Coming off his loss to Demetrious Johnson in the first UFC flyweight title bout, Joseph Benavidez will be looking to make a statement Saturday against Ian McCall at UFC 156.

“He might not be super consistent from fight to fight, but he always puts on a show and he’s dangerous,” Benavidez said of McCall during an interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show. “He is powerful strength-wise, but I don’t look at him necessarily as a dangerous, finishing type. He’s just really powerful, strong, explosive. He’s a great athlete with a great style, and I think it’s going to be an awesome fight. I’m looking to go in there and make my statement. This is like a small battle for me. Him and Demetrious had a super close fight, so I’m looking to beat him way worse.”

Johnson fought McCall to a majority draw and then beat him via unanimous decision in the rematch. “Mighty Mouse” then went on to claim a split decision over Benavidez in September to become the 125-pound champion.

“It was definitely hard,” Benavidez said of his defeat. “Just mentally, that was just my goal for so long and I had no doubts that I was going to take it. Just the realization afterwards that that opportunity passed me by and it didn’t happen was really hard to take for a long time.”

Eventually, though, Benavidez was able to put the loss in perspective and also learn from it.

“There’s things you’re going to learn technically and kind of where he beat me with strategy and just his takedowns and everything,” he said. “He’s a great fighter. I fought the best guy in the world at my weight class. I don’t think I had a great performance, and he fought a perfect fight. I need to not be so hard on myself and realize it was a close fight and I’m just lucky that I get to do this. It’s always times like this where I find myself maybe complaining or being down on myself about this, but then I realize how lucky I am that this is my life and I’m one of two people ever that got to fight for this inaugural flyweight title.”

Now Benavidez has the chance to bounce back against another high-caliber flyweight, and he likes the matchup.

“I like McCall,” Benavidez said. “I’m a fan of his style. He’s crazy and I respect that. He puts it all on the line and puts it all out there. … He’s a guy that’s actually going to fight me. He has confidence in his skills, in his power and he doesn’t run. He goes in there and looks for a fight and doesn’t mind getting punched in the face. He doesn’t mind it, so I’m just going to go ahead and just give him the punishment that he likes.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 29:19).

UFC 197 Free Fight: Demetrious Johnson Knocks Out Joseph Benavidez

Demetrious Johnson defended his flyweight belt for the third time when he knocked out Joseph Benavidez in 2013. read news >>

Why Jon Jones and Demetrious Johnson Are the UFC's Pound-for-Pound Kings

UFC 197, which takes place Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, features the UFC's two best pound-for-pound fighters. Jon Jones and Demetrious Johnson have combined for a ridiculous 15 title read news >>

By The Numbers - UFC 197

Go inside the numbers of UFC 197, featuring Jon Jones, Ovince Saint Preux, Demetrious Johnson and Henry Cejudo. read news >>

UFC 197 Jones vs Saint Preux weigh-in results

Results from the weigh-ins at UFC 197, headlined by Jon Jones vs Ovince Saint Preux and Demetrious Johnson vs Henry Cejudo, airs live on Pay-Per-View from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on S read news >>

Twitter reacts to Demetrious Johnson's title defense against Henry Cejudo at UFC 197

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson once again displayed his dominance when he defeated Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo in UFC 197’s co-main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 197 results: Demetrious Johnson shuts down gold medalist Henry Cejudo in first

LAS VEGAS – This time Demetrious Johnson didn’t need five full rounds to defend his UFC flyweight title. This time he didn’t even need three full minutes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 197 Results: Demetrious Johnson Demolishes Henry Cejudo with Knees to Retain

The UFC flyweight champion of the world, No. 1-ranked Demetrious Johnson (24-2-1), continued to lay claim to being the pound-for-pound best fighter on planet Earth with a stunning TKO performance aga read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Henry Cejudo Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 197

Another Demetrious Johnson fight, another promising contender in the flyweight division turned away. Mighty Mouse used the co-main event at UFC 197 on Saturday to defend his UFC flyweight title again read news >>

UFC 197 Results: Demetrious Johnson Finishes Henry Cejudo, Stakes Claim to P4P No. 1

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson faced the biggest threat to his crown in the UFC 197 co-main event on Saturday when he took on Olympic Gold Medalist Henry Cejudo. read news >>

Henry Cejudo no match for 'brilliant' Demetrious Johnson at UFC 197 (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: "Mighty Mouse" needed less than three minutes to defeat the 2008 Olympic gold medalist and retain his flyweight championship. read news >>