Following his one-sided victory over Dion Staring at Strikeforce’s final event last Saturday, Daniel Cormier made his UFC intentions perfectly clear.

First calling out former UFC heavyweight king Frank Mir for an April 20 showdown at UFC on Fox 7, Cormier next turned his attention to light heavyweight ruler Jon Jones.

“I’m going to let Jon defend his belt on April 27, and then I’m going to kick his ass in the fall,” Cormier said.

Responding to the comment on Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight,” Jones said he welcomed a meeting with the 238-pound American Kickboxing Academy standout, who would need to cut down to the 205-pound light heavyweight limit in order to challenge “Bones” for his belt.

“I think the guy is a tremendous athlete, and I wish he would just do it and stop talking about it,” said Jones. “I’m open to fighting the best guys in the world. That’s why I’m here.”

Prior to any meeting with Cormier, however, Jones must first deal with former two-time middleweight title contender Chael Sonnen, who returns to light heavyweight for the first time since 2005 to challenge Jones at UFC 159.

Sonnen made headlines last fall for offering to take a short-notice fight with Jones at UFC 151 after Jones’ original opponent, Dan Henderson, pulled out of the main event due to a knee injury. Though the card was ultimately canceled after Jones declined the last-minute pairing, the resulting fallout prompted the UFC to cast the men as opposing coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 17, which debuts Jan. 22 on FX.

Though Jones says his initial impression of Sonnen was a negative one, his opinion of the verbose veteran was altered after spending time with his opponent during the filming of “TUF 17.”

“I realized that Chael is really good at putting on an act, and when he’s not acting, he’s actually a pretty solid individual,” said Jones. “I’m glad I did have this time with Chael, because my thoughts of him were pretty brutal before. He’s redeemed himself a little bit with me.”

As for the 42-year-old Henderson, Jones believes the former two-division Pride pacesetter still deserves to be included in the UFC title discussion. Henderson returns to the Octagon on Feb. 23 at UFC 157, squaring off with former champion Lyoto Machida a co-main event that likely holds serious title implications for both men.

“I would love it for Dan Henderson to get back into title contention. I don’t think he ever really left title contention. He just had an injury,” said Jones. “With the momentum that he has had going for him, I think it’s only fair to give him a shot at the title. Me and him have unfinished business. Ultimately, that’s up to Dana [White] and those guys, but [Henderson] has my OK to be in there.”

Daniel Cormier: I need Jon Jones back, so I can 'stop playing around with these guys'

LAS VEGAS -- Daniel Cormier said after winning the UFC light heavyweight title over Anthony Johnson four months ago that he would be fine if Jon Jones never came back and tried to regain the belt. Co read news >>

Daniel Cormier mocks Alexander Gustafsson, wants Jon Jones back

The UFC light-heavyweight champion wants to "stop playing around" with other fighters and face his biggest foe again. UFC light-heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and his predecessor Jon Jones are a read news >>

Daniel Cormier: I need to fight Jon Jones instead of playing around with these other light heavyweights

Reigning 205-pound champion Daniel Cormier wants Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) to stop wasting his time with these other light heavyweights and give him the one fight he needs for his mixed ma read news >>

Jon Jones legal team could be positioning for plea deal in felony hit-and-run case

There might be movement in the Jon Jones case very soon. The former UFC champion's legal team could be positioning him for a plea deal in Bernalillo County Second Judicial District Court in his felon read news >>

Glover Teixeira: Daniel Cormier should defend his title at least once before talking s--t

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has spent a lot of time talking about Jon Jones, despite that fact that Alexander Gustafsson awaits him at the UFC 192 p read news >>

Phil Davis hopes former UFC rival Jon Jones 'gets cleaned up and back to action'

Phil Davis has said plenty about former UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones over the years, and not much of it has been positive. But that’s not currently the case.Filed under: Bellator, News, U read news >>

Vitor Belfort on Chris Weidman's UFC 187 drug test: 'Did he stop cycling?'

Vitor Belfort decided to lobby an accusation back in the direction of his UFC middleweight Chris Weidman when discussing drug testing recently. Vitor Belfort's name has come up a bit in recent days d read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2043 with John Morgan talking the latest MMA news

Stream or download Tuesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guest John Morgan.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Needs Jon Jones to Make Career Complete (Video)

UFC champion Daniel Cormier has accomplished much in his career, but needs banished former champion Jon Jones to return to make his career complete. read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson Fires Back at Daniel Cormier Over Jon Jones Comment

UFC champ Daniel Cormier is tired of hearing about how Alexander Gustafsson almost beat Jon Jones. Well, so is Alexander Gustafsson. read news >>