Johny Hendricks got the job done Saturday night, but not without overcoming a bit of adversity.

Following his hard-fought split decision victory over Josh Koscheck in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 3, Hendricks revealed that he fought off two illnesses leading up to the contest at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

“I guess I had God on my side. I had a tough training camp. These last two weeks, I was battling some mean stuff, but my coaches kept me positive,” Hendricks told Fox Sports after his win. “I had bronchitis, and then mono -- two great ones to have three weeks before the fight, right?”

Despite taking ill, Hendricks said he never seriously considered pulling out of the fight. Though he would walk away with a razor-thin judges’ decision, Hendricks did not have an easy night, first receiving an accidental eye poke and then absorbing a barrage of punches in the first round.

“I did get poked in the eye and was seeing double,” Hendricks said. “I had to close one of my eyes to see where he was at, but that’s fighting. I just stayed strong and stayed focused on what I needed to do.”

Hendricks battled back to close out round one and fought Koscheck tooth-and-nail for an additional 10 minutes. Koscheck managed to secure a takedown to close out the final frame, but Hendricks nonetheless received the split nod. The win marked the fourth consecutive win for the two-time NCAA Division I wrestling champion, who bested Koscheck’s longtime American Kickboxing Academy teammate Jon Fitch in December.

“Both [Koscheck and Fitch] are tough fighters,” said Hendricks. “I feel blessed to be in same Octagon as them. Now I just have to go home and be prepared for a title shot. I fought hard tonight and got my hand raised.”

The defeat snapped a two-fight winning streak for Koscheck. Though disappointed in the result, the former welterweight title challenger did not bemoan the judges’ verdict post-fight.

“I’m not one to ever bitch about decisions,” said Koscheck. “I thought I won the first and third [rounds], but apparently the judges saw it differently. It was a good fight, and I felt like I ended the fight on top. It is what it is, and I live to fight another day.”

The victory now secure, Hendricks may look at future opportunities to move up the welterweight ladder. The Oklahoma State alumnus has won eight of his nine Octagon outings, with only a 2010 decision defeat to Rick Story marring his professional record. Though he could be on the verge of challenging for the 170-pound championship, Hendricks took a patient approach when discussing his next step.

“Whenever I heal up, we’ll talk and go from there. Right now, a lot of things are going through my mind,” said Hendricks. “I need to get away and go spend time with my family before I do anything. Right now all I want to do is go home and spend time with my wife.”

For UFC on Fox 19, the Real Intrigue Is on Fight Pass

It didn't exactly sweeten the UFC on Fox 19 pot when officials scrapped the co-main event on Wednesday. But it didn't sour the best part of the card, either. Please allow me to explain. The first thi read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 Video Highlights: Rose Namajunas vs. Tecia Torres

Watch highlights of Rose Namajunas' unanimous decision win over Tecia Torres from Saturday's UFC on FOX 19 co-main event in Tampa, Florda. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 Video: Dana White Backstage Interview

UFC president Dana White talks about the UFC on FOX 19 main event and co-main event bouts shortly after they happened backstage at the Amalie Arena in Tampa, Fla. on Saturday. read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 post-fight facts: Insane winning streak for Nurmagomedov stays alive

Saturday’s UFC on FOX 19 card was ravaged by injuries and fight changes. However, the FOX-televised card in Tampa, Fla., produced some eventful outcomes. Check out all the post-fight facts.Filed unde read news >>

UFC on Fox 19 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 197

UFC on Fox 19 is in the books. The results are as follows (c/o Craig Amos, PBP Man in Chief): UFC on Fox 19 Main Card Glover Teixeira def. Rashad Evans, knockout (Round 1, 1:48) Rose Namajunas def. T read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Glover Teixeira and UFC on FOX 19's other winners?

With UFC on FOX 19 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the winning fighters.Filed under: Featured, Featu read news >>

UFC on Fox 19 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

The UFC returned to Tampa, Florida, for UFC on Fox 19 on Saturday with a night full of fun and excitement. In the main event, Glover Teixeira made quick work of former light heavyweight champion Rash read news >>

The 3 stars of 'UFC on FOX 19: Teixeira vs. Evans' in Tampa

The UFC plans to stage more than 40 events in 2016, and during that time, hundreds of fighters will enter and exit the octagon. While pre-fight hype is an enjoyable aspect of the sport, it’s ultimate read news >>

UFC on FOX 19 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

5 Takeaways from UFC on FOX 19: 155 Belongs to Khabib Nurmagomedov

UFC on FOX 19 showed us a few things and we listed them out for you here. read news >>