josh-thomson-ufc-on-fox-10Josh Thomson appeared to want a fight with UFC vet Nick Diaz at this summer’s UFC on FOX 12 event, and he made the callout in a Diazian way. However, “The Punk” later said he his phone was stolen.

After putting plans for his own potential retirement on hold, the 155-pound Thomson appeared to issue the challenge to the veteran 170-pounder earlier today on Twitter. The tweet referenced his April 2013 head-kick knockout of Nick’s brother, Nate Diaz, in the callout:

However, Thomson later stated that he didn’t issue the original tweet and that his phone was stolen:

UFC on FOX 12 takes place July 26 at the SAP Center at San Jose (formerly HP Pavilion) in California. No fights are currently scheduled for the network-televised card, which should get a big promotional push from FOX.

A Thomson (20-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) vs. Diaz (26-9 MMA, 7-6 UFC) would’ve certainly been sellable, though it now appears unlikely. Thomson, who hasn’t fought since a controversial split-decision loss to ex-champ Benson Henderson in January, is a longtime member of San Jose’s American Kickboxing Academy and headlined a handful of major cards for Strikeforce, which was headquartered in the city before the UFC bought it out and ultimately disbanded it.

Diaz, though, is anything but a sure thing for a return to the octagon. UFC President Dana White said the organization recently was targeting a fight between Diaz and welterweight contender Hector Lombard, but the Stockton-based fighter never returned his calls, he said.

Getting a firm commitment from Diaz on anything MMA-related hasn’t exactly been easy for UFC officials. The former Strikeforce champion said a state of flux in his personal affairs previously kept him from focusing on a return to the cage. In March he said he was finally ready to return to the cage, though that interest appears it was short-lived.

Diaz hasn’t fought since a title loss to St-Pierre in March 2013. He subsequently announced his retirement but has flirted with the idea of a return.

As for Thomson, he nixed plans for his own retirement when he felt like the UFC lightweight title picture was moving on without him. Namely, he was annoyed that former opponent Gilbert Melendez was granted a title shot and an upcoming coaching gig on “The Ultimate Fighter 20? opposite champion Anthony Pettis.

“No one wants to end on the downhill like a Muhammed Ali, or you’re in that state where it’s time to just give it up,” Thomson said earlier this year. “I can’t say I’m trying to walk away while I’m still good, but just knowing guys like Gilbert, who I feel like I beat in my third fight, and guys like Benson, who beat Gil in a very close split decision – I feel like I won more than Gilbert lost to Benson. I should be right there. I am right there. I’m getting heated up right now just talking about it.”

For now, though, it appears Thomson vs. Diaz is unlikely.

For more on UFC on FOX 12, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(UPDATED on May 4, 2014, at 11:40 a.m. ET with Thomson’s tweets that state his phone was stolen and he didn’t post the original Diaz callout.)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Dana White promises UFC will stand behind Anderson Silva regardless of NSAC penalty

  • 29 days ago
  • 8 views

Unsurprisingly, no mention of Nick Diaz. I got your back, bro. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White is standing behind his former middleweight champion, Anderson Silva, even afte read news >>

Tim Means steps in for Kenny Robertson, meets George Sullivan at UFC on FOX 15

  • 27 days ago
  • 6 views

Next month’s UFC return to New Jersey has had a change on the prelims, and Tim Means will make a quick turnaround to get back to work. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Nick Catone retires from MMA after UFC on FOX 15 injury withdrawal

  • 26 days ago
  • 0 views

After only one fight since 2012, Nick Catone has announced his retirement from MMA competition.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Nick Catone Retires After Withdrawing from UFC on FOX 15 Due to Injury

  • 26 days ago
  • 0 views

Citing another injury and the desire to have a future with his family, UFC veteran Nick Catone has decided to call it a career. read news >>

Nick Diaz hires law firm to fight 'irregularities' in UFC 183 drug test results

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

Nick Diaz isn't going to accept his latest positive drug-test result without a fight. Stockton, Calif.'s favorite son tested positive for marijuana metabolites after his unanimous-decision loss to An read news >>

Nick Diaz Retains NY Law Firm to Dig into ‘Irregularities’ in His Failed UFC 183 Drug Test

  • 26 days ago
  • 10 views

Nick Diaz has retained a NY law firm to represent him before the Nevada State Athletic Commission next month for his failed UFC 183 drug test for marijuana. read news >>

Nick Diaz hires law firm to challenge believed 'irregularities' in his UFC 183 drug test

  • 26 days ago
  • 9 views

UFC veteran Nick Diaz has hired a legal team to challenge the results of his failed UFC 183 drug test. With a hearing in front of Nevada Athletic Commission officials looming, UFC veteran and former read news >>

Catone Out of Newark Bout, Retires from MMA

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

After withdrawing from his UFC on FOX bout on April 18 due to injury, UFC middleweight veteran Nick Catone has decided to retire from the sport due to lingering back issues. read news >>

Nick Diaz Gears Up to Fight Results of UFC 183 Drug Test

  • 26 days ago
  • 3 views

Nick Diaz has hired a law firm to investigate his recent failed drug test, with the apparent goal of minimizing (or staving off entirely) a lengthy suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commissio read news >>