Jon Jones UFC 145There is no shortage of opinions in the mixed martial arts world when it comes to the controversial subject of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT).

Over the last few years, the procedure has become a hot-button subject among promoters, journalists and fighters alike as the debate rages on whether the practice of TRT should be legal and allowed (as it is now, so long as it is approved by an athletic commission) or is essentially legal cheating.

Chael Sonnen is one of the fighters who was at the forefront of the TRT controversy after divulging he was prescribed the therapy by his doctor after they found he had dangerously low levels of testosterone being produced by his body naturally.

He’s remained on the treatment for the past several years, and with approval by the athletic commissions, so long as his testosterone levels are within legal limits, he can fight while using TRT.

If there’s one person who has no problem speaking out against the use of TRT in MMA it is Sonnen’s next opponent, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones.

During a TUF 17 media conference call on Wednesday, when Sonnen stated he would be the best athlete that Jones has ever faced, the champion fired back by saying, “Is that you being in good shape on TRT or off of TRT?”

When pushed on the subject further, Jones didn’t back down when speaking about the controversial therapy, pointing towards age catching up to fighters and how TRT is just cheating with a legal name attached to it.

“I think it’s terrible. I think it’s absolutely terrible if you’re going to consider yourself an athlete. TRT would be perfect for Chael Sonnen if he wasn’t competing in one of the toughest sports in the world,” Jones stated.

“I think Chael Sonnen made tons of money when he was a young guy, and now he’s an older guy. And now just to be able to take a drug and super-enhance yourself back to where you were in your 20's is bull.”

As men get older, their testosterone levels drop naturally, but TRT has been viewed as a virtual “fountain of youth” for some aging competitors. Fighters like Dan Henderson, Frank Mir and Forrest Griffin have all been granted TRT exemptions by athletic commissions in the couple of years.

Jones isn’t a fan of the procedure at all, and says getting older is just part of athletics. You won’t be able to do the same things at 35 years of age that you could when you were 25, and that’s just a fact.

“Right now I’m 25, I’m sure I’m not as giddy and happy-go-lucky as I was when I was 20, so if I take a drug at my 25-year-old age and have the energy of a 20-year-old, it just wouldn’t be fair. Everyone would hate me if I did it, but Chael Sonnen gets to do it? I think it’s bull crap,” Jones stated.

Sonnen didn’t have much to say in response other than saying, “I don’t have any comment.”

Will Sonnen’s usage of TRT come up again during the filming of The Ultimate Fighter Season 17? If this is any indicator, Jones has no problem bringing it up and pointing the finger directly at Sonnen.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your UFC news and updates.

From Around the Web

Daniel Cormier critical of Anthony Johnson's role in fake brawl with Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier thought the fake brawl between Anthony Johnson and Jon Jones was funny, but didn't think it was the direction that Johnson should be going ahead of his title shot. A few months before read news >>

Jon Jones talks UFC Super Fight: I believe I'll beat Cain Velasquez at heavyweight

"When" Jon Jones moves up to heavyweight, he says he's confident that he has all the tools to beat the champ in Cain Velasquez. Jon Jones will be looking to defend his belt for the 9th time against A read news >>

Jon Jones: I believe I have the skill set to beat Cain Velasquez at heavyweight

Before you completely start discounting "Bones," check out the reasoning behind his claim by diving in below. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones is at a point i read news >>

Anthony Johnson owns fight prank on Dana White: He 'damn near sh*t on himself'

Anthony Johnson and Jon Jones ended up as unlikely allies during a recent press conference as the pair of future opponents joined forces to prank UFC president Dana White. Jon Jones has had a very co read news >>

Daniel Cormier criticizes Anthony Johnson for fake brawl with UFC champ Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier has mixed thoughts – not all of them good – about the fake brawl staged by UFC champion Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson at this past Saturday’s “UFC: Welcome to the Show” press conferenc read news >>

Anthony Johnson explains his and Jon Jones' plot to punk Dana White

LOS ANGELES -- Anthony Johnson was the ringleader. He was the one who approached Jon Jones backstage at the UFC's Welcome to the Show press conference Saturday morning at Staples Center. "We need to read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones will not label Anderson Silva as a 'cheater'

Friends don't call each other cheaters. "When you go through a situation like he's gone through, there's a lot of medical people that are gonna advise you to do this or that to heal yourself. I'll ne read news >>

Jon Jones admits he will 'never' look at Anderson Silva as a cheater

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones explains why he does not consider the former middleweight kingpin a cheater. Last month, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva sent shockwaves throu read news >>

Jon Jones: I'll never look at Anderson Silva as a cheater

LOS ANGELES -- When Anderson Silva beat Nick Diaz last month at UFC 183, Silva jumped out of the Octagon and greeted Jon Jones in celebration. Jones, the UFC light heavyweight champion, doesn't think read news >>