Jon Jones: People Know Chael Sonnen Has Done Steroids His Whole Career

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones recently took aim at future opponent Chael Sonnen during Tuesday night’s most recent episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

Jones, who will face Sonnen in the main event of UFC 159 on April 27, previously stated that the challenger did not possess a championship soul. When asked to clarify that statement, Jones responded with the following:

Chael Sonnen is a guy who people know [has] done steroids throughout his whole career, and that’s probably why his testosterone is low now,” Jones said. “I don’t think that is the heart or the attitude of a champion, so that’s what I meant when I said he lacks a championship soul.”

Sonnen, a 36-year-old testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) patient, has never been found guilty of steroid use. The former two-time middleweight title challenger previously produced an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio in California that resulted in a suspension and fine handed down by the California State Athletic Commission in 2010.

Jones and Sonnen recently went head-to-head as coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 17, maintaining a degree of cordiality during the show’s tapings. The men now top the UFC 159 pay-per-view, which takes place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and marks Sonnen’s first appearance at light heavyweight since 2005.

“I’m really not concerned with too many of Chael’s gifts. Chael is an awesome fighter. He has pretty good boxing; he loves his wrestling, and he’s been really successful with his wrestling. He has really good ground-and-pound,” said Jones. “I’ve just familiarized myself with the whole thing, and I’m really comfortable with what I’m getting ready to face. I wouldn’t say any of it really concerns me. I’m just ready to go out there, react, be instinctual, do my best and try to do what I do.”

When asked if he had a message for Sonnen ahead of their championship showdown, Jones was succinct in reply.

“Bring your best,” said Jones. “I hope you’re having a great camp. I hope you’re healthy, and I’m excited for this awesome challenge.”

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is considered by most to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. See his top eight performances as chosen by Joe Rogan.Filed under: News, UFC, Video read news >>

• a day ago

From Quinton Jackson to Mauricio Rua, reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones has seen and done it all inside the Octagon. Well, almost. He still has to read news >>

In a few weeks, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones looks for his record eighth straight title defense. Watch the fight that first earned him the belt.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones on Thursday was required to submit to a random drug test. read news >>

Check out UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones at a Paradise Warrior Retreat event in Montreal showing kicking techniques. read news >>

• a day ago

Since his UFC debut in 2008, reigning light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has quickly evolved into one of the most successful fighters in company history. Take a look inside his incredible numbers.F read news >>

Apparently UFC light heavyweight champ and pound-for-pound kingpin Jon Jones believes in superstition—particularly when it pertains to his pre-fight rituals. "I would never bring my belt out to the c read news >>

UFC light heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson badly wants revenge against Jon Jones, which is why he's hoping he defeats Daniel Cormier in January. January 2015 is going to be a massive month read news >>

Not really. But I guess Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight kingpin Jon Jones couldn't resist taking a shot at the promotion's decision to give former WWE superstar CM Punk a chanc read news >>