After winning a unanimous decision over Ian McCall on Feb. 2 at UFC 156, Joseph Benavidez is right back in the title mix at 125 pounds.

In a recent interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, he discussed his victory over McCall, flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson and more.

On the decision against McCall: “I thought it was very clear that I won the first and the third. Honestly, I think I won every minute of that fight besides the little mishap on the ground. Even that second round, I was winning until that happened, which that is another story.”

On how he got rocked in the second round: “I was rocked and I was recovering from something and I figured he hit me. When I told my cornermen, they were like, ‘Dude, you didn’t get hit or dropped by anything.’ Watching the replay, I shot directly in past him and right into his knee. I guess it just rocked my head. I was rocked down there and I thought I got punched.”

On where he stands in the division: “I think I’m right there. I think I’m the next best in the weight class. Demetrious is obviously the champion because he’s beat the next three best guys. A lot of champions, even now, even the reigning champions, they haven’t fought those next three guys. They might have wiped out the rest of the guys down there, but most of the champions haven’t fought the number two-, three- and four-ranked guys right now at this moment and defeated them. Demetrious has.”

On Johnson’s title defense against John Dodson: “I loved it. It was a champion’s performance. He was a champion. He faced adversity in the second round, and where he won the fight was the championship rounds. Everyone’s going to be skilled and powerful and be good at this and that, but he showed those other attributes he has: his heart and his cardio and those small things that separate champions from other fighters. … I was happy for him. I was happy for the weight class. It was a great showcase because also, the challenger, Dodson, fought amazing. I think he’s as dangerous as anybody for three rounds.”

On what’s next: “I’m willing to fight whoever the UFC wants me to. I’m ready for any fight. If the UFC wants to give me a title shot, of course I’m going to do everything in my power to go out there and take it and I’ll be ready. I really, really believe I can defeat ‘Mighty Mouse’ this time and fight a lot better fight. If they want me to fight someone else, I’ll just be even better by the time I do get the title shot. I think that’s inevitable at some point.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:54:20).

After the Octagon: After finding self, Frankie Perez helping others in retirement

Frankie Perez shocked the world when he retired immediately after winning his first UFC bout. But since then he hasn't gone far from the sport - all the while helping to make the difference in the li read news >>

By The Numbers - Fastest Finishes in Title Fights

Aat UFC 197, Demetrious Johnson defended his title for the eighth time, scoring a KO of Henry Cejudo at 2:49 of the first round. While that was incredibly quick, the Octagon has seen title fights end read news >>

While Roger Gracie Loves BJJ, His Heart is Set on Winning ONE Light Heavyweight Title

Following a nearly two year layoff, light-heavyweight Roger Gracie of the famed Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu clan is ready to return to MMA in a battle for the belt. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Weighs in on Kevin Costner’s Desire for Olympic MMA

On this episode of Beyond the Fight, Chael Sonnen weighs in on award winning actor Kevin Costner's desire to see mixed martial arts in the Olympics. read news >>

Mei Yamaguchi Says Winning a ONE Championship Title Would be Her Crowning Achievement

Mei Yamaguchi has been on the MMA scene for nearly a decade, but Friday’s ONE Championship title fight will be the biggest of her career. read news >>

Latoya Walker Heads into Invicta FC 17 Aiming to Prove She’s Earned a Title Shot

Undefeated featherweight Latoya Walker believes she's already earned a title shot, but she aims to prove it at Invicta FC 17 on Saturday night. read news >>

TUF 24 to Feature 16 Champions Vying for a Shot at Demetrious Johnson

The Ultimate Fighter 24 will feature 16 flyweight champions from other promotions around the world. read news >>

Alan Stewart is on a Mission… to Keep the Fight Away from the Judges

Besides winning, Alan Stewart has another goal at Saturday night's Valor Fights 33, to keep the fight out of the hands of the judges. read news >>

Phil Davis vs. King Mo: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 154

Phil Davis won a controversial unanimous decision over Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in the main event at Bellator 154 in San Jose, California, on Saturday. The fight was close, and either man could have read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has agreed to a new eight-fight contract with UFC, ensuring he'll continue his dominant title run with the company. As shared by Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com read news >>