After winning a unanimous decision over Ian McCall on Feb. 2 at UFC 156, Joseph Benavidez is right back in the title mix at 125 pounds.

In a recent interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, he discussed his victory over McCall, flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson and more.

On the decision against McCall: “I thought it was very clear that I won the first and the third. Honestly, I think I won every minute of that fight besides the little mishap on the ground. Even that second round, I was winning until that happened, which that is another story.”

On how he got rocked in the second round: “I was rocked and I was recovering from something and I figured he hit me. When I told my cornermen, they were like, ‘Dude, you didn’t get hit or dropped by anything.’ Watching the replay, I shot directly in past him and right into his knee. I guess it just rocked my head. I was rocked down there and I thought I got punched.”

On where he stands in the division: “I think I’m right there. I think I’m the next best in the weight class. Demetrious is obviously the champion because he’s beat the next three best guys. A lot of champions, even now, even the reigning champions, they haven’t fought those next three guys. They might have wiped out the rest of the guys down there, but most of the champions haven’t fought the number two-, three- and four-ranked guys right now at this moment and defeated them. Demetrious has.”

On Johnson’s title defense against John Dodson: “I loved it. It was a champion’s performance. He was a champion. He faced adversity in the second round, and where he won the fight was the championship rounds. Everyone’s going to be skilled and powerful and be good at this and that, but he showed those other attributes he has: his heart and his cardio and those small things that separate champions from other fighters. … I was happy for him. I was happy for the weight class. It was a great showcase because also, the challenger, Dodson, fought amazing. I think he’s as dangerous as anybody for three rounds.”

On what’s next: “I’m willing to fight whoever the UFC wants me to. I’m ready for any fight. If the UFC wants to give me a title shot, of course I’m going to do everything in my power to go out there and take it and I’ll be ready. I really, really believe I can defeat ‘Mighty Mouse’ this time and fight a lot better fight. If they want me to fight someone else, I’ll just be even better by the time I do get the title shot. I think that’s inevitable at some point.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:54:20).

From Around the Web

UFC Fight Night 62 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 62 event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social medi read news >>

John Moraga: Joseph Benavidez's striking technique is 'not very good'

DALLAS -- During a scrum at UFC 185, John Moraga talks about his upcoming match-up with Joseph Benavidez, feeling disrespected, where he stands in the title picture, and more. read news >>

UFC Rio results: Demian Maia outclasses Ryan LaFlare to comfortable unanimous decision win

Check out how the main event between Demian Maia and Ryan LaFlare went down at UFC Fight Night in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Ryan LaFlare said he wouldn't be scared to grapple with Demian Maia ahead of read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62's Kevin Souza had to learn to love MMA

Kevin Souza’s nine-fight winning streak may seem somewhat unlikely considering Souza was not a fan of mixed martial arts when he was boxing and brought in as a coach on Thiago Tavares’ MMA team.Filed read news >>

Dominick Cruz believes 2015 return to UFC action is 'realistic'

Dominick Cruz needs four months of rehab before he knows if he’ll be able to return to the octagon in 2015.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

With UFC Fight Night 62 win, Godofredo Pepey believes time will be now for requests

RIO DE JANEIRO – Godofredo Pepey hopes a UFC Fight Night 62 victory will lead to two things: a ranked opponent and a fight outside his native Brazil.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Dominick Cruz believes 2015 return is 'realistic'

"Is it realistic [to fight before 2015 ends]? I believe it is. Am I going to say that I'm going to do it? I'm only two months into rehab and I need wait a little bit longer before I make a statement read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 staff picks: Three unanimous choices, plus three heavy faves

For the second straight event, the MMAjunkie staff members are largely on the same page when it comes to a UFC main card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Luciano dos Santos believes opportunities all that are keeping him from next level

Luciano dos Santos believes if just given enough chances, he’ll be able to reach his ultimate goal – a shot at fighting in the UFC.Filed under: News read news >>