For Jon Jones, success at UFC 178 won’t be attained by merely winning and defending his light heavyweight title.

He has to dominate Alexander Gustafsson on September 27.

It’s hard to imagine that a year has almost passed since Jones and Gustafsson’s epic light heavyweight clash at UFC 165. Both men expended every ounce of fight in their bodies for 25 minutes in arguably the greatest title fight in UFC history.

When the battle smoke lifted, Jones was left standing with his hand raised, but Gustafsson had carved out a niche in the UFC that would grow over the next few months. The brazen challenger was ultimately treated as the victor for going toe-to-toe with such a dominant champ.

Despite wearing the UFC strap, Jones feels detached from the iconic plate of gold. For months, fans and pundits have attacked his courage for delaying facing Gustafsson again. It is almost as if the MMA world has forgotten Jones effortlessly dispatching MMA legends and a plethora of top contenders to surpass Tito Ortiz’s record for light heavyweight title defenses.

Backed into a corner, the sleeping giant that is tossing and turning inside of Jones is ready to roar back to life and make the world remember why he is the top pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He had this to say during an appearance on ESPN’s MMA Live:

My biggest takeaway is just to train harder than I did last time, give it my full undivided attention. I believe if I simply do that everything’s going to work out.

...A successful showing would be for me to go out there and dominate. I’ve been able to dominate pretty much everyone I’ve ever faced except for Gustafsson in that first fight, and success for me is to not only win this fight but to dominate it.

Like Gustafsson, Jones learned a lot about himself in the first bout. Along with the rest of the world, he got a glimpse of his own grit and determination to fan back the flames of adversity while reaching up and claiming the proverbial brass ring.

The bout with Gustafsson may be his most criticized performance, but in some ways, Jones looks back on it as quite possibly his best showing as a professional fighter.

“In some ways, that Gustafsson fight was the strongest showing (of my career), to finish that fight the way I finished it and to display the heart that I did to remain being the champion, to beat Tito Ortiz’s record that very same night. I would give that fight as one of my top showings,” Jones said.

Greatness will once again be within reach when the lights dim and the Octagon door closes on September 27.

Who will be the one to attain it?

Jordy McElroy is a featured columnist for Bleacher Report. He is also the MMA writer for Rocktagon.

From Around the Web

Ronda Rousey's UFC dominance outpacing Jon Jones, Georges St-Pierre, Anderson Silva

With Ronda Rousey’s win over Cat Zingano in the main event of UFC 184, she has once again shown an amazing ability to dominate the best that her division has to offer.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Champ Ronda Rousey Cut Deal with Dana to Make a Movie Before Next Fight | MMAWeekly.com

After defending her UFC women’s bantamweight title for the third time in a one-year span on Saturday, Ronda Rousey plans to film a movie before she accepts another fight. read news >>

UFC 184 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 184 event in Los Angeles, several of the winning and losing fighterstook to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.F read news >>

Jon Jones admits he will 'never' look at Anderson Silva as a cheater

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones explains why he does not consider the former middleweight kingpin a cheater. Last month, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva sent shockwaves throu read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Jon Jones will not label Anderson Silva as a 'cheater'

Friends don't call each other cheaters. "When you go through a situation like he's gone through, there's a lot of medical people that are gonna advise you to do this or that to heal yourself. I'll ne read news >>

Daniel Cormier criticizes Anthony Johnson for fake brawl with UFC champ Jon Jones

Daniel Cormier has mixed thoughts – not all of them good – about the fake brawl staged by UFC champion Jon Jones and Anthony Johnson at this past Saturday’s “UFC: Welcome to the Show” press conferenc read news >>

Jon Jones talks UFC Super Fight: I believe I'll beat Cain Velasquez at heavyweight

"When" Jon Jones moves up to heavyweight, he says he's confident that he has all the tools to beat the champ in Cain Velasquez. Jon Jones will be looking to defend his belt for the 9th time against A read news >>

Jon Jones back on heavyweight train, believes he could beat champ Velasquez

UFC light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones is still thinking about moving up a division, changing his mind after previously writing off fights at heavyweight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones and his legal team looking into 'foul play' behind UFC 182 drug test fiasco

Prior to his UFC 182 title defense against Daniel Cormier earlier this year in Las Vegas, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones tested positive for cocaine metabolites in an out-of-competition dru read news >>