By all accounts, Johny Hendricks is now next in line to challenge UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Hendricks emerged victorious in a hard-fought co-main event at UFC 158, taking a unanimous decision from Carlos Condit at Bell Centre in Montreal. Hendricks and Condit were awarded “Fight of the Night” for their bout, which immediately preceded the show’s headlining attraction between St. Pierre and challenger Nick Diaz.

Hendricks took it to the former interim champion from the get-go, pursuing “The Natural Born Killer” with hard left hooks and double-leg takedowns. Despite Hendricks’ pressure, Condit did not wilt, instead fighting to return to his feet each time “Bigg Rigg” planted him on the canvas.

“I knew Carlos was going to be a tough dude. I knew I had to win, but I also knew I wanted to come in here and steal it from GSP and Nick Diaz, and I think we did that,” Hendricks told Fox Sports after his win. “I knew it was going to be a tough fight for me, and I knew it was going to be a test. I’ve never really been pushed like that. Even when I took him down, I thought I did very [well] in his guard. I know he’s got a tough guard, so that gave me even more confidence as the fight went on.”

After the first round, Hendricks was forced to deal with an additional concern, as his power hand was suddenly injured during a takedown to close out the opening frame.

“I think I might have fractured my knuckle,” Hendricks said. “When I took him down in that last 10 seconds, I flared his legs, and they went right into the cage. My finger just went straight down the cage. It was just a freak accident.”

Hendricks continued to throw his powerful left in the second and third rounds, though the fighter admitted that the effect of those punches was diminished. Unlike so many of Hendricks’ previous foes, Condit managed to absorb the shots and keep his wits, even rallying in the third round to place the hard-hitting southpaw on the defensive.

“I wasn’t hitting him that hard. I was scared that I might hurt myself throwing [my left] hard,” said Hendricks. “Nobody has ever [knocked out] Carlos Condit, and now I know why. That’s what I was expecting. I knew I had to go in there and prepare for a 15-minute war, and it was exactly what I thought it was going to be.”

With his place as No. 1 welterweight contender now secure, Hendricks is next expected to lock horns with St. Pierre after winning 10 of his first 11 UFC bouts and besting the likes of Martin Kampmann, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch and Condit.

“If I don’t get the title shot, yeah, I [would be] devastated,” said Hendricks. “I think I would have to step back and rethink what I should do in my career.”

UFC 207's Neil Magny says past mistakes have him prepared for ex-champ Johny Hendricks

DENVER – Neil Magny has been in a position to need to rebound before, and he came through with flying colors. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Johnny Hendricks Goes to His Native Roots Ahead of UFC 207 (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

A product of Oklahoma, former welterweight champ Johny Hendricks has a very diverse background. Spend the day with Hendricks and learn more about his roots. read news >>

Knockout Radio LIVE: Johny Hendricks, Justin Gaethje, Ray Sefo, and UFC 207 | MMAWeekly.com

Tune in Wednesday, Dec. 28, at 4 pm ET, for Knockout Radio LIVE! with guests Johny Hendricks, Justin Gaethje, and Ray Sefo, , as well as a UFC 207 preview. read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Johny Hendricks & Tim Means

Johny Hendricks joins the show to discuss his UFC 207 bout against Neil Magny, a possible trilogy fight with Robbie Lawler and more. Later, Tim Means calls in to talk about his UFC Fight Pass bout ag read news >>

Ronda Rousey Makes Quick Work of Early Weigh-in (UFC 207 Weigh-in Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey blew in like storm and left the same way following a brief appearance at Thursday's UFC 207 early morning weigh-in. read news >>

Knockout Radio Podcast: Johny Hendricks, Justin Gaethje, Ray Sefo, and UFC 207 | MMAWeekly.com

Join Knockout Radio for their Dec. 28 podcast as Randy Harris and the crew talk with Johny Hendricks, Justin Gaethje, and Ray Sefo, as well as preview UFC 207. read news >>

UFC 207 results: Crowd doesn't like it, but Neil Magny survives takedowns to top Johny Hendricks

LAS VEGAS – Johny Hendricks might have won in the wrestling department, but Magny’s work off his back won the fight. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Neil Magny Sends Johny Hendricks Packing at Welterweight (UFC 207 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Neil Magny prevailed in what was likely Johny Hendricks’ final fight at welterweight at UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey on Friday night in Las Vegas. read news >>

Neil Magny's Controversial Decision Over Johnny Hendricks (UFC 207 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Neil Magny and former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks fought to a split decision at UFC 207 on Friday. Check out the fight highlights. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey, Amanda Nunes After UFC 207

UFC boss Dana White insisted Ronda Rousey has been left “devastated” after her brutal defeat against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in Las Vegas. Making her long-awaited return to the Octagon, Rousey was pu read news >>