Following his one-sided victory over Dion Staring at Strikeforce’s final event last Saturday, Daniel Cormier made his UFC intentions perfectly clear.

First calling out former UFC heavyweight king Frank Mir for an April 20 showdown at UFC on Fox 7, Cormier next turned his attention to light heavyweight ruler Jon Jones.

“I’m going to let Jon defend his belt on April 27, and then I’m going to kick his ass in the fall,” Cormier said.

Responding to the comment on Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight,” Jones said he welcomed a meeting with the 238-pound American Kickboxing Academy standout, who would need to cut down to the 205-pound light heavyweight limit in order to challenge “Bones” for his belt.

“I think the guy is a tremendous athlete, and I wish he would just do it and stop talking about it,” said Jones. “I’m open to fighting the best guys in the world. That’s why I’m here.”

Prior to any meeting with Cormier, however, Jones must first deal with former two-time middleweight title contender Chael Sonnen, who returns to light heavyweight for the first time since 2005 to challenge Jones at UFC 159.

Sonnen made headlines last fall for offering to take a short-notice fight with Jones at UFC 151 after Jones’ original opponent, Dan Henderson, pulled out of the main event due to a knee injury. Though the card was ultimately canceled after Jones declined the last-minute pairing, the resulting fallout prompted the UFC to cast the men as opposing coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 17, which debuts Jan. 22 on FX.

Though Jones says his initial impression of Sonnen was a negative one, his opinion of the verbose veteran was altered after spending time with his opponent during the filming of “TUF 17.”

“I realized that Chael is really good at putting on an act, and when he’s not acting, he’s actually a pretty solid individual,” said Jones. “I’m glad I did have this time with Chael, because my thoughts of him were pretty brutal before. He’s redeemed himself a little bit with me.”

As for the 42-year-old Henderson, Jones believes the former two-division Pride pacesetter still deserves to be included in the UFC title discussion. Henderson returns to the Octagon on Feb. 23 at UFC 157, squaring off with former champion Lyoto Machida a co-main event that likely holds serious title implications for both men.

“I would love it for Dan Henderson to get back into title contention. I don’t think he ever really left title contention. He just had an injury,” said Jones. “With the momentum that he has had going for him, I think it’s only fair to give him a shot at the title. Me and him have unfinished business. Ultimately, that’s up to Dana [White] and those guys, but [Henderson] has my OK to be in there.”

Video: Daniel Cormier and Rashad Evans have beef after FOX cameras stop rolling

They say there's a little bit of truth behind every joke... Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is buddy-buddy with former 205-pound kingpin Rashad Evans, l read news >>

The MMA Hour - 294 - Dave Meltzer

Our own Dave Meltzer will stop by to discuss the latest MMA news. read news >>

Cris Cyborg to Ronda Rousey: 'Stop being a Do Nothing B*tch', fight me!

Cris Cyborg used Ronda Rousey's 'do nothing b*tch' line against her while calling her out. During the lead up to UFC 190, Ronda Rousey made the term DNB or 'Do Nothing Bitch' popular, when she spoke read news >>

Knuckle Up #353: UFC FN, OSP v. Teixeira, Jon Jones on The Long Slide + why this show is what it is

Literary gunslinger Eugene S. Robinson lends his "one"-of-a-"kind" "perspective" to a KNUCKLE UP only for KNUCKLE UP OBSESSIVES, filmed in a border town from some unknown locale on a completely sketc read news >>

Tito Ortiz Claims UFC Offerend Cris Cyborg Fight vs. Ronda Rousey in Dallas Stadium

In talking about his upcoming fight and Fedor with Inside MMA, Tito Ortiz dropped a bomb, saying the UFC has offered Cris Cyborg the fight with Ronda Rousey. read news >>

UFC oddsmakers set 'Rousey vs. Cyborg' betting line ... and it's close

Just because the world is talking about a Ronda Rousey vs. Cristiane Justino "super fight" (guilty as charged), doesn't mean it's any closer to actually happening. Still, it's hard not to wonder if t read news >>

Coach: Fedor Emelianenko an 'easy fight' for Jon Jones

"I have not even spoken to Jon about it, but looking at how, you know, Fedor's fights towards the end of his career [went], I think unless he changed something, I think it's an easy fight for Jon." I read news >>

Coach: Fedor would be an easy fight for Jon Jones

Mike Winkeljohn likes Jon Jones' chances against the Russian MMA legend and free agent Fedor Emelianenko. read news >>

Cris Cyborg threatens Ronda Rousey with legal action for steroid 'lies' in the media

When Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen were scheduled to fight back in 2013, "Bones" decided the best way to talk trash was to accuse "The American Gangster" of doing steroids his entire career, an accusati read news >>

UFC 190 Talking Points: Ronda Does It Again

Against an insolent opponent who appeared to be her greatest challenge, Rousey was ruthless and efficient. Naturally, her brilliant first-round knockout of Bethe Correia leads off today’s Talking Poi read news >>