Jon Jones: People Know Chael Sonnen Has Done Steroids His Whole Career

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones recently took aim at future opponent Chael Sonnen during Tuesday night’s most recent episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV.

Jones, who will face Sonnen in the main event of UFC 159 on April 27, previously stated that the challenger did not possess a championship soul. When asked to clarify that statement, Jones responded with the following:

Chael Sonnen is a guy who people know [has] done steroids throughout his whole career, and that’s probably why his testosterone is low now,” Jones said. “I don’t think that is the heart or the attitude of a champion, so that’s what I meant when I said he lacks a championship soul.”

Sonnen, a 36-year-old testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) patient, has never been found guilty of steroid use. The former two-time middleweight title challenger previously produced an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio in California that resulted in a suspension and fine handed down by the California State Athletic Commission in 2010.

Jones and Sonnen recently went head-to-head as coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 17, maintaining a degree of cordiality during the show’s tapings. The men now top the UFC 159 pay-per-view, which takes place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., and marks Sonnen’s first appearance at light heavyweight since 2005.

“I’m really not concerned with too many of Chael’s gifts. Chael is an awesome fighter. He has pretty good boxing; he loves his wrestling, and he’s been really successful with his wrestling. He has really good ground-and-pound,” said Jones. “I’ve just familiarized myself with the whole thing, and I’m really comfortable with what I’m getting ready to face. I wouldn’t say any of it really concerns me. I’m just ready to go out there, react, be instinctual, do my best and try to do what I do.”

When asked if he had a message for Sonnen ahead of their championship showdown, Jones was succinct in reply.

“Bring your best,” said Jones. “I hope you’re having a great camp. I hope you’re healthy, and I’m excited for this awesome challenge.”

• a day ago

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones eye-poked Glover Teixeira in the UFC 172 main event, which took place last May in Baltimore, Maryland. UFC President Dana read news >>

Wanderlei Silva recently came out of nowhere and announced his retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA), bashing his longtime employers over at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in the process. Se read news >>

Former UFC middleweight superstar, Chael Sonnen gives a complete blueprint for success to featherweight champion, Jose Aldo. Since former UFC Middleweight lightning rod, Chael Sonnen retired from act read news >>

"People were saying, 'why won't he say he's sorry?' I'm not. I'm not going to apologize because I'm not sorry. I'm a consenting adult. I knew exactly what I was doing. This was a premeditated decisio read news >>

UFC champion Jon Jones exposes himself during nude Snapchat session. So, Jon Jones like to get pervy on Snapchat, and now he's been caught in the act. In a 4 second video clip that was released by Bo read news >>

Welcome to the Promotional Malpractice Live Chat, episode 105. I'm back, y'all. Vacation was weird and wonderful (and desperately needed), but I'm back. I'm so excited to do this chat today and recon read news >>

The UFC lost their major fight in Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier, but the rest of the event they built lives on as UFC 178 takes place Saturday. The card is filled with top fighters, UFC debuts, UFC re read news >>

Although it lost Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier, UFC 178 still heads into Saturday as a strong card. Headlining the event will be a 125-pound championship bout between Demetrious Johnson and Chris Cari read news >>

This week’s Twitter Mailbag answers reader questions on all things UFC 178, but also finds time to address the other big news of the week in the wild world of MMA.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>