Jon Jones: People Know Chael Sonnen Has Done Steroids His Whole Career

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones recently took aim at future opponent Chael Sonnen during Tuesday night’s most recent episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

Jones, who will face Sonnen in the main event of UFC 159 on April 27, previously stated that the challenger did not possess a championship soul. When asked to clarify that statement, Jones responded with the following:

Chael Sonnen is a guy who people know [has] done steroids throughout his whole career, and that’s probably why his testosterone is low now,” Jones said. “I don’t think that is the heart or the attitude of a champion, so that’s what I meant when I said he lacks a championship soul.”

Sonnen, a 36-year-old testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) patient, has never been found guilty of steroid use. The former two-time middleweight title challenger previously produced an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio in California that resulted in a suspension and fine handed down by the California State Athletic Commission in 2010.

Jones and Sonnen recently went head-to-head as coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 17, maintaining a degree of cordiality during the show’s tapings. The men now top the UFC 159 pay-per-view, which takes place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and marks Sonnen’s first appearance at light heavyweight since 2005.

“I’m really not concerned with too many of Chael’s gifts. Chael is an awesome fighter. He has pretty good boxing; he loves his wrestling, and he’s been really successful with his wrestling. He has really good ground-and-pound,” said Jones. “I’ve just familiarized myself with the whole thing, and I’m really comfortable with what I’m getting ready to face. I wouldn’t say any of it really concerns me. I’m just ready to go out there, react, be instinctual, do my best and try to do what I do.”

When asked if he had a message for Sonnen ahead of their championship showdown, Jones was succinct in reply.

“Bring your best,” said Jones. “I hope you’re having a great camp. I hope you’re healthy, and I’m excited for this awesome challenge.”

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight kingpin Jon Jones is 20-1, and recently broke the promotion's record for successful 205-pound title defenses. And outside of a close unanimous d read news >>

Because Olympics > High School. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones was bagging on UFC 182 opponent Daniel Cormier, because "DC" was unable to medal at the Ol read news >>

Unlike UFC President Dana White, heavyweight Alistair Overeem sees no reason why he shouldn’t train with 205-pound champion Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Another day, another shot fired in the always-entertaining Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier rivalry.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The spotlight in no longer so bright on Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier’s brewing feud, but the upcoming title challenger recently dropped an interesting nugget on social media.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Very rarely does a fight come together via honest divisional math that has as much heat and validity as Jon Jones versus Daniel Cormier. That isn’t to say that there haven’t been some very lucrative read news >>

Aside from Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson, TJ Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao 2 was the most anticipated of all championship rematches. Because of apparent complications with Barao's weight cut, that b read news >>

‘Frustrated’ Dana White wants Greg Jackson to explain why injured Jon Jones was training with Alistair Overeem read news >>

Alistair Overeem addressed the UFC president's angry accusations that suggested Overeem and Greg Jackson deserve blame for Jon Jones' injury. UFC president Dana White was very unhappy with Greg Jacks read news >>