Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis UFC Superfight Doesn’t Have to Happen at Lightweight


Jose-Aldo-and-Anthony-Pettis-478x270Talk of a UFC superfight between featherweight champion Jose Aldo and lightweight titleholder Anthony Pettis has hit a fever pitch recently.

The two had intended to do the fight once before, with Pettis dropping down to challenge Aldo at 145 pounds.

Recent talk about once again trying to put the two together in the Octagon has centered on Aldo’s desire to move up in weight and fight at 155 pounds. Should that happen, UFC president Dana White has gone on record with a plan that would include Aldo vacating his belt at 145 pounds.

“He’ll vacate the title, move up to 155, and fight for the title,” White said of Aldo. “If he doesn’t win the title at 155, he can go back and challenge for the 145-pound title if he wanted to do that, or if he wins the 155-pound title and two other guys would fight for the 145-pound title.”

That is the likely scenario for the fight, but Pettis recently went on Inside MMA and when asked about the weight class for the fight said that, while he preferred the bout at 155 pounds, he’s open to fight at 145, 155 or anywhere in between.

“[The weight class] up to the UFC. Whatever they decide, catchweight, 155, 145; I’m always game,” said Pettis, believing that it doesn’t really matter what weight class they fight in because he will win.

“I have nothing personal against Jose Aldo. I think he’s a great champion. He has a great skillset. I just think I’m better than him.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 29 days ago
  • 55 views

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis discussed his time on the sidelines recovering from a PCL injury, as well as his upcoming title fight against Gilbert Melendez. Anthony Pettis may not feel the read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 26 views

SAN JOSE, Calif. - UFC president Dana White didn't stick around for one of his traditional post-fight scrums on Saturday night UFC on FOX 12, leaving during the middle of the press conference at the read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 22 views

SAN JOSE – Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 12 card, UFC President Dana White announced a canceled rematch between featherweight champ Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes will headline UFC 179 on Oct. 25 in Rio read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 17 views

Proving Mendes is not a "pussy." Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo appears to be on the road to recovery and will indeed fight Chad Mendes for a second time when th read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 44 views

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo will return from injury and defend his title against Chad Mendes at UFC 179 in Rio de Janeiro, UFC President Dana White announced on Saturday. read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 127 views

UFC featherweight Conor McGregor gives his take on the UFC 179 rematch between 145-pound champion Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes, but believes he'd beat either of them. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 39 views

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Jose Aldo is not medically cleared to train yet, and the possibility of creating an interim title won’t make him rush back to the Octagon. UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta admitted ear read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 7 views

And if UFC officials choose to stage an interim title fight, the Aldo camp won't mind; as long as they do the same for the lightweight and heavyweight divisions, too. Ultimate Fighting Championship ( read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 13 views

The Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes rematch will be re-booked for later this year in Brazil. Earlier this week, it was announced that the UFC will still head over to Brazil 4 more times before the year end read news >>