alexander-gustafsson-9.jpgIn the buildup to next week’s UFC 165, the promotion is selling title challenger Alexander Gustafsson as champ Jon Jones‘ physical equal, if not his combative one.

A promo for the event implies that Gustafsson’s 6-foot-5 stature is key to his credibility as a light heavyweight contender.

What the clip doesn’t reveal is the relative reach of Jones and Gustafsson, which isn’t exactly a useless stat in breaking down the fight. Jones’ wingspan is measured at 84.5 inches (the longest in the UFC), while Gustafsson’s is 76.5. As with most of his fights, it appears the champ could eat a sandwich on one side of the octagon and jab and kick his foe on the other.

But that’s if you believe everything you read on the Internet.

Gustafsson corrected MMAjunkie.com on the figure widely reported to be his reach.

“My reach is not 76.5,” he said during a conference call in support of UFC 165, which takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. “It’s 81.2. I just wanted to mention that.”

But regardless of the rogue biographers within the UFC and on Wikipedia, Gustafsson isn’t convinced that a reach disadvantage will play much of a part in the title fight, which headlines the event’s pay-per-view card.

“It’s not always about reach,” he said. “It’s about footwork. It’s about being fast, getting in and out. I’m really making sure I’ve done my homework there. I’m super motivated.”

Reach, however, isn’t the only deficit Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) is running against Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC). According to FightMetric, the UFC’s official statistics providers, he is a less accurate striker, landing 36 percent to Jones’ 53. He also absorbs more strikes per minute than Jones (2.29 to 1.44).

On the other hand, the challenger lands a fraction more significant strikes per minute than the champ (3.98 to 3.94).

Asked about the necessity of closing the distance to score, Gustafsson simply said, “I will win this fight by staying on the outside.”

But that’s Jones’ idea, too.

“I just believe that I use my reach better,” he said. “If you watch my fights and you watch Alexander’s fights, he gets hit a lot with a lot of different punches.

“With me, I’ve gone through some fights where fighters have only punched me once. I mean, I fought (Quinton) ‘Rampage’ Jackson, and he hit me, like, twice in the whole fight. Lyoto Machida was able to touch my face twice in the whole fight.

“(I’m) fighting against the best guys in the world, and a lot of them never even get a chance to punch me in the face throughout the fight. So I just believe I use my timing, my rhythm, my distance a lot better than him. I think the proof is in the pudding.”

For more on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Alexander Gustafsson)

Ex-UFC champ Jon Jones still planning jump to heavyweight, awaits 'perfect opponent'

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has flip-flopped on the possibility of moving up to the heavyweight division over the years. Currently, however, he said it’s eventually going to happe read news >>

Jon Jones, Demetrious Johnson Agree: Ronda Rousey Should Return to the UFC

Much like when Ronda Rousey lost to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in 2015, there was a fair bit of schadenfreude on display following her UFC 207 defeat at the hands of Amanda Nunes. People ranging from anon read news >>

Ronda Rousey says she'll take time 'and think about the future,' Jon Jones encourages 'Rowdy' fight again

Former UFC women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey isn’t ready to call it a career just yet, but she admits she needs a little time to figure out her next move.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Future in UFC

UFC fighter Ronda Rousey announced that she would take some time to contemplate her future in the sport after being knocked out by Amanda Nunes in 48 seconds at UFC 207. Rousey spoke about her pendin read news >>

UFC 207 Technical Recap: How Nunes and Garbrandt Came out on Top

UFC 207 is in the books, and we have a brand-new men's bantamweight champion to go along with what looks like a dominant women's bantamweight champion after Cody Garbrandt upset Dominick Cruz to take read news >>

Ronda Rousey says she'll take time 'and think about the future,' Jon Jones encourages 'Rowdy' to fight again

Amanda Nunes Advice to Ronda Rousey: 'Very Bad Mistake' (UFC 207 video) | MMAWeekly.com

After Amanda Nunes defended her UFC women's bantamweight title against Ronda Rousey at UFC 207, she had some words of advice for the former champion. read news >>

UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey - Fantasy Rewind

UFC 207 is in the books and it's time to recap how the night went for fantasy UFC pickers. Who had Amanda Nunes and Cody Garbrandt pulling the upsets? Find out here. read news >>

Dana White Reiterates Conor McGregor is Not in His Immediate Plans (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White stands by his belief that Conor McGregor won't be back in the Octagon until late in 2017. read news >>

Neil Magny wanted Johny Hendricks to make weight for UFC 207 – for admittedly selfish reasons

LAS VEGAS – Neil Magny really wanted Johny Hendricks to have a manageable weight cut and successfully hit the scales for UFC 207. Granted, the reasoning was a little selfish.Filed under: Featured Vid read news >>