WEC fighter Joseph Benavidez

Joseph Benavidez is looking to add to his career accolades. He’s already been a top title contender, a male model, and now he’s looking to add author to that list as well.

Before ever fighting Wagnney Fabiano in November, the Team Alpha Male fighter declared quite prophetically that he eats black belts for breakfast. He then promptly submitted Fabiano, who happens to be a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, in the second round of their match-up at WEC 52.

Following the fight, Benavidez mentioned that it was “joe-jitsu” that got him through the fight, and now he’s decided to coin the phrase officially as he works on his new book, “A Complex Living, Breathing Guide to Joe-Jitsu.”

The lifestyle guide as Benavidez describes it, will have belt levels and a path for all those who aspire to become experts in Joe-Jitsu. All jokes aside however, Benavidez isn’t sure why he’s matched up with so many black belts, but if that’s what the UFC has in store for him, he’s happy to notch a few more wins on his belt.

“My last four wins have been against black belts,” Benavidez told MMAWeekly Radio. “It’s cool cause even though I’ve been matched up with black belts my last four fights, my last four wins, looking back basically I’ve demolished anyone that’s not named Dominick Cruz, that doesn’t like run around from me. So I just beat them and they just happened to be black belts.”

Before his fight with Fabiano, like many WEC stars, Benavidez was hesitant to talk too much about a UFC future simply because without a win he may not have had a UFC future. Now he knows for sure he’s making the transition and he’s already in the ear of matchmaker Sean Shelby to get him a fight.

“Now my next fight’s in the UFC, I’m excited for it. I don’t have anything to say as far as opponents. There’s a lot of tough dudes out there and I’ve been trying to get in Sean Shelby’s ear and my manager’s to try and find something out, but I’m kind of in a different position right now where I just fought for the title, and I feel I’ll beat anyone else there is, so I’m just waiting,” said Benavidez.

As far as where and when he wants to fight, Benavidez, who has fought in Japan before, hopes to travel abroad for the UFC. Some fighters shy away from traveling long distances for fights, but Benavidez is hopeful to end up on one of the UFC cards with some international flavor to it.

“I’m going to ask to travel and fight on one of these international shows, just to get the experience,” Benavidez stated. “I’m hoping for March. March is a good month for me, it’s a lucky month for me. That’s when I fought Miguel Torres last year, and I believe there’s also three shows in March so I’m really hoping to get on one of those.”

There has been no word on potential opponents for Benavidez, but as a Top 10 ranked bantamweight, there is no shortage of possibilities for him. Also keep an eye out for Benavidez’s book of Joe-Jitsu coming very soon to retailers everywhere.

After going to judges for entire UFC career, Michel Prazeres has knockout planned in Brazil

Like many fighters who get asked about a penchant to go to the judges’ scorecards, Michel Prazeres believes there’s good reason he hasn’t been able to finish the four fighters he has wins over in the read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95: Renan Barao vs. Phillipe Nover video highlights

After the first two-fight losing skid of his career, Renan Barao is back in the win column. The former bantamweight champ picked up a much-needed win over Phillipe Nover.Filed under: News, UFC, Video read news >>

After third finish in a row, UFC Fight Night 95's Vicente Luque looking forward to ranked competition

BRASILIA, Brazil – On Saturday's UFC Fight Night 95, Vicente Luque added a third finish to his octagon record. And, while he's not about to call out any names in particular, the welterweight believes read news >>

Jose Aldo Requests Release from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

Upset about not being given a rematch against Conor McGregor at UFC 205, Jose Aldo has requested a release from his contract. Aldo made his comments to the Brazilian website Combate (translation via  read news >>

Jose Aldo requests release from UFC 'after being fooled so many times'

Fed up, Jose Aldo has requested his release from the UFCFight fans may never get a change to see longtime featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo step foot inside a UFC Octagon ever again.On Tuesday, in an i read news >>

Jose Aldo Asks for UFC Release, Threatens to Retire | MMAWeekly.com

After what he sees as the latest broken promise, Jose Aldo says he is done with the UFC. He wants to be released. read news >>

'I wish to fight 'Cyborg' again before my career is over,' says a no-excuses Lina Lansberg

Less than three days after falling victim to yet another one of Cristiane Justino's thunderous performances, Lina Lansberg made no excuses for herself in an Instagram post, saying she wants to "rack read news >>

Jose Aldo doubles down on request for UFC release, Max Holloway responds

Jose Aldo is doubling down on his desire for his release from the UFC, much to the chagrin of featherweight top contender Max HollowayJose Aldo did more than enough to earn his rematch against Conor read news >>

Watch Conor McGregor Burn Jeremy Stephens: 'Who the F*** is That Guy?' | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens has had a long career in the UFC with some memorable fights. Memorable to you and us, that is, but apparently not to Conor McGregor. read news >>

Rashad Evans Breaks Down UFC Portland Headliner, John Dodson vs. John Lineker

Rashad Evans has accomplished a great deal in his UFC career, picking up the light heavyweight strap in the course of 20 fights with the promotion. The soon-to-be middleweight contender takes on Tim read news >>