Johny Hendricks got the job done Saturday night, but not without overcoming a bit of adversity.

Following his hard-fought split decision victory over Josh Koscheck in the co-main event of UFC on Fox 3, Hendricks revealed that he fought off two illnesses leading up to the contest at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

“I guess I had God on my side. I had a tough training camp. These last two weeks, I was battling some mean stuff, but my coaches kept me positive,” Hendricks told Fox Sports after his win. “I had bronchitis, and then mono -- two great ones to have three weeks before the fight, right?”

Despite taking ill, Hendricks said he never seriously considered pulling out of the fight. Though he would walk away with a razor-thin judges’ decision, Hendricks did not have an easy night, first receiving an accidental eye poke and then absorbing a barrage of punches in the first round.

“I did get poked in the eye and was seeing double,” Hendricks said. “I had to close one of my eyes to see where he was at, but that’s fighting. I just stayed strong and stayed focused on what I needed to do.”

Hendricks battled back to close out round one and fought Koscheck tooth-and-nail for an additional 10 minutes. Koscheck managed to secure a takedown to close out the final frame, but Hendricks nonetheless received the split nod. The win marked the fourth consecutive win for the two-time NCAA Division I wrestling champion, who bested Koscheck’s longtime American Kickboxing Academy teammate Jon Fitch in December.

“Both [Koscheck and Fitch] are tough fighters,” said Hendricks. “I feel blessed to be in same Octagon as them. Now I just have to go home and be prepared for a title shot. I fought hard tonight and got my hand raised.”

The defeat snapped a two-fight winning streak for Koscheck. Though disappointed in the result, the former welterweight title challenger did not bemoan the judges’ verdict post-fight.

“I’m not one to ever bitch about decisions,” said Koscheck. “I thought I won the first and third [rounds], but apparently the judges saw it differently. It was a good fight, and I felt like I ended the fight on top. It is what it is, and I live to fight another day.”

The victory now secure, Hendricks may look at future opportunities to move up the welterweight ladder. The Oklahoma State alumnus has won eight of his nine Octagon outings, with only a 2010 decision defeat to Rick Story marring his professional record. Though he could be on the verge of challenging for the 170-pound championship, Hendricks took a patient approach when discussing his next step.

“Whenever I heal up, we’ll talk and go from there. Right now, a lot of things are going through my mind,” said Hendricks. “I need to get away and go spend time with my family before I do anything. Right now all I want to do is go home and spend time with my wife.”

Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC on Fox 20 has a lightweight co-main event that fans will be standing to watch. The human highlight reel that is Edson Barboza (17-4) takes on the returning Gilbert Melendez (22-5) in Chicago. Bar read news >>

Roy Nelson: ‘Derrick Lewis is the Black Fedor’ (Full Scrum Video)

Heading into his UFC Fight Night 90 "black panty night" co-main event, Roy Nelson calls his opponent, knockout artist Derrick Lewis, the Black Fedor. read news >>

UFC 200 Weigh-in Results: Miesha Tate Averts Missing Cut-Off; Johny Hendricks Misses Weight

Though she pushed the time limit to the wire, bantamweight champ Miesha Tate made weight for UFC 200. Johny Hendricks did not. read news >>

Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Johny Hendricks and Kelvin Gastelum were both staring down the worst possible question that can be raised about an athlete: "How good could they have been?" Hendricks became an overnight sensation wh read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Kelvin Gastelum Takes the Win Over Fading Johny Hendricks

Watch highlights as Kelvin Gastelum takes the win over a fading Johny Hendricks at UFC 200 in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Brock Lesnar Gets the Job Done Against Mark Hunt

Former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar returned to the Octagon at UFC 200 on Saturday, taking on Mark Hunt in the UFC 200 co-main event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 20

UFC Fight Night 91 is in the books. The results are as follows (h/t Bleacher Report's very own Craig Amos): Fight Night 91 Main Card on Fox Sports 1 John Lineker def. Michael McDonald, knockout (Roun read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC on Fox 20

Douglas Lima Looking to Finish Paul Daley in Bellator 158 Main Event

Douglas Lima stepped in for an injured Josh Koscheck to face Paul Daley in the Bellator 158 main event and plans on finishing the Englishman in London. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Road to the Octagon: Felice Herrig vs. Kailin Curran

Go inside the lives and training camps of strawweights Felice Herrig and Kailin Curran as they prepare to battle in a pivotal bout for both contenders. read news >>