Following his one-sided victory over Dion Staring at Strikeforce’s final event last Saturday, Daniel Cormier made his UFC intentions perfectly clear.

First calling out former UFC heavyweight king Frank Mir for an April 20 showdown at UFC on Fox 7, Cormier next turned his attention to light heavyweight ruler Jon Jones.

“I’m going to let Jon defend his belt on April 27, and then I’m going to kick his ass in the fall,” Cormier said.

Responding to the comment on Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight,” Jones said he welcomed a meeting with the 238-pound American Kickboxing Academy standout, who would need to cut down to the 205-pound light heavyweight limit in order to challenge “Bones” for his belt.

“I think the guy is a tremendous athlete, and I wish he would just do it and stop talking about it,” said Jones. “I’m open to fighting the best guys in the world. That’s why I’m here.”

Prior to any meeting with Cormier, however, Jones must first deal with former two-time middleweight title contender Chael Sonnen, who returns to light heavyweight for the first time since 2005 to challenge Jones at UFC 159.

Sonnen made headlines last fall for offering to take a short-notice fight with Jones at UFC 151 after Jones’ original opponent, Dan Henderson, pulled out of the main event due to a knee injury. Though the card was ultimately canceled after Jones declined the last-minute pairing, the resulting fallout prompted the UFC to cast the men as opposing coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 17, which debuts Jan. 22 on FX.

Though Jones says his initial impression of Sonnen was a negative one, his opinion of the verbose veteran was altered after spending time with his opponent during the filming of “TUF 17.”

“I realized that Chael is really good at putting on an act, and when he’s not acting, he’s actually a pretty solid individual,” said Jones. “I’m glad I did have this time with Chael, because my thoughts of him were pretty brutal before. He’s redeemed himself a little bit with me.”

As for the 42-year-old Henderson, Jones believes the former two-division Pride pacesetter still deserves to be included in the UFC title discussion. Henderson returns to the Octagon on Feb. 23 at UFC 157, squaring off with former champion Lyoto Machida a co-main event that likely holds serious title implications for both men.

“I would love it for Dan Henderson to get back into title contention. I don’t think he ever really left title contention. He just had an injury,” said Jones. “With the momentum that he has had going for him, I think it’s only fair to give him a shot at the title. Me and him have unfinished business. Ultimately, that’s up to Dana [White] and those guys, but [Henderson] has my OK to be in there.”

Why Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit 2 Shouldn’t Happen Next

Stop with all the damn talk about rematches, please. read news >>

Video: Despite move back to Philly, Eddie Alvarez says no troubles with Blackzilians

BOSTON – UFC lightweight Eddie Alvarez wants fight writers to stop stirring the pot when it comes to his training camps. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Anik picking Cruz over champ Dillashaw due to McGregor-like confidence

Jon Anik remembers the time he sat between Jon Jones and Rashad Evans prior to their fight at UFC 145. “They went 90 minutes straight, and after one minute (and 15 seconds), I didn’t say a word,” he read news >>

The New Kaiju King: Jon Jones Would Destroy Godzilla Inside of 2 Rounds

Jon Jones' latest Instagram posts are the equivalent of sirens blaring to warn of Godzilla coming ashore. They are an omen of impending destruction. And absolutely no one is safe. He is coming back t read news >>

Ex-champ Jon Jones would fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196 – if heavyweight belt is on line

Here’s an intriguing – though likely farfetched – possibility for next week’s UFC 196 headliner.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Jones Willing to Fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196, Wants Heavyweight Title

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones has revealed he would be willing to fight heavyweight contender Stipe Miocic at UFC 196?but only if the heavyweight title is on the line. The u read news >>

Hot Tweet: Jon Jones Willing to Fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones on Monday said that he would fight Stipe Miocic in the UFC 196 main event on Feb. 6... with one condition. read news >>

UFC 196: Jon Jones vs. Stipe Miocic at HWT Is Too Big, Too Crazy to Pass Up

If the old cliche is true and “luck” is what happens when preparation meets opportunity—well, the UFC, Jon Jones and Stipe Miocic all have a chance to get really lucky right now. But the window is fl read news >>

Stipe Miocic: I didn't turn down UFC 196 headliner with Jon Jones

Stipe Miocic went from a contender on the sidelines, to a potential UFC 196 headliner and title challenger, back to the sidelines in a matter of a few days. But one thing he’s not? A fight-ducker.Fil read news >>