Jon Jones UFC 145UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was by far the most talked about athlete heading into Saturday night’s UFC 152 card for a myriad of reasons.

At the top of the list were the questions about Jones turning down a short-notice fight with Chael Sonnen at UFC 151, an event that was ultimately cancelled when no main event could be retained for the show.

But prior to UFC 152 on Saturday, commentator Joe Rogan sat down with the 205-pound king to discuss another matter – his arrest and conviction earlier this year on charges of driving under the influence.

Jones was arrested on May 19 for suspicion of driving while intoxicated, and ultimately led to the New York native being fined $1,000 and having his driver’s license suspended for the next six months.

Looking back on the situation, Jones says that the DWI was a wake-up call, but mostly served notice that he wasn’t perfect and showed everyone he was capable of making mistakes.

“I believe in some cases MMA fans, and just fans of sports in general, have short memories. I actually believe my DUI set me free in some ways. It set me free from a lot of fan expectation. I was definitely coming into a sport as a young man trying to be perfect for people, and that’s why people call me fake. I wasn’t doing myself justice at all,” Jones said when speaking to Rogan during the UFC 152 prelims on FX.

“I was kind of living miserably trying to be the golden boy for the UFC. So my DUI, it was terrible to get behind the wheel of a car while I was already under the influence, it was a bad decision, but it set me free. Now people know, yeah, I will drink on occasion, and I am a 25-year-old guy who does dumb stuff.”

Jones admits that the end result of driving drunk could have been deadly for others as well as an obvious danger to his own health, but he tries to turn the whole ordeal into a positive.

Now, Jones looks back on his DWI as a way to grow as an adult and he’s looking forward to pressing through the adversity as he heads into his next fight on Saturday against Vitor Belfort at UFC 152.

“I guess the biggest thing I learned from the situation is how things could have gone wrong. I could have hurt someone; I could not be sitting here right now. I could be dead and I’m blessed that didn’t end up happening. My life, I’m doing so well at a lot of things and you can find yourself becoming bored in a way. Bored with such a routine in life and everything,” said Jones

“So to go through such struggle and have so many people criticizing me, whether it’s about the (UFC 151) cancellation or the DWI, it’s all a blessing. It’s another opportunity to grow as a man.”

For more news about UFC 152 make sure to follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter

Jon Jones Hires a Full-Time Driver After Recent Traffic Citations

MMA fighter and former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has hired his nutritionist, Lou Giordano, to also serve as his full-time driver after a recent incident that resulted in his being issu read news >>

'Humbled' by jail stay, Jon Jones hopes to embody resiliency on way back to belt

Jon Jones won’t blame anyone else for his recent stay in Albuquerque’s Metropolitan Detention Center, but he does believe the ordeal proved a humbling experience. But “Bones” said it’s not going to s read news >>

Why Jon Jones decided to step up and not pull out of UFC 197 (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: The ex-champ declined a replacement bout at UFC 151, but he has a change of heart regarding fighting Ovince Saint Preux. read news >>

Why Jon Jones decided to step up and not pull out of UFC 197 (Yahoo Sports)

Why Anthony Johnson isn’t Fighting Jon Jones at UFC 197?

Why didn't Anthony "Rumble" Johnson get the call to fight Jon Jones at UFC 197? UFC president Dana White explains. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Responds to Jon Jones' Comments

UFC fighter Daniel Cormier apparently did not appreciate that Jon Jones called him a coward when he appeared on The MMA Hour on Monday (h/t Shaun Al-Shatti of MMAFighting.com). Cormier took to Twitte read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier battle on Twitter after 'D.C.' offers to train Saint Preux

Daniel Cormier’s injury kept him out of his planned UFC 197 title defense against longtime rival Jon Jones, but the light heavyweight champ wasn’t quite ready to remove himself from the picture entir read news >>

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier Hot Tweets: Liars, Cowards, and Junkies… Oh My!

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier may not be fighting at UFC 197 as planned, but that hasn't stopped them from continuing to trash each other on Twitter. read news >>

Rashad Evans asked for Jon Jones rematch, but UFC on FOX 19 booking nixed that

Rashad Evans definitely wanted another crack at Jon Jones and asked the UFC for the opportunity. The problem was, as it often is, bad timing.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, read news >>

UFC 197 headliner Jon Jones pleads not guilty to drag racing charges in New Mexico

Jon Jones is fighting a quintet of traffic citations that triggered a brief jail stint this past week, but they won’t get in the way of his interim title fight at UFC 197. Jones has plead not guilty read news >>