Jon Jones at UFC 136Following the cancellation of UFC 151, after a couple false re-starts, the reset finally came with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones set to put his belt on the line against Vitor Belfort in the UFC 152 main event.

Jones had originally been slated to head UFC 151, challenged by Dan Henderson, who fell off the card due to injury.

Belfort had been busy working his way back up the UFC middleweight division, but when push came to shove and the UFC needed an opponent for Jones, Belfort stepped up and was granted a title shot.

A war can be waged over whether the former UFC light heavyweight champion deserves a shot at Jones or not, but what really can’t be argued is the fact that anyone on any given day, at this level of the sport, can win. And that simple fact hasn’t slipped past Jones.

“Vitor Belfort is a UFC original, a real, true legend,” said Jones at Wednesday’s UFC 152 open workouts in Toronto. “He has so much experience at so many different weight classes and I cannot underestimate him.”

Belfort, 35, is one of the most experienced fighters in the UFC. He began his professional MMA career at just 19 years of age, shredding through the opposition. With the fastest hands in the sport, he knocked out his first four opponents, mowing three of them down inside the opening minute of the fight.

The fight that etched in everyone’s mind, however, is when Belfort blitzed a young “Axe Murderer,” laying out Wanderlei Silva in front of a fervent crowd of countrymen at UFC Brazil in 1998.

When he’s on his game, Belfort still possesses the speed and power to knock out anyone that sets foot in the Octagon.

Jones knows that, but he doesn’t fear it.

“He’s a very powerful striker, but in this situation, I feel I am the more versatile striker in the fight,” said the champ. “I won’t shy away from a striking battle just because he has a punch. He’s got a unique style and I enjoy matching up against guys like that.”

Much like Belfort in his day, Jones has stormed the completion, rolling over the likes of Vladimir Matyushenko, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Lyoto Machida, and Rashad Evans.

Just as Belfort was known as “the Phenom,” so is Jones.

That can be a dominant champions ultimate downfall, buying into the hype that surrounds him. Belfort, when he was in his zone, rolled over anyone in his path, but given to distraction, his alter ego, the vulnerable Vitor, could appear.

Jones has yet to show that he has that alter ego, but he’s surely being put to the test now, falling under a heavy dose of criticism for everything from a recent DWI incident to turning down a short-notice fight that may have saved UFC 151 from cancellation.

He also faces the calls of those who say he has decimated his division; that he needs to move on to superfights against the likes of Anderson Silva or perhaps move up to new challenges in the heavyweight division. But Jones isn’t buying.

“In no way have I ‘cleared out’ the division,” remarked the champ. “Everyone’s style is a puzzle for me, and who knows which style I will have the most trouble with.”

At 25 years of age, there’s a lot of life left in Jones’ career, and he’s got a clear vision for it.

“I’m about to fight my fifth straight UFC champion – which I was told is a UFC record – and I’m very proud of fighting the best guy available in each of my fights,” Jones stated. “That’s how you build a legacy in a sport.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC 152 news and event coverage.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Vitor Belfort Slams UFC Reebok Deal, Says He's Lost Millions

  • 29 days ago
  • 29 views

The UFC's deal with apparel giant Reebok has cost Vitor Belfort millions of dollars in sponsorship revenue. That's according to the fighter himself, who spoke Monday with Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighti read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Jon Jones, Doesn’t Albuquerque Have Uber?

  • 29 days ago
  • 15 views

Chael Sonnen weighs in on Jon Jones and his latest round of trouble while driving in Albuquerque, N.M., to offer some common sense advice... stop driving! read news >>

UFC 197 headliner Jon Jones agrees to plea deal; judge doesn’t impose curfew

  • 28 days ago
  • 12 views

After his latest traffic infraction, former UFC champion Jon Jones will need the permission of his probation officer to use a motor vehicle.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Admits to Probation Violation, Accepts Plea Deal (Full Court Video)

  • 28 days ago
  • 18 views

Jon Jones appeared in a New Mexico court on Thursday, where he admitted to violating his probation before he was released from jail. read news >>

Jon Jones Released from Jail After Admitting to Probation Violation

  • 28 days ago
  • 7 views

Jon Jones was released from the Metropolitan Detention Center in Albuquerque, N.M., on Thursday after accepting a plea deal and admitting to violating his probation. read news >>

UFC 'disappointed' with Jon Jones, but UFC 197 headliner is still a go

  • 28 days ago
  • 20 views

Jon Jones’ latest legal woes won’t force a change to next month’s UFC 197 lineup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Issues Statement on Jon Jones, Confirms He Will Still Fight at UFC 197

  • 28 days ago
  • 38 views

Jon Jones spent several days in jail and had a hearing before a judge on Thursday, but he will remain in the UFC 197 main event. read news >>

Dana White Video: Jon Jones is Never Going to be the Jon Jones People Expect

  • 28 days ago
  • 129 views

UFC president Dana White weighs in on Jon Jones and his recent legal issues in New Mexico. read news >>

UFC Brass 'Disappointed' in Jon Jones, Call Actions 'Dumb,' but UFC 197 Goes on

  • 28 days ago
  • 19 views

The UFC was not impressed with Jon Jones' performance. In a violation of his probation, Jones was arrested Tuesday. He received a fresh round of traffic violations after verbally sparring with police read news >>