alexander-gustafsson-9.jpgIn the buildup to next week’s UFC 165, the promotion is selling title challenger Alexander Gustafsson as champ Jon Jones‘ physical equal, if not his combative one.

A promo for the event implies that Gustafsson’s 6-foot-5 stature is key to his credibility as a light heavyweight contender.

What the clip doesn’t reveal is the relative reach of Jones and Gustafsson, which isn’t exactly a useless stat in breaking down the fight. Jones’ wingspan is measured at 84.5 inches (the longest in the UFC), while Gustafsson’s is 76.5. As with most of his fights, it appears the champ could eat a sandwich on one side of the octagon and jab and kick his foe on the other.

But that’s if you believe everything you read on the Internet.

Gustafsson corrected MMAjunkie.com on the figure widely reported to be his reach.

“My reach is not 76.5,” he said during a conference call in support of UFC 165, which takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. “It’s 81.2. I just wanted to mention that.”

But regardless of the rogue biographers within the UFC and on Wikipedia, Gustafsson isn’t convinced that a reach disadvantage will play much of a part in the title fight, which headlines the event’s pay-per-view card.

“It’s not always about reach,” he said. “It’s about footwork. It’s about being fast, getting in and out. I’m really making sure I’ve done my homework there. I’m super motivated.”

Reach, however, isn’t the only deficit Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) is running against Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC). According to FightMetric, the UFC’s official statistics providers, he is a less accurate striker, landing 36 percent to Jones’ 53. He also absorbs more strikes per minute than Jones (2.29 to 1.44).

On the other hand, the challenger lands a fraction more significant strikes per minute than the champ (3.98 to 3.94).

Asked about the necessity of closing the distance to score, Gustafsson simply said, “I will win this fight by staying on the outside.”

But that’s Jones’ idea, too.

“I just believe that I use my reach better,” he said. “If you watch my fights and you watch Alexander’s fights, he gets hit a lot with a lot of different punches.

“With me, I’ve gone through some fights where fighters have only punched me once. I mean, I fought (Quinton) ‘Rampage’ Jackson, and he hit me, like, twice in the whole fight. Lyoto Machida was able to touch my face twice in the whole fight.

“(I’m) fighting against the best guys in the world, and a lot of them never even get a chance to punch me in the face throughout the fight. So I just believe I use my timing, my rhythm, my distance a lot better than him. I think the proof is in the pudding.”

For more on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Alexander Gustafsson)

UFC Fight Night 93: What's Troubling Alexander Gustafsson?

This summer has been bittersweet for Canadian music fans. Yes, that’s an odd place to start in discussing a Swedish mixed martial artist, but give it a second. One of the greatest rock bands the coun read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93: On the Fly with Alexander Gustafsson

Before he takes on Jan Blachowicz at UFC Fight Night 93 in Hamburg on Saturday, UFC On The Fly catches up with Alexander "The Mauler" Gustafsson. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Joe Rogan Video Preview: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jan Blachowicz

Before they fight it out in the UFC Hamburg co-main event on Saturday, hear Joe Rogan breakdown the match-up between Alexander Gustaffson and Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

UFC Hamburg Fight Highlights: Alexander Gustafsson Takedowns Leads to Victory

Check out the UFC Fight Night 93 highlights from the fight between Alexander Gustafsson and Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

Gustafsson vs. Blachowicz: Results and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 93

It was 11 months in the making for Alexander Gustafsson, but when he finally returned to the cage at UFC Fight Night 93 on Saturday against Jan Blachowicz, he did so in style. The popular Swede went read news >>

UFC Fight Night 93 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Mauls Jan Blachowicz

Second-ranked light heavyweight Alexander Gustafsson snapped a two-fight losing streak in the UFC Fight Night 93 co-main event on Saturday, defeating up-and-comer Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Irate if Jon Jones Fights Anthony Johnson with Interim Belt | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is not happy about the idea that Jon Jones could defend the interim title against Anthony Johnson in his return. read news >>

What if Jon Jones Returned at Heavyweight? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez Don't Like It | MMAWeekly.com

What if Jon Jones returned to the Octagon as a heavyweight and fought Stipe Miocic? Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez tear the idea apart. read news >>

Anthony Johnson Skips Jon Jones, Calls Out Daniel Cormier | MMAWeekly.com

Anthony Johnson isn't waiting around for Jon Jones, he's taking aim at UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier. read news >>

What Does Everyone Else Deserve When Jon Jones Returns? | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Joshua Dahl-USA TODAY Sports Jon Jones has reduced the UFC's 205-pound weight class to a supporting cast of characters, and he's done it by barely fighting at all. The long-reigning light he read news >>