Jordan Smith knows that many have picked Andrey Koreshkov to walk through the Bellator Fighting Championships' Season 7 welterweight tournament. He just doesn't agree with the assessment.

A 21-fight veteran, Smith believes he can use his experience advantage to defy the bookmakers on Friday night and send Koreshkov packing in their quarterfinal matchup at Bellator 74, which emanates from Caesars Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., and airs on MTV2.

“I've always felt like I've performed better as an underdog, so when I see people talking on websites about how I'm supposed to lose to Andrey Koreshkov, that's fine with me,” Smith recently told Sherdog.com. “If people have only seen my last fight, I could understand that, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make much sense. I have more experience. I've fought and beat better guys than he has. I'm morewell rounded, and I'm smarter than he is.”

Smith's most recent outing came on March 30 against David Rickels, who promptly spoiled the 27-year-old's Bellator debut by knocking him cold in the Season 6 quarterfinals. Though Rickels turned out Smith's lights in just 22 seconds, Smith believes the setback has taught him a valuable lesson about risk versus reward in the cage.

“If you catch me with something, it makes me angry and it makes me want to hurt you. That's just how I was wired,” said Smith. “I just need to be smart about it. I'm not going to sit here and say I'm not going to be in wars anymore. Most of the time when me and my opponent start exchanging punches, that's when I win.

“At the same time, it's kind of like rolling the dice, because whoever catches the other guy first is all that matters,” he continued. “In my last fight against David Rickels, my hook just missed his chin right before his hit me right on the button. It's a coin toss when you're exchanging with guys at this level. That's not how I need to fight. I'm better than that. I need to fight smarter, and that's the plan in this tournament.”

Known for his versatile standup attack, Koreshkov has thus far notched seven knockout victories among his 10 career finishes. An apprentice to Bellator middleweight title contender Alexander Shlemenko, the unbeaten 23-year-old has proved dangerous with a number of unconventional attacks, an aspect of the bout for which Smith says he is well prepared.

Despite his new outlook on going toe-to-toe, Smith still plans to pressure Koreshkov as a means of disrupting the Russian's offense and putting him on his heels.

“It's not that I'm going to be overly cautious in this fight, I just can't fight stupid angry. I think I'm way better than him at the wrestling and jiu-jitsu aspects of the sport, and that's something I'll be looking to exploit on fight night,” said Smith. “He doesn't like to be pressured, and he likes to keep his distance. Guys who have fought him before got intimidated by his unorthodox kicks and all the fancy s--t he likes to do, but I plan on getting in his face, making him as uncomfortable as possible and hurting him.”

Bellator 153 weigh-in results: Champ Andrey Koreshkov, Benson Henderson official for title fight

The weigh-ins for Bellator 153 are in the books, and arguably the biggest name to cross over to the promotion from the UFC is set for his title shot.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153 results: Andrey Koreshkov dominates Benson Henderson to retain title

All the talk leading up to Bellator 153 revolved around Benson Henderson’s jump from the UFC to Bellator. Andrey Koreshkov put a five round beating on Henderson to retain his welterweight title and r read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Routes Benson Henderson to Keep the Belt

Benson Henderson received a rude welcome from welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 153 on Friday night in Uncasville, Conn. read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Koreshkov vs. Henderson Card

Bellator welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov was too big and strong for Benson Henderson on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. The 25-year-old Russian dominated the form read news >>

Next for Andrey Koreshkov? Bellator champ discusses Askren, 'Venom,' Lima and 'Cyborg'

UNCASVILLE, Conn. – With a victory over former UFC and WEC titleholder Benson Henderson in Friday’s Bellator 153 headliner, welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov solidified his spot as one of the wo read news >>

After shutout of Henderson, Coker thinks Bellator's Andrey Koreshkov is in 170's top 3

After his dominant title defense over former UFC champ Benson Henderson this past Friday, Andrey Koreshkov’s stock took a major upswing.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Benson Henderson's Bellator Debut Lands with a Thud, but There Is a Bright Side

In every sport with free agency, there are distinct schools of thought regarding its effectiveness. Is it better to pay huge sums of money to someone and risk him losing his edge due to complacency o read news >>

UFC 197 Medical Suspensions: Jon Jones, OSP Possibly Sidelined for Six Months

Jon Jones recently returned to championship status, winning the interim version of the UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 197 on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Anderson Silva's Championship Record Is About to Fall as Mouse Nears GOAT Status

Henry Cejudo has an idea. It’s an idea Cejudo came by honestly, after spending just shy of three minutes in the Octagon with Demetrious Johnson on Saturday at UFC 197. Almost all of those 169 seconds read news >>