Jon Jones nearly left one of his big toes in the Octagon on Saturday night in spite of an otherwise dominant victory over Chael Sonnen in the UFC 159 main event.

Shortly after the light heavyweight title headliner concluded, Sherdog.com’s Jon Gelber confirmed with the cage-side physician that Jones’ injury was an open fracture dislocation, meaning that bone was exposed. A host of images and videos now appearing online also verify that fact.

The injury leaves the UFC light heavyweight champion in a state of uncertainty, as it is unclear how long such an injury will take to mend. Nevertheless, Jones is already viewing the forthcoming rehabilitation process as an opportunity to grow.

“When the fight was over, I saw blood. Then, I looked closer and realized that my toe was pretty much upside down, but it’s all good,” Jones told Fox Sports following his win at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. “I was planning on working harder in my off season and doing things even better and cleaner, and this is going to give me a great reason to do that, rehabbing my big toe -- not only getting it back to strength, but making it even stronger than it was before. A [broken] big toe isn’t going to slow me down.”

Jones, who finished Sonnen with just 27 seconds remaining in the first round, said he was unable to remember exactly when the injury took place. However, the champion was readily able to recall the physical sensation of the event.

“I was springing forward, and I felt a pop. I thought my foot got caught in a hole,” said Jones. “I had that happen at Jackson’s [MMA]. We had a little hole in our floor canvas, and I stuck my big toe in there. It was fine, but I said, ‘Coach, you gotta get that fixed, because it’s pretty dangerous.’ I thought that was the scenario here tonight.”

Following the bout, fans and media postulated what would have occurred had Sonnen survived Jones’ onslaught of ground-and-pound to see a second round. While it is likely that the cageside doctor would have halted the action and a no-contest would have been rendered, Jones said that he would have continued to compete if possible.

“Honestly, with the coaching staff I have, I don’t think my coaches would have allowed me to dwell on [the toe] too much,” said Jones. “I think they would have tried twisting on it and [they would have made] me go back out there. That’s the name of the game. I try to live like a warrior, and unless I go through crazy stuff, I’ll never know how much of a warrior I can be.”

With his victory over Sonnen, Jones tied Tito Ortiz’s record for successful light heavyweight title defenses. Should Jones pick up a victory in his next outing, he would alone hold the record with six defenses of the belt. While much will surely ride upon that contest when it is booked, Jones seems more concerned with healing his body than with calling out future challengers.

“I’m not going to [call out someone]. Tonight is a great night for me. I’m just going to be grateful for what I’ve achieved tonight and let everybody else rest easy,” said Jones. “I don’t know the extent of this injury, but I will be taking it seriously and doing everything I can to rehab it and make sure I’m 100 percent before getting back in there. I think I have a great thing going, and there’s no need to rush and not heal myself properly.”

Ex-UFC champ Jon Jones still planning jump to heavyweight, awaits 'perfect opponent'

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has flip-flopped on the possibility of moving up to the heavyweight division over the years. Currently, however, he said it’s eventually going to happe read news >>

Ronda Rousey Makes Quick Work of Early Weigh-in (UFC 207 Weigh-in Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey blew in like storm and left the same way following a brief appearance at Thursday's UFC 207 early morning weigh-in. read news >>

For Cody Garbrandt, a Sudden Case of UFC Stardom Is Just One Punch Away

The new UFC doesn’t have time for a slow build. Show some star power, flash a bolt of charisma, illustrate a hint of uncommon talent, and the machine will find you. Say what you will about the UFC’s read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey, Amanda Nunes After UFC 207

UFC boss Dana White insisted Ronda Rousey has been left “devastated” after her brutal defeat against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in Las Vegas. Making her long-awaited return to the Octagon, Rousey was pu read news >>

Jon Jones, Demetrious Johnson Agree: Ronda Rousey Should Return to the UFC

Much like when Ronda Rousey lost to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in 2015, there was a fair bit of schadenfreude on display following her UFC 207 defeat at the hands of Amanda Nunes. People ranging from anon read news >>

Jimmie Rivera withdraws from UFC Fight Night 103 after picking Marlon Vera over John Dodson

After injury forced Bryan Caraway to withdraw from next week’s UFC Fight Night 103, opponent Jimmie Rivera has now pulled himself from the card, as well.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey says she'll take time 'and think about the future,' Jon Jones encourages 'Rowdy' fight again

Former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey isn’t ready to call it a career just yet, but she admits she needs a little time to figure out her next move.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bryan Caraway Out of UFC Phoenix, John Dodson Offers to Step In | MMAWeekly.com

An injury has scrapped a pivotal UFC Phoenix bantamweight match-up, but John Dodson is offering to step in to save the day. read news >>

Bryan Caraway Explains Injury That Forced Him Out of UFC Phoenix Bout | MMAWeekly.com

Fifth-ranked bantamweight Bryan Caraway details the injury that forced him out of his scheduled bout at next week's UFC Fight Night 103 in Phoenix. read news >>

Cat Zingano blasts 'disrespectful' champ Amanda Nunes

UFC women’s bantamweight contender Cat Zingano isn’t impressed with how Amanda Nunes has carried herself since a one-sided UFC 207 win over Ronda Rousey – and is promising to do something about it. read news >>