Jon Jones nearly left one of his big toes in the Octagon on Saturday night in spite of an otherwise dominant victory over Chael Sonnen in the UFC 159 main event.

Shortly after the light heavyweight title headliner concluded, Sherdog.com’s Jon Gelber confirmed with the cage-side physician that Jones’ injury was an open fracture dislocation, meaning that bone was exposed. A host of images and videos now appearing online also verify that fact.

The injury leaves the UFC light heavyweight champion in a state of uncertainty, as it is unclear how long such an injury will take to mend. Nevertheless, Jones is already viewing the forthcoming rehabilitation process as an opportunity to grow.

“When the fight was over, I saw blood. Then, I looked closer and realized that my toe was pretty much upside down, but it’s all good,” Jones told Fox Sports following his win at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. “I was planning on working harder in my off season and doing things even better and cleaner, and this is going to give me a great reason to do that, rehabbing my big toe -- not only getting it back to strength, but making it even stronger than it was before. A [broken] big toe isn’t going to slow me down.”

Jones, who finished Sonnen with just 27 seconds remaining in the first round, said he was unable to remember exactly when the injury took place. However, the champion was readily able to recall the physical sensation of the event.

“I was springing forward, and I felt a pop. I thought my foot got caught in a hole,” said Jones. “I had that happen at Jackson’s [MMA]. We had a little hole in our floor canvas, and I stuck my big toe in there. It was fine, but I said, ‘Coach, you gotta get that fixed, because it’s pretty dangerous.’ I thought that was the scenario here tonight.”

Following the bout, fans and media postulated what would have occurred had Sonnen survived Jones’ onslaught of ground-and-pound to see a second round. While it is likely that the cageside doctor would have halted the action and a no-contest would have been rendered, Jones said that he would have continued to compete if possible.

“Honestly, with the coaching staff I have, I don’t think my coaches would have allowed me to dwell on [the toe] too much,” said Jones. “I think they would have tried twisting on it and [they would have made] me go back out there. That’s the name of the game. I try to live like a warrior, and unless I go through crazy stuff, I’ll never know how much of a warrior I can be.”

With his victory over Sonnen, Jones tied Tito Ortiz’s record for successful light heavyweight title defenses. Should Jones pick up a victory in his next outing, he would alone hold the record with six defenses of the belt. While much will surely ride upon that contest when it is booked, Jones seems more concerned with healing his body than with calling out future challengers.

“I’m not going to [call out someone]. Tonight is a great night for me. I’m just going to be grateful for what I’ve achieved tonight and let everybody else rest easy,” said Jones. “I don’t know the extent of this injury, but I will be taking it seriously and doing everything I can to rehab it and make sure I’m 100 percent before getting back in there. I think I have a great thing going, and there’s no need to rush and not heal myself properly.”

Rematch on hold: Injury forces Daniel Cormier off UFC 197 headliner vs. Jon Jones

After all the uncertainty of the past week, it appears this month’s highly anticipated rematch won’t be happening after all. But it won’t be for the reason anyone initially thought.Filed under: Featu read news >>

Daniel Cormier Withdraws from UFC 197 Fight vs. Jon Jones Due to Injury

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has suffered an injury that will hold him out of his UFC 197 fight against Jon Jones on April 23, according to BJPenn.com. ESPN.com's Brett Okamoto confi read news >>

Daniel Cormier Injured, Out of UFC 197 Headliner with Jon Jones

All joking aside, injury has forced Daniel Cormier out of the UFC 197 headliner opposite Jon Jones. read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier battle on Twitter after 'D.C.' offers to train Saint Preux

Daniel Cormier’s injury kept him out of his planned UFC 197 title defense against longtime rival Jon Jones, but the light heavyweight champ wasn’t quite ready to remove himself from the picture entir read news >>

Jon Jones Talks Daniel Cormier Injury, Issues Heavyweight Challenge for UFC 197

UFC light heavyweight contender Jon "Bones" Jones still wants to fight at UFC 197, even after Daniel Cormier pulled out of the event with an injury, and he has urged the UFC to come up with a replace read news >>

Jon Jones Taunts Daniel Cormier in Deleted Tweet About UFC 197 Injury Withdrawal

UFC light-heavyweight contender Jon "Bones" Jones showed the rivalry between he and Daniel Cormier is alive and well, taunting the current champion for pulling out of their scheduled bout at UFC 197 read news >>

Why Anthony Johnson isn’t fighting Jon Jones on short notice at UFC 197

Anthony Johnson was the first option that came to mind when news broke that Daniel Cormier was injured and would be unable to fight Jon Jones at UFC 197. So why didn’t Johnson get the call instead of read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>

Jon Jones Questions Daniel Cormier Injury (UFC 197 Video)

Jon Jones expressed his doubt about the legitimacy of Daniel Cormier's injury at the UFC 197 Media Day in Las Vegas. read news >>

Champ Daniel Cormier: 'If this is the new Jon Jones, there's no way that guy can beat me'

Daniel Cormier isn’t impressed with Jon Jones’ performance against Ovince Saint Preux in UFC 197’s main event on Saturday night.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>