UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones recently took aim at future opponent Chael Sonnen during Tuesday night’s most recent episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

Jones, who will face Sonnen in the main event of UFC 159 on April 27, previously stated that the challenger did not possess a championship soul. When asked to clarify that statement, Jones responded with the following:

Chael Sonnen is a guy who people know [has] done steroids throughout his whole career, and that’s probably why his testosterone is low now,” Jones said. “I don’t think that is the heart or the attitude of a champion, so that’s what I meant when I said he lacks a championship soul.”

Sonnen, a 36-year-old testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) patient, has never been found guilty of steroid use. The former two-time middleweight title challenger previously produced an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio in California that resulted in a suspension and fine handed down by the California State Athletic Commission in 2010.

Jones and Sonnen recently went head-to-head as coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 17, maintaining a degree of cordiality during the show’s tapings. The men now top the UFC 159 pay-per-view, which takes place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and marks Sonnen’s first appearance at light heavyweight since 2005.

“I’m really not concerned with too many of Chael’s gifts. Chael is an awesome fighter. He has pretty good boxing; he loves his wrestling, and he’s been really successful with his wrestling. He has really good ground-and-pound,” said Jones. “I’ve just familiarized myself with the whole thing, and I’m really comfortable with what I’m getting ready to face. I wouldn’t say any of it really concerns me. I’m just ready to go out there, react, be instinctual, do my best and try to do what I do.”

When asked if he had a message for Sonnen ahead of their championship showdown, Jones was succinct in reply.

“Bring your best,” said Jones. “I hope you’re having a great camp. I hope you’re healthy, and I’m excited for this awesome challenge.”

Jon Jones and the fine line between lessons and patterns

Of all the missteps Jon Jones has taken in his career -- including Sunday’s latest when he allegedly ran a red light in Albuquerque, caused a three-car accident, injured a pregnant woman, and fled th read news >>

Twitter Reacts to Jon Jones' Felony Charge

The downward spiral in the career of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones hit face first into the pavement on Sunday afternoon, and it might take more than a $25,000 fine to get him out of this m read news >>

Chael Sonnen on Jon Jones: 'You either cut the guy completely or shut up'

Chael Sonnen doesn't agree with the UFC's decision of simply taking away Jon Jones' belt. He believes something more drastic should've been done or nothing at all. Most people think the decision to s read news >>

@JonJones Pokes Fun at Jon Jones Twitter Haters

So what did @JonJones do when the Twitterati took aim at Jon Jones, not knowing they were firing at @JonJones? Had a little fun... of course! read news >>

Jon Jones Warned by Dana White over Future as Chael Sonnen Queries UFC Sanction

UFC President Dana White has admitted Jon Jones has "got some work to do" after being suspended by the organisation for his part in an alleged hit-and-run accident that left a pregnant woman with a b read news >>

Chael Sonnen 'confused' by UFC punishment of Jon Jones: 'If you part ways with a guy, cut him completely'

"I'm a little bit confused by it. You have to do something, you have to take some kind of action, I support that. But I don't fully know what it means to strip a guy of his belt. What do you do with read news >>

Chanel Sonnen’s advice to Jon Jones on how to get over with fans

For retired fighter turned media pundit Chael Sonnen, there’s the script most people read from when atoning for a mistake, and there’s the one that best suits this game of cage fighting (which, of co read news >>

Daniel Cormier on Chael Sonnen's 'punk' comment: 'Remember the source'

Chael Sonnen recently made headlines for the first time in awhile when he chimed in on the UFC light heavyweight title situation. Speaking on his podcast, Sonnen said that anyone who would accept the read news >>

Daniel Cormier responds to Chael Sonnen's 'punk' comments: This guy paraded around with a fake UFC belt

Chael Sonnen recently declared that only a "punk" would walk around claiming to be the light heavyweight champion if they earned the belt without ever beating former division kingpin, Jon Jones. "If read news >>