Coming off his loss to Demetrious Johnson in the first UFC flyweight title bout, Joseph Benavidez will be looking to make a statement Saturday against Ian McCall at UFC 156.

“He might not be super consistent from fight to fight, but he always puts on a show and he’s dangerous,” Benavidez said of McCall during an interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show. “He is powerful strength-wise, but I don’t look at him necessarily as a dangerous, finishing type. He’s just really powerful, strong, explosive. He’s a great athlete with a great style, and I think it’s going to be an awesome fight. I’m looking to go in there and make my statement. This is like a small battle for me. Him and Demetrious had a super close fight, so I’m looking to beat him way worse.”

Johnson fought McCall to a majority draw and then beat him via unanimous decision in the rematch. “Mighty Mouse” then went on to claim a split decision over Benavidez in September to become the 125-pound champion.

“It was definitely hard,” Benavidez said of his defeat. “Just mentally, that was just my goal for so long and I had no doubts that I was going to take it. Just the realization afterwards that that opportunity passed me by and it didn’t happen was really hard to take for a long time.”

Eventually, though, Benavidez was able to put the loss in perspective and also learn from it.

“There’s things you’re going to learn technically and kind of where he beat me with strategy and just his takedowns and everything,” he said. “He’s a great fighter. I fought the best guy in the world at my weight class. I don’t think I had a great performance, and he fought a perfect fight. I need to not be so hard on myself and realize it was a close fight and I’m just lucky that I get to do this. It’s always times like this where I find myself maybe complaining or being down on myself about this, but then I realize how lucky I am that this is my life and I’m one of two people ever that got to fight for this inaugural flyweight title.”

Now Benavidez has the chance to bounce back against another high-caliber flyweight, and he likes the matchup.

“I like McCall,” Benavidez said. “I’m a fan of his style. He’s crazy and I respect that. He puts it all on the line and puts it all out there. … He’s a guy that’s actually going to fight me. He has confidence in his skills, in his power and he doesn’t run. He goes in there and looks for a fight and doesn’t mind getting punched in the face. He doesn’t mind it, so I’m just going to go ahead and just give him the punishment that he likes.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 29:19).

There’s No Denying the Vanilla Gorilla

If he wins at Saturday's Titan FC 38, Chase Sherman hopes that his fourth win in a row will be enough to put him in the UFC. read news >>

By The Numbers - Fastest Finishes in Title Fights

Aat UFC 197, Demetrious Johnson defended his title for the eighth time, scoring a KO of Henry Cejudo at 2:49 of the first round. While that was incredibly quick, the Octagon has seen title fights end read news >>

After 4th Straight Win, It's Now or Never for Alistair Overeem's UFC Title Hopes

In a division where advanced age seems to be a strength, there is no end in sight to Alistair Overeem’s UFC title hopes. For most heavyweights, there will always be more chances until everything comp read news >>

TUF 24 to Feature 16 Champions Vying for a Shot at Demetrious Johnson

The Ultimate Fighter 24 will feature 16 flyweight champions from other promotions around the world. read news >>

Dana White Hopes Ronda Rousey Returns This Year, but Sounds Uncertain

UFC president Dana White hopes former women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey returns to the cage this year, but the possibility is up in the air. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has agreed to a new eight-fight contract with UFC, ensuring he'll continue his dominant title run with the company. As shared by Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com read news >>

Flyweight Champ Demetrious Johnson Inks New 8-Fight UFC Deal

Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has signed a new, eight-fight deal with the UFC. The 29-year-old broke the news on Monday during an appearance on The MMA Hour. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson, UFC Agree on New Contract: Details, Comments, Reaction

Dana White Says Conor McGregor’s Next Fight Should Be Finalized Wednesday Night

UFC president Dana White hopes to silence the Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather rumors. That could happen as soon as Wednesday night. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson to Make Surprise Title Defense at UFC 201 in Atlanta

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has his next title defense set for UFC 201 in Atlanta. read news >>