd was hoping to carry her momentum into 2013, but her return at Friday’s Invicta FC 5 in Kansas City has gone anything but smoothly, as she’s been through multiple opponent changes over the last several weeks.

“I was supposed to fight Ediane Gomes, but when Cyborg (Cris Santos) signed, they grabbed Ediane and put those two together,” said Budd. “Then when Ediane got hurt, they took Fiona Muxlow (to face Santos). Then I probably had a couple different opponents who said they were going to fight and then dropped out. So I’d say I prepared for five different fighters.”

Budd told MMAWeekly.com that she learned a valuable lesson from all the opponent changes: she now focuses on her game and what she has to do to prepare for fights and not so much worry what her opponent is going to do, whoever it ends up being.

“I just kind of let that figure itself out and just trusted I’d be on the card still and kept training and stay on target,” said Budd.

“My last fight in Invicta (last October), I think on eight days’ notice, I had Elaina Maxwell drop out on me, so now I feel I’m more comfortable in what I do and am not as much worried about what my opponent is doing.”

Budd is now set to face Mollie Estes. And for this fight, Budd plans on keeping the strategy simple.

“I want to keep this fight standing,” she said. “I want to go back to my Muay Thai roots a little bit and finish this fight on the feet.”

Having found consistency in her MMA career, Budd’s focus is now on going after the Invicta featherweight title, which she feels will come down to her and Cris Santos.

“I’ve felt that way my whole career,” said Budd. “But I never want to overlook anyone, so I’ve got to perform and do well in this fight to get that chance, so I realize how important this fight is.

“I definitely have a goal that by the end of the year I want to be fighting for the Invicta 145-pound title against whomever that may be. I’m excited to see how Cyborg performs, how Fiona performs; I’ll be watching them closely.”

Ronda Rousey UFC 193 entourage sees Travis IN and her Mother OUT

The lead up to any major fight, for Ronda Rousey, is a whirlwind that comes with its own set of challenges whether that be in the form of a feisty opponent, media obligations and the like; however,… read news >>

Bellator 145 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Freire vs. Straus 3

Daniel Straus finally got it right. On Friday night in St. Louis, Missouri at Bellator 145, Straus defeated long-time nemesis and reigning featherweight champion Patricio "Pitbull" Freire via unanimo read news >>

Alan 'The Talent' Belcher Retires

Alan Belcher called it a career Friday, announcing his retirement from MMA after an 11-year journey which included 18 victories and nine knockouts. read news >>

James Thompson on Bobby Lashley's MMA career: 'I don't know what he's thinking'

James Thompson isn’t particularly impressed with the way in which Bellator 145 opponent Bobby Lashley has gone through his MMA career. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Despite opponent's perfect record, Anthony Birchak sees flaws in Thomas Almeida

Anthony Birchak said he specifically requested to fight Thomas Almeida at this weekend’s UFC Fight Night 77 event. He did so because he thinks he can hand the undefeated Brazilian his first career de read news >>

Balancing Fighting with the Military, Sean Richman Ready to Prove He’s Legit

Having to balance his military service, his family, and his fighting career, Sean Richman is out to prove he's legit at RFA 32 on Friday night. read news >>

Chad Mendes Thinks Frankie Edgar is Being ‘Screwed,’ but Also Sees Opportunity

Chad Mendes believes Frankie Edgar has been getting the short end of the stick in the 145-pound divison for some time, but also sees their bout as a huge opportunity. read news >>

James Thompson's gambling addiction nearly ruined his MMA career

James Thompson can pinpoint the moment it all went downhill: May 31, 2008 is a date that will stick firm in his memory, and many longtime MMA fans remember it just as well.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Glover Teixeira's UFC Fight Night 77 goal? Prove 'I’m ready to fight for the belt' again

At 36 and with a recent two-fight skid, Glover Teixeira’s primary current goal may seem a bit ambitious: He wants to fight again for the title.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Finally Healthy, Abel Trujillo is Fight Ready

Abel Trujillo can’t pinpoint the exact details surrounding the day when he was given the green light to compete again after suffering a broken arm earlier this year, but suffice to say, he was more t read news >>