Jon Jones UFC 87Jon Jones is the type of man that has been on a journey of discovery for a long, long time, probably his entire life. But to say that his journey intensified over the past couple of weeks would be an understatement.

When UFC president Dana White pulled the plug on UFC 151, much of the criticism he and other leveled landing squarely on Jones’ shoulders.

Yes, Jon Jones turned down a short-notice fight with Chael Sonnen, but he readily points out that he was ready to go when it came to his original opponent, Dan Henderson, and that he was only doing what was right for himself and his family.

It was Henderson that pulled out of the original UFC 151 main event, injuring his knee in training.

Still, Jones was hammered by everyone from White to fans to media for declining a short-notice bout just eight days removed from fight time… but he’s not apologetic about it. In fact, he considered it one of those important learning points in his life.

“I’ve said it before as far as the lesson that I learned,” Jones said during a UFC 152 media call on Tuesday to promote his fight with Vitor Belfort. “It’s just kind of a sad message, but it’s a legit message. At the end of the day, people are going to do what’s right for themselves. I did what was right for my family.

“(Dana White) did what was right by himself, by blaming a lot of other people around him. I did what was right by myself by not (taking the fight). That was the lesson ultimately learned by me. At the end of the day, people are going to do what’s right for themselves. It’s natural human emotion to survive and that’s what we both did.”

Jones’ approach to the whole UFC 151 cancellation has brought more realization to him as well.

With all the criticism leveled at him, particularly among other fighters and a faction of fans, Jones’s skin has gotten a little thicker.

“I train so hard to not even get hit, let alone to talk about losing a fight,” Jones told MMAWeekly.com. “I love this sport so much; I owe it to myself to think of myself in the highest regard. So I’m not going to apologize if I’m a little full of myself when it comes to MMA. You gotta be full of yourself, because that’s how you master yourself, that’s where you master your abilities. Be the biggest critic of yourself and be able to praise yourself and speak highly of yourself.

“So I’m not apologetic about that, that slight arrogance I may hold when it comes to being a martial artist.”

Sometimes his comments place Jones in a public role of being the villain, but he won’t sit for that. He believes in his heart that he’s a good person, “the nicest person ever,” and he won’t sit back and be painted into a dark corner.

“I’m not going to embrace the role of being the villain, because I’m not a villain,” Jones declared.  “At the same time, I’m gonna make comments and say things that I think are true.

“I want to express who I am as a person and this is who I am.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC 152 news and updates.

A Wealth of Experience Gives Jose Torres Confidence Heading into Titan FC 40 Showdown

Jose Torres may be short on pro experience, but his plethora of amateur fights has him feeling confident heading into Titan FC 40 on UFC Fight Pass. read news >>

Jon Jones Takes Plea Deal in Drag Racing Case

Jon Jones, already on probation for a felony hit-and-run case, accepted a plea deal in Albuquerque Metropolitan Court on Thursday. read news >>

Jon Jones Teases Quick Return from USADA Suspension in Instagram Post

Jon Jones has had a rough 12 months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champ feels like things are starting to turn around. That seems to be the case, at least, as Jones indicated he may be back i read news >>

Jon Jones Says He’ll Be Back in the Octagon ‘Really Soon’

UFC interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones sounds as if he's come into some good news regarding his UFC Anti-Doping Policy case. read news >>

Dana White Says it Looks Like Jon Jones Took ‘Something Else,’ Could Be Good News

Dana White on Tuesday appeared to back Jon Jones' recent statement that he could be back really soon. read news >>

Anthony Johnson Video: Stop Talking About Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones, I Have to Fight Glover

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has a big fight in front of him in the form of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202 on Aug. 20. If it's all the same with you, he'd really like it if everyone would quit asking him abo read news >>

Glover Teixeira Focused on Anthony Johnson, Doesn’t Really Care About Jon Jones (UFC 202 Video)

Glover Teixeira could be lined up for a title fight is he gets past Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 202 on Aug. 20, but all everyone wants to talk about is Jon Jones. read news >>

Anthony Johnson vs. Glover Teixeira Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

In a light heavyweight landscape without Jon Jones, Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is the clear-cut No. 1 contender to Daniel Cormier's throne. That's the statement Johnson went about proving in the co-mai read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls out Rumble Johnson After UFC 202 Win, Dismisses Jon Jones

Following Anthony Johnson's 13-second knockout of Glover Teixeira at UFC 202, Johnson immediately called for a rematch against champion Daniel Cormier, who was in the audience. Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

Dana White Wants to Make Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson for a Shot at Daniel Cormier

Anthony Johnson and Daniel Cormier are both ready to rematch each other, but UFC president Dana White may have other plans, which include Jon Jones. read news >>