By all accounts, Johny Hendricks is now next in line to challenge UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Hendricks emerged victorious in a hard-fought co-main event at UFC 158, taking a unanimous decision from Carlos Condit at Bell Centre in Montreal. Hendricks and Condit were awarded “Fight of the Night” for their bout, which immediately preceded the show’s headlining attraction between St. Pierre and challenger Nick Diaz.

Hendricks took it to the former interim champion from the get-go, pursuing “The Natural Born Killer” with hard left hooks and double-leg takedowns. Despite Hendricks’ pressure, Condit did not wilt, instead fighting to return to his feet each time “Bigg Rigg” planted him on the canvas.

“I knew Carlos was going to be a tough dude. I knew I had to win, but I also knew I wanted to come in here and steal it from GSP and Nick Diaz, and I think we did that,” Hendricks told Fox Sports after his win. “I knew it was going to be a tough fight for me, and I knew it was going to be a test. I’ve never really been pushed like that. Even when I took him down, I thought I did very [well] in his guard. I know he’s got a tough guard, so that gave me even more confidence as the fight went on.”

After the first round, Hendricks was forced to deal with an additional concern, as his power hand was suddenly injured during a takedown to close out the opening frame.

“I think I might have fractured my knuckle,” Hendricks said. “When I took him down in that last 10 seconds, I flared his legs, and they went right into the cage. My finger just went straight down the cage. It was just a freak accident.”

Hendricks continued to throw his powerful left in the second and third rounds, though the fighter admitted that the effect of those punches was diminished. Unlike so many of Hendricks’ previous foes, Condit managed to absorb the shots and keep his wits, even rallying in the third round to place the hard-hitting southpaw on the defensive.

“I wasn’t hitting him that hard. I was scared that I might hurt myself throwing [my left] hard,” said Hendricks. “Nobody has ever [knocked out] Carlos Condit, and now I know why. That’s what I was expecting. I knew I had to go in there and prepare for a 15-minute war, and it was exactly what I thought it was going to be.”

With his place as No. 1 welterweight contender now secure, Hendricks is next expected to lock horns with St. Pierre after winning 10 of his first 11 UFC bouts and besting the likes of Martin Kampmann, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch and Condit.

“If I don’t get the title shot, yeah, I [would be] devastated,” said Hendricks. “I think I would have to step back and rethink what I should do in my career.”

Injury Forces Michael Chiesa Out of UFC South Dakota Main Event

An injury has forced Michael Chiesa out of his UFC Fight Night 91 headlining bout opposite Tony Ferguson. read news >>

UFC 200 Primer: Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC 200 is an extraordinarily deep fight card featuring two upper-echelon welterweights as a preliminary contest. Johny Hendricks (17-4), ranked No. 6 according to Bleacher Report, takes on Kelvin Ga read news >>

Injury to Linton Vassell Causes Bellator 158 Main Card Shift

An injury to Linton Vassell has derailed his summer plans of competing in front of his fellow Englishmen against Francis Carmont at Bellator 158: London. read news >>

Cain Velasquez Talks Training Differently to Avoid Injury (UFC 200 Video)

Cain Velasquez fields questions from the press before his upcoming UFC 200 fight against Travis Browne at Wednesday's pre-fight press conference. read news >>

UFC 200 Weigh-in Results: Miesha Tate Averts Missing Cut-Off; Johny Hendricks Misses Weight

Though she pushed the time limit to the wire, bantamweight champ Miesha Tate made weight for UFC 200. Johny Hendricks did not. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Withdraws from Fight with Wilson Reis at UFC 201 with Injury

Demetrious Johnson has reportedly been forced to withdraw from his title fight against Wilson Reis at UFC 201 due to an injury, according to MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani. The two were scheduled to co read news >>

Injury Removes Demetrious Johnson vs. Wilson Reis from UFC 201

An undisclosed injury to Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson has forced his next title defense off of the UFC 201 fight card. read news >>

Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Johny Hendricks and Kelvin Gastelum were both staring down the worst possible question that can be raised about an athlete: "How good could they have been?" Hendricks became an overnight sensation wh read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Kelvin Gastelum Takes the Win Over Fading Johny Hendricks

Watch highlights as Kelvin Gastelum takes the win over a fading Johny Hendricks at UFC 200 in Las Vegas. read news >>

Cyborg Santos Injury: Updates on MMA Fighter's Head and Recovery

Cristiane Justino, ex-wife of Evangelista Santos, revealed the 38-year-old mixed martial arts fighter suffered a gruesome head injury in his defeat Saturday to Michael Page at Bellator 158. Justino p read news >>