It looks like the UFC wants to match welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre against Nick Diaz next, but Johny Hendricks believes he should get the shot.

Hendricks has won five straight, including knockouts of Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann. On Thursday, though, UFC President Dana White said St. Pierre would like to fight Diaz next.

“If he’d have beat [Carlos] Condit, he would have been fighting GSP at that time and you’ve also got to think, Nick Diaz did have a chance to fight GSP a year and a half ago. He didn’t show up to his press conference,” Hendricks told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show prior to White’s comments on Diaz likely getting the next shot. “He’s had two shots to get GSP. All I’m asking is for one. That’s all that I’m asking for, and the thing is, the more that [St. Pierre’s camp] is talking about these other people and not wanting to fight me, it’s just giving me more and more confidence.”

Diaz did miss a press conference in September 2011 and was pulled from a title shot against St. Pierre. He could have also earned a crack at the champion by beating Condit this past February, but he lost the bout via unanimous decision. After that loss he tested positive for marijuana metabolites, and the Nevada Athletic Commission suspended him for a year.

“If he gets to take it after a year layoff and a loss, then it is what it is,” Hendricks said of Diaz getting the opportunity to fight St. Pierre. “You know what I mean? Enough being said, right? Here I’ve been in the last year, I’ve fought three guys in the top five and I’ve beat them all.”

Diaz has been an outspoken critic of St. Pierre, who in return hasn’t hid his dislike for the potential challenger. Hendricks doesn’t think that alone warrants a title fight, though.

“I can be the first one that can beat GSP,” he said. “I don’t think you have to sit there and talk trash. I don’t think I should have to. That’s why I like this sport, is that it’s not about who can talk the most trash. It’s how good your performances are, right? That’s what I really do like about this sport. You’re only as good as your last fight, and nothing else matters. Of course you do have to ask for the fights, and that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve been asking since Josh Koscheck. I want a shot at GSP. Nothing else matters but that right there because he has the belt.”

If Hendricks gets passed over for Diaz, he seems willing to wait for the following title shot rather than fight again in the meantime.

“You can only hope for it, and there’s only so much that I can do to get a title shot,” Hendricks said. “I don’t want to be one of those people that has to be a jerk or whatever to somebody to get it. If they bypass me, guess what? I can wait. I got better in three months. I felt like I have improved a little bit on my striking and I improved a lot on my jiu-jitsu just in three months. If I have more time to wait, then guess what? I’m going to try to get that much better.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 29:46).

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC president talks about Johny Hendricks missing weight at UFC 192, downplays Tyron Woodley's title chances

  • 10 days ago

By now everybody has heard about the disastrous weight-cutting problems of former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks, which forced him from the co-main event of UFC 192 tonight (Sat., Oct. 3, read news >>

MMA community reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, five-year suspension

  • 28 days ago

Nick Diaz received a five-year suspended and $165,000 fine for failed drug tests around his UFC 183 bout with Anderson Silva. The outrage to Diaz’s punishment was united throughout the MMA community. read news >>

Nick Diaz Escapes Lifetime Ban, Handed Five-Year Suspension Over Positive Pot Result

  • 28 days ago

Narrowly escaping a lifetime ban, we still may have seen the last of Nick Diaz in the Octagon, after he was handed a five-year suspension for a positive drug test. read news >>

Nick Diaz Suspended 5 Years for Failed Drug Tests: Latest Details and Reaction

  • 28 days ago

UFC fighter Nick Diaz has been fined $165,000 and suspended for five years by the Nevada State Athletic Commission because of multiple failed drug tests. USA Today's John Morgan reported the news Mon read news >>

Open Letter to the NSAC concerning the hearing of Nick Diaz

  • 28 days ago

Connor Ruebusch of Bloody Elbow pens an open letter to the heads of the Commission that suspended UFC fighter Nick Diaz for a failed test for marijuana. To Whom It May Concern, I followed Nick Diaz's read news >>

NSAC suspends Nick Diaz five years, $165k fine

  • 28 days ago

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today handed down its harshest punishment on a fighter to date, suspending Nick Diaz for five years following his positive UFC 183 marijuana test.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Pro fighters react to Nick Diaz's suspension by the NAC

  • 28 days ago

The NAC's five-year suspension of Nick Diaz surprised the MMA world. Check out their reaction below. 5years for smoking a natural plant.. Then all the juice heads get a slap on the wrist. #seriousbro read news >>

VIDEO: Nick Diaz Pleads 5th Amendment Over UFC 183 Drug Test Positive for Marijuana

  • 28 days ago

UFC fighter Nick Diaz went before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday to address positive drug test results for marijuana metabolites at UFC 183. read news >>

Nick Diaz suspended five years for failed UFC 183 drug test

  • 28 days ago

In a shocking decision, the Nevada Athletic Commission voted Monday to place Nick Diaz on a five-year suspension for a failed UFC 183 drug test for marijuana metabolites. The verdict was passed unani read news >>

Nick Diaz fined $165,000, suspended five years by NSAC for UFC 183 positive drug test

  • 28 days ago

Team Diaz, however, is likely to appeal. Might wanna pump the brakes on that Anderson Silva rematch. Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) summoned Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight read news >>