Jorge Lopez Wand Fight TeamJorge Lopez on Tuesday heads into the most important fight of his career, squaring off with Ultimate Fighter winner Amir Sadollah at UFC on Fuel TV 3 in Virginia.

Coming off of a loss in his first trip to the Octagon, he needs a win, and he needs it bad. Sadollah is no easy task for a fighter trying to get a W on the board, but Lopez doesn’t shy away from a difficult task before him… and he thanks his parents for that.

“I don’t know if it’s the way that my mom and my dad raised me, they would always teach me not to be scared of anything,” Lopez said in a recent Wand Fight Team video.

His parents are a big reason why Lopez went on to join Wanderlei Silva’s fight team in Las Vegas in an attempt to live out his dreams. When there were difficult tasks before him as a child, when things didn’t seem to be going his way, his parents supported him, but they were no crutch.

“I remember my dad. They had me on a bike for the first time with the training wheels off,” he remembered. “He didn’t let me ride the bike with training wheels. He took them off right away and said, let’s go.”

In a day and age when it seems training wheels are put on our every aspect of life, Lopez praises his parents for not giving him the easy way out. They made him face his fears and conquer them, not run from them, even when the road was rocky.

“I remember playing football. It was like the second or third day of practice. We were on our way to practice and (my mom), I remember I kept telling her, ‘I don’t wanna go, I don’t wanna go. I don’t wanna be in football anymore. It hurts,’ he recounted.

“She looked at me in the eye and she told me, ‘You need to quit being a little girl. You’re gonna get your stuff and you’re gonna go out there an play.’ She gave me my pads. She gave me my helmet. She wiped the tears off my face. She slapped me on the back and said go train.”

Lopez sucked it up and continued playing football. In fact, he played football so well that he earned a college scholarship.

So yeah, when he goes to practice, trading blows with his legendary coach, it hurts. It hurts a lot. But it’s those times with his mom and dad, pushing him to fight through the pain and the fear, that carry him onward and upward.

It has been said that risk is what makes life worth living, and Lopez has been taught all his life to take risks in order to accomplish the dreams that he has in life.

And that’s something he’ll need to tap into to get on the scoreboard when he faces Sadollah.

“I think of those times and I think of the times that she told me to man-up and go finish what I started. I did it then, so why can’t I do it now?”

Follow @KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken Pishna.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

John Lineker: 'This is My Time Now' (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight contender John Lineker says it's his time heading into his UFC 207 bout against former champion TJ Dillashaw. read news >>

Dana White: 'Ronda Rousey is Psychotically Competitive' (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White says Ronda Rousey is like the old Ronda again heading into UFC 207. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Mom Comments on Star's Potential Retirement After UFC 207 Loss

Following Ronda Rousey's stunning 48-second loss to Amanda Nunes in Las Vegas at UFC 207 on Friday night, Rousey's mother, AnnMaria De Mars, expressed hope her daughter would consider retirement. As read news >>

UFC 207 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into 2017

UFC 207 is in the books. The results are as follows: Amanda Nunes def. Ronda Rousey by KO at 0:48 of the first round Cody Garbrandt def. Dominick Cruz by unanimous decision (48-46, 48-47, 48-46) T.J. read news >>

Watch UFC Fight Night 103 co-headliner Joe Lauzon decimate Diego Sanchez at UFC 200

Joe Lauzon was in a bonus funk heading into UFC 200. There’s no other way to put it. Watch how he came out of it inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 23

UFC Fight Night 103 is in the books. The results are as follows, via Bleacher Report's Craig Amos: Main Card on Fox Sports 1 Yair Rodriguez def. BJ Penn, TKO (Round 2, 0:24) Joe Lauzon def. Marcin He read news >>

Motivated John Moraga not bothered by pressure heading into UFC Fight Night 103

PHOENIX – It’s been an up-and-down road for former UFC flyweight title challenger John Moraga since he lost his shot at the belt three and a half years ago.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Joe Rogan doesn't expect Ronda Rousey back in UFC, but if so, must be in 'calculated manner'

Count Joe Rogan among those who don’t believe Ronda Rousey will fight again following her brutal 48-second knockout title loss to champ Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 this past month.Filed under: Featured, read news >>

Chris Lytle: 'Conor McGregor Fighting Floyd Mayweather is Smart Fight' | MMAWeekly.com

The talk about UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor and boxing legend Floyd Mayweather Jr. fighting seemed farfetched until Friday. read news >>

Watch The UFC Fight Night Phoenix Weigh-in Live at 7 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night Phoenix official weigh-in streaming live at 7 p.m. ET from the Talking Stick Resort in Phoenix, Arizona. read news >>