By all accounts, Johny Hendricks is now next in line to challenge UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Hendricks emerged victorious in a hard-fought co-main event at UFC 158, taking a unanimous decision from Carlos Condit at Bell Centre in Montreal. Hendricks and Condit were awarded “Fight of the Night” for their bout, which immediately preceded the show’s headlining attraction between St. Pierre and challenger Nick Diaz.

Hendricks took it to the former interim champion from the get-go, pursuing “The Natural Born Killer” with hard left hooks and double-leg takedowns. Despite Hendricks’ pressure, Condit did not wilt, instead fighting to return to his feet each time “Bigg Rigg” planted him on the canvas.

“I knew Carlos was going to be a tough dude. I knew I had to win, but I also knew I wanted to come in here and steal it from GSP and Nick Diaz, and I think we did that,” Hendricks told Fox Sports after his win. “I knew it was going to be a tough fight for me, and I knew it was going to be a test. I’ve never really been pushed like that. Even when I took him down, I thought I did very [well] in his guard. I know he’s got a tough guard, so that gave me even more confidence as the fight went on.”

After the first round, Hendricks was forced to deal with an additional concern, as his power hand was suddenly injured during a takedown to close out the opening frame.

“I think I might have fractured my knuckle,” Hendricks said. “When I took him down in that last 10 seconds, I flared his legs, and they went right into the cage. My finger just went straight down the cage. It was just a freak accident.”

Hendricks continued to throw his powerful left in the second and third rounds, though the fighter admitted that the effect of those punches was diminished. Unlike so many of Hendricks’ previous foes, Condit managed to absorb the shots and keep his wits, even rallying in the third round to place the hard-hitting southpaw on the defensive.

“I wasn’t hitting him that hard. I was scared that I might hurt myself throwing [my left] hard,” said Hendricks. “Nobody has ever [knocked out] Carlos Condit, and now I know why. That’s what I was expecting. I knew I had to go in there and prepare for a 15-minute war, and it was exactly what I thought it was going to be.”

With his place as No. 1 welterweight contender now secure, Hendricks is next expected to lock horns with St. Pierre after winning 10 of his first 11 UFC bouts and besting the likes of Martin Kampmann, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch and Condit.

“If I don’t get the title shot, yeah, I [would be] devastated,” said Hendricks. “I think I would have to step back and rethink what I should do in my career.”

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier battle on Twitter after 'D.C.' offers to train Saint Preux

Daniel Cormier’s injury kept him out of his planned UFC 197 title defense against longtime rival Jon Jones, but the light heavyweight champ wasn’t quite ready to remove himself from the picture entir read news >>

Tony Ferguson injury scraps UFC on FOX 19 main event vs. Nurmagomedov; Evans-Teixeira headlines

An injury has scrapped another UFC main event less than two weeks before the fight. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Matt Mitrione on the UFC: ‘They Steal from Your Left and Right Pockets’

Matt Mitrione wasn't happy with the UFC when he booked it for Bellator, and his latest comments on the matter might show why. read news >>

Cub Swanson vs. Hacran Dias shifts from prelims to UFC on FOX 19 main-card opener

With an injury on Tuesday scrapping the UFC on FOX 19 headliner, the event now has a new opening fight for the main card. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Explains Injury and #AnybodyButJon Movement (Video)

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier explains how the injury occurred that forced him out of his rematch with former titleholder Jon Jones at UFC 197. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86’s Robert Whiteford: Like a good Scotch whisky, I get better with time

ZAGREB, Croatia – UFC featherweight Robert Whiteford left the octagon with a gash on his forehead, a broken nose, fractured orbital, and, as he puts it, and ear almost torn off his head. Filed under: read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 results: Jared Cannonier KOs Cyril Asker with left and vicious elbows

ZAGREB, Croatia – Jared Cannonier said after his vicious knockout of Cyril Asker that he’s still getting used to the octagon, two fights into the UFC. If that’s the case, future opponents might have read news >>

Conor McGregor's Team-Mate, Charlie Ward, Leaves MMA Rival in Critical Condition

MMA fighter Joao Carvalho has been left in a "critical condition" after being stopped by Charlie Ward, a team-mate of Conor McGregor's at Straight Blast Gym in Ireland. According to the Star (h/t the read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Video: UFC 196 Withdrawal, Conor McGregor, and What’s Next?

Rafael Dos Anjos gave an update on his injury recovery, hinted about his next opponent, and talked about Conor McGregor and the featherweight belt. read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>