Josh Burkman and Family WSOF3Even World Series of Fighting welterweight Josh Burkman didn’t think that he would defeat former UFC welterweight contender Jon Fitch in the first round of their WSOF 3 main event on Friday night in Las Vegas.

“I believe that I have a lot of potential and I’m gonna get a lot better, but that doesn’t mean I don’t surprise myself sometimes,” Burkman told MMAWeekly.com following the fight. “I didn’t expect to stop Jon Fitch in the first round.”

It’s not that he didn’t think he’d win, he’s definitely made favorable changes in his life and training since the two first met under the UFC banner seven years ago. Fitch won their first fight.

At that point, Burkman had only been fighting for about three years and had yet to learn how to conduct himself as a professional when it came to his approach as a fighter.

Now, with a wife and child to look after, Burkman has refocused his priorities and his approach to his career, and it’s paying off.

“I’m just so grateful they get to be a part of this,” he said about his family. “They’ve ground me and they’ve given me structure in my life. For my wife and my little boy to be able to walk in and give me a hug and a kiss and say good job, I mean, that’s just one of the greatest feelings you can have.”

Burkman, of course, will take time to celebrate with his family, especially with the weekend including his wife’s birthday and Father’s Day, but the talk already moves on to what’s next for him.

The only thing he knows is that a title shot is expected, but his opponent remains a question mark.

“The only thing I heard was that the winner of the fight between Jon Fitch and I would get the first title shot,” said Burkman. “I’ve heard that Steve Carl’s getting the fight, and he deserves that shot also, 2-0. But I also think that it would be cool to have a tournament and have (my challenger) win that tournament.”

It’s unclear how things will unfold, but World Series of Fighting Vice President Ali Abdel-Aziz told MMA’s Great Debate radio recently that the challenger will be fleshed out over the course of the promotion’s next couple events.

For now, however, Burkman doesn’t care. He’s a happy man, coming off of a big win, and enjoying life with his family.

Jon Fitch vs. Jake Shields Headlines WSOF 34 | MMAWeekly.com

WSOF officially announced on Tuesday the highly anticipated welterweight title fight between reigning champion Jon Fitch and No. 1 contender Jake Shields. read news >>

Major Upset on The Ultimate Fighter 24 | MMAWeekly.com

A major upset took place on the third episode of The Ultimate Fighter: Tournament of Champions with the No. 13 seed taking out the No. 4 seed by TKO. read news >>

Biggest Upset in TUF History Happened This Week | MMAWeekly.com

Arguably the biggest upset in the history of The Ultimate Fighter happened on the fifth episode of TUF 24: Tournament of Champions, which aired on Wednesday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95: What If Cris Cyborg Actually Lost?

No one is anticipating Cris Cyborg is about to suffer a major upset at the hands of Lina Lansberg this weekend at UFC Fight Night 95. Actually, most people who’ve been watching the Brazilian througho read news >>

Eric Spicely Scores Big Upset Over Thiago Santos: UFC Brasilia Highlights | MMAWeekly.com

Eric Spicely scored a big upset over Thiago Santos on the UFC Fight Night: Cyborg vs. Lansberg main card in Brasilia, Brazil on Staurday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 bonuses: Eric Spicely's huge upset of 8-1 favorite Thiago 'Marreta' Santos worth $50,000

BRASILIA, Brazil – Eric Spicely, Vicente Luque, Erick Silva and Luan Chagas each earned $50,000 fight-night bonuses at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cro Cop Lands Fight with Wanderlei Silva Following Rizin FF 2 Victory | MMAWeekly.com

Following a surprising submission victory at Sunday's RIZIN FF 2, Mirko Cro Cop landed a fight with Wanderlei Silva in December. read news >>

Eric Spicely was told he'd been cut before UFC Fight Night 95 upset of Thiago 'Marreta' Santos

The sale of the UFC to WME-IMG turned out to be a blessing for Eric Spicely. The middleweight said he was informed he had been cut at the same time as being offered a fight with Thiago “Marreta” Sant read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96's Zak Ottow: I'll find a way to exploit Josh Burkman's weakness

• a day ago

Newly minted UFC lightweight Zak Ottow had won a headlining fight this summer and figured that signing with a well-known MMA agency would help him sign a contract with the industry leader.Filed under read news >>