Michael Bisping and Jorge Rivera heat up at the UFC 127 weigh-in

Michael Bisping and Jorge Rivera heat up at the UFC 127 weigh-in

Michael Bisping didn’t do much to gain a larger fan base with his UFC 127 win over Jorge Rivera. The British fighter struck his opponent with an illegal knee to the head in the first round of their co-main event, but claims that it was in no way intentional.

Ultimately, the strike cost Bisping a point, but it didn’t matter. Rivera did not appear to be the same fighter after the knee to the head. He continued fighting anyway. Whether or not the strike was intentional makes no difference now, but that didn’t stop Rivera’s management company from releasing a statement regarding the situation.

“The knee was illegal and flush on the face,” read the statement from Alchemist Management. “But instead of taking a dive and possibly the win, Jorge fought on – unlike Jamie Varner and Rich Attonito. Bisping tagged Jorge while both of his knees were on the canvas. He wasn’t the same afterward, but fought on anyway. How many fighters would be able to fight on after that?”

Rivera’s management also claimed Bisping spat at his opponent’s corner. This came after what they consider to be a premature ending to the fight.

“The stoppage was quick, but we won’t fight it,” they stated. “He won. That’s all there is to it. But for all his talk of being a professional, Bisping spit on Rivera’s coaches when the fight was over. How can you claim to be a professional after that?”

At the post-fight press conference, Bisping was asked about the incident where he allegedly spat in the direction of Rivera’s cornermen. He was quick to dismiss it.

“Just one classless move after another, I suppose,” said Bisping. “The knee certainly wasn’t on purpose. You get excited in the heat of the fight. He was getting up off the ground, I had him in a Thai clinch, I was waiting to time it.

“I got a little overexcited and I pulled the trigger too early. It happens quite a lot. It’s a fast moving sport. I certainly didn’t mean to do it and I was very glad the fight was able to continue. No one wants to see a fight won or lost in that fashion.

“Regarding after the fight, there was a lot of emotions. He was very, very insulting to me, very insulting. He was mocking me on the Internet, saying all kinds of things, making stupid videos, talking about myself and my family. All kinds of stuff. I bit my tongue and I said nothing, but it’s kind of… built up inside me. I blew up a little bit and I apologize for that. I shouldn’t behave like that, but I think he just needs to accept he got beat and get over it.”

Clearly, the bad blood between these two fighters did not find a resolution in their match-up. Sometimes, fighting it out in the Octagon is just not enough. The Bisping-Rivera showdown is perfect evidence of that.

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2 Press Conference Video Replay

The headliners of UFC 204, Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson, fielded questions from the media on Friday in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 201 Q&A Featuring Champions Eddie Alvarez and Amanda Nunes Video Replay

Newly crowned UFC champions Eddie Alvarez and Amanda Nunes fielded questions from fans prior to the UFC 201: Lawler vs. Woodley weigh-in. read news >>

UFC 201: Lawler vs. Woodley Post-Fight Press Conference Video Replay

Watch the UFC 201: Lawler vs. Woodley post-fight press conference video replay, where several fighters fielded questions and the fighter bonuses were revealed. read news >>

UFC 201 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC Fight Night 92

UFC 201 is in the books. The results are as follows (via Bleacher Report's Nathan McCarter): Tyron Woodley defeats Robbie Lawler by KO at 2:12 of the first round Karolina Kowalkiewicz defeats Rose Na read news >>

Michael Bisping Announces Fight with Dan Henderson in Manchester

Though the UFC has yet to make it official, Michael Bisping took it upon himself to announce his title defense against Dan Henderson. read news >>

Michael Bisping Expects Dan Henderson to 'Cheat' in Reported Rematch at UFC 204

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is expecting Dan Henderson to “cheat” in their rumoured rematch. According to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Bisping will face the veteran on October 8 in a r read news >>

UFC Fight Night 92 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into Diaz vs. McGregor 2

UFC Fight Night 92 is in the books. The results are as follows (via Bleacher Report's very own Craig Amos): UFC Fight Night 92 Main Card on Fox Sports 1 Yair Rodríguez def. Alex Caceres, split-decisi read news >>

Nick Diaz Claims Someone Drugged Him Before Fighting Georges St-Pierre

Nick Diaz said he was drugged, and his coach said it was George St-Pierre's nurse or something. read news >>

UFC's Era of Money (and Moneyweight) Fights Has Begun, and There's No Going Back

Shortly after Michael Bisping realized his career-long goal of capturing the UFC middleweight championship, the question of who he might fight next followed. It is a simple and obvious one, almost ma read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson II Announced: Latest Details and Reaction

Michael Bisping will put his UFC middleweight title on the line in his home town of Manchester against veteran Dan Henderson on October 8. The fight will headline UFC 204 and was confirmed by the UFC read news >>