Josh BarnettThere seems to be a lot of uncertainty when it comes to Strikeforce’s future, and the fighters still under contract with the promotion.

The current plan is for Strikeforce to put on a “mega show” in January 2013 to help make up for the last two cards that had to be cancelled due to numerous injuries that ravaged the top fighters expected to compete.

One fighter who is among those stuck in limbo is heavyweight Josh Barnett, who has a single fight left under the Strikeforce banner until he’s free to pursue other interests. Strikeforce did away with the heavyweight division in 2012 with the exception of Barnett and Daniel Cormier who were the finalists in the first ever Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix.

Since their fight in May, both Cormier and Barnett have been awaiting another fight to finish out their time in Strikeforce and either move over to the UFC, or find a new promotion to compete in.

While nothing has been signed, Barnett believes that he will be a part of the huge show planned for January with Strikeforce, allowing him to fulfill the final fight on his deal.

“I do know that I’m looking forward to fighting sometime in January for Strikeforce, and giving all the fans that have been following me on Showtime and Strikeforce exactly what they expect,” Barnett told Inside MMA on Monday.

When pressed on the subject about whether or not he truly believed he would be a part of that card, Barnett was emphatic in his idea that he would be fighting in January.

While no announcements about the card have been made, rumors have circulated that multiple title fights and several other major fights are expected for the January Strikeforce show.

It appears Barnett believes he’s going to at least be one part of the plan.

“I really do expect that. I don’t have an opponent, I can just start with all my members of my team in the gym, and start thrashing them,” said Barnett.

The proposed Strikeforce card in January has had no confirmed bouts or participants yet, but several high profile fights are likely going to land on the show taking place in early 2013.

Check out the full interview with Barnett from Inside MMA below:

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Andrei Arlovski vs. Josh Barnett to Main Event UFC Hamburg

  • 26 days ago
  • 16 views

A heavyweight bout between Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett will take place at the UFC's return to Germany, the company announced early this morning. read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor II Announced for UFC 202: Latest Comments, Reaction

  • 21 days ago
  • 35 views

After plenty of posturing by all parties involved, the UFC confirmed Saturday night Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon for a rematch with Nate Diaz, per UFC commentator Jon Anik. The two will read news >>

Brock Lesnar Will Fight at UFC 200: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

  • 21 days ago
  • 38 views

Brock Lesnar last stepped into the Octagon in December 2011, but the former UFC heavyweight champion is ready to resume his MMA career. The UFC announced Lesnar has agreed to return for a fight at UF read news >>

MMA Writer Ariel Helwani Comments on Being Escorted Out of UFC 199

  • 20 days ago
  • 741 views

MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani spoke out Sunday after he tweeted during UFC 199 on Saturday night that the UFC had pulled his credential and banned him for life. In an email to Sports Illustrated's Ric read news >>

MMA Writer Ariel Helwani Comments on Being Escorted Out of UFC 199

  • 20 days ago
  • 16 views

MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani spoke out Sunday after he tweeted during UFC 199 on Saturday night that the UFC had pulled his credential and banned him for life. In an email to Sports Illustrated's Ric read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments and Reaction

  • 19 days ago
  • 809 views

Late last year, Brock Lesnar said he felt he got "robbed" by diverticulitis that cost him the prime of his UFC career. Now, as he prepares for a one-off return at UFC 200, Lesnar's ready to prove to read news >>

Dana White Comments on Lifetime Ban of Ariel Helwani for Brock Lesnar Report

  • 19 days ago
  • 1986 views

UFC President Dana White confirmed that longtime MMA journalist Ariel Helwani has been banned from receiving press credentials after breaking the news on two huge fights without contacting the promot read news >>

Mark Hunt Comments on Brock Lesnar's Drug Testing Exemption

  • 16 days ago
  • 641 views

It didn't take long for the war of words between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt to go from professionally combative to personal. Hunt, speaking to UFC Fight Week on Fox Sports, accused Lesnar of being on read news >>

Miesha Tate Comments on Ronda Rousey Ahead of UFC 200 Fight vs. Amanda Nunes

  • 5 days ago
  • 50 views

UFC Women’s Bantamweight champion Miesha Tate has branded Ronda Rousey “pouty” and has questioned whether her rival will ever return to her very best. Tate was speaking on Conan as preparations conti read news >>

Watch Bas Rutten and Josh Barnett Act Out McGregor-Mayweather, Rousey-Cyborg

  • 21 hours ago
  • 68 views

Bas Rutten and Josh Barnett, two guys who have shown talents in Octagon, are now exploring their acting talents. read news >>