Jon Jones UFC 87Jon Jones is the type of man that has been on a journey of discovery for a long, long time, probably his entire life. But to say that his journey intensified over the past couple of weeks would be an understatement.

When UFC president Dana White pulled the plug on UFC 151, much of the criticism he and other leveled landing squarely on Jones’ shoulders.

Yes, Jon Jones turned down a short-notice fight with Chael Sonnen, but he readily points out that he was ready to go when it came to his original opponent, Dan Henderson, and that he was only doing what was right for himself and his family.

It was Henderson that pulled out of the original UFC 151 main event, injuring his knee in training.

Still, Jones was hammered by everyone from White to fans to media for declining a short-notice bout just eight days removed from fight time… but he’s not apologetic about it. In fact, he considered it one of those important learning points in his life.

“I’ve said it before as far as the lesson that I learned,” Jones said during a UFC 152 media call on Tuesday to promote his fight with Vitor Belfort. “It’s just kind of a sad message, but it’s a legit message. At the end of the day, people are going to do what’s right for themselves. I did what was right for my family.

“(Dana White) did what was right by himself, by blaming a lot of other people around him. I did what was right by myself by not (taking the fight). That was the lesson ultimately learned by me. At the end of the day, people are going to do what’s right for themselves. It’s natural human emotion to survive and that’s what we both did.”

Jones’ approach to the whole UFC 151 cancellation has brought more realization to him as well.

With all the criticism leveled at him, particularly among other fighters and a faction of fans, Jones’s skin has gotten a little thicker.

“I train so hard to not even get hit, let alone to talk about losing a fight,” Jones told MMAWeekly.com. “I love this sport so much; I owe it to myself to think of myself in the highest regard. So I’m not going to apologize if I’m a little full of myself when it comes to MMA. You gotta be full of yourself, because that’s how you master yourself, that’s where you master your abilities. Be the biggest critic of yourself and be able to praise yourself and speak highly of yourself.

“So I’m not apologetic about that, that slight arrogance I may hold when it comes to being a martial artist.”

Sometimes his comments place Jones in a public role of being the villain, but he won’t sit for that. He believes in his heart that he’s a good person, “the nicest person ever,” and he won’t sit back and be painted into a dark corner.

“I’m not going to embrace the role of being the villain, because I’m not a villain,” Jones declared.  “At the same time, I’m gonna make comments and say things that I think are true.

“I want to express who I am as a person and this is who I am.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC 152 news and updates.

Former UFC champ Jon Jones makes first comment since arrest on felony charges

Jon Jones has broken his silence. On Tuesday night, the former UFC light heavyweight champion made his first public comments since allegedly being involved in a hit-and-run car accident Sunday mornin read news >>

UFC releases statement on Jon Jones' suspension

The UFC has released a statement after stripping Jon Jones of his light heavyweight title and suspending him indefinitely. UFC announced that it has suspended Jon Jones indefinitely and stripped him read news >>

UFC strips title from champion Jon Jones, suspends him indefinitely

Jon Jones is no longer the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion. UFC President Dana White made an appearance on "FOX Sports Live" earlier this evening (April 28, 2015) to a read news >>

Jon Jones stripped of title, Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson for belt headlines UFC 187

The best pound-for-pound fighter in the world is no longer a UFC champion. The UFC stripped Jon Jones of his light heavyweight title Tuesday night in the wake of his arrest on felony hit-and-run char read news >>

Daniel Cormier reacts to Jon Jones getting stripped of title and replacing him at UFC 187

As announced on Tuesday night on "FOX Sports Live," Daniel Cormier will now fight Anthony Johnson for the undisputed UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas. Jon Jones was strip read news >>

Jon Jones suspended, stripped of title; Daniel Cormier fights Anthony Johnson at UFC 187

In a bombshell announcement on Fox Sports Live, UFC president Dana White confirmed that Jon Jones has been stripped of his belt, which will now be contested between Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson read news >>

'Soul-searching' Jon Jones breaks silence, issues public apology to 'everyone I've let down'

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones made his first public comments since being arrested on felony hit-and-run charges in Albuquerque, N.M., earlier this week. An read news >>

Jon Jones apologizes to fans on Twitter: 'Got a lot of soul searching to do'

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones went to his Twitter account for his first remarks since his hit-and-run incident and subsequent arrest in Albuquerque. Presently a free man on bail, UFC light read news >>

Dana White on Jon Jones: 'People make mistakes', UFC future still unclear

UFC president Dana White provides his first public comments on Jon Jones' hit-and-run case in Albuquerque. UFC president Dana White is in Albuquerque, New Mexico alongside Lorenzo Fertitta and Lawren read news >>