Judges to Test Half-Point Scoring at MFC 31


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit
Ringside judges at MFC 31 on Friday will score fights using a half-point system, a first in the Maximum Fighting Championship. The Edmonton Combative Sports Commission announced the news in a press release.

“In Edmonton, we have two key stipulations regarding the event Friday night,” said Pat Reid, executive director of the ECSC, in the release. “We will only use COMMAND-certified judges who are familiar with the half-point system.

“As we know, being down a full point in a three-round fight is significant for the fighter who loses the first round,” he added. “Our judges have experimented with this system for the past few competitions -- using the 10-point-must system officially but recording scores by the half-point system unofficially -- and only one fight would have been affected had the half-point system been applied. We would not have had a draw in one fight; we would have had an actual winner if we had been using the half-point point system.”

The half-point concept is actually part of a larger system designed by longtime judge and referee Nelson “Doc” Hamilton. Aside from the addition of half points, Hamilton’s Mixed Martial Arts Specific scoring also calls for a fourth judge to record referee-called submission “catches” and score the bouts based on independent technical criteria to decide the winner in the event of a draw.

However, Sherdog.com confirmed with Reid on Friday that a table judge will not be used at MFC 31.

“I spoke with Doc Hamilton and discussed the table judge addition. What I surmise is that if you have experienced highly qualified judges -- in this case, COMMAND-certified is our requirement -- then you don’t need the fourth judge at a table,” Reid told Sherdog.com. “Our judges have experimented with the half-point system and are quite comfortable with it.”

Headlined by a light heavyweight title confrontation between Ryan Jimmo and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, MFC 31 airs live on HDNet at 10 p.m. ET.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 26 days ago
  • 61 views

U.G.L.Y., you ain't got no alibi, you ugly! For those counting, Chael Sonnen had four banned substances in his system when Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) tested him randomly ahead of his ill-fated grudge match against Wanderlei Silva at UFC 175: Anastrozole, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), human growth hormone (HGH) and recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO). After testing positive for the first two, Sonnen addressed the results in a seemingly "vulnerable" manner, conducting a rathe more

  • 26 days ago
  • 66 views

In the wake of news announcing another failed drug test for three-time title challenger Chael Sonnen, the UFC released a statement largely mirroring its previous responses to high-profile failures.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 26 days ago
  • 34 views

In the midst of two UFC events on Saturday, news broke that Chael Sonnen had reportedly failed a second random drug test in the span of five months. more

  • 26 days ago
  • 38 views

Saturday night, MMAFighting.com broke the news that recently retired UFC competitor Chael Sonnen had failed a second Nevada Athletic Commission drug test. After the UFC Fight Night 44 card in San Antonio, the UFC issued an official statement on the matter, saying it supports the commission's effort to clean up the sport. "We are made aware that a second random test resulted in a positive test result for Chael Sonnen," stated UFC public relations director Dave Sholler. "Chael will have an opportu more

  • 26 days ago
  • 36 views

Following the conclusion of the UFC San Antonio fight card, the UFC released a statement regarding Chael Sonnen’s second positive drug test in the span of five months. Even though he has officially retired from MMA competition, Chael Sonnen has now failed two consecutive drug tests in the span of five months. While neither Sonnen nor UFC President Dana White were present at the event, Dave Sholler offered a statement to the media present at the post-fight press conference, which quickly highligh more

  • 26 days ago
  • 52 views

MMAWeekly.com on Saturday confirmed Chael Sonnen tested positive for prohibited substances at a second random drug test, including two banned substances that differ from those found in his first failed test. more

  • 26 days ago
  • 40 views

Less than three weeks after failing a random drug test in Nevada that took him out of UFC 175, and ultimately led to his retirement from MMA, Chael Sonnen has reportedly failed a second test, as well. Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

  • 26 days ago
  • 39 views

Yeah, so ... yeah. Things are going from bad to worse for Chael Sonnen, and MMA Fighting has the breaking news: Sonnen, who recently announced his retirement from MMA, was asked to take a blood and urine test on June 5 in Portland, Ore., by the NAC because at the time he was scheduled to fight at UFC 175 on July 5 in Las Vegas. The commission learned earlier this week that Sonnen failed those tests due to the presence of human growth hormone (HGH), recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO), which i more

  • 26 days ago
  • 32 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has confirmed a second failed Chael Sonnen drug test. This test included failures for Human Growth Hormone and EPO. Chael Sonnen's UFC legacy may have been strong enough to survive his positive drug test in Nevada earlier this year, but tonight's news likely ends any talk that he was a "clean fighter." Sonnen had failed a February test in Nevada when the drugs Clomiphene and Anastrozole showed up in his sample. Those were, Sonnen claimed, used to help his bod more