Johny Hendricks didn’t get the matchup he wanted, but he will have a fight on his hands March 16 when he meets Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158.

“It sucks, but it is what it is,” Hendricks told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Wednesday.

Hendricks wanted a shot against welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. The same night he’ll be fighting Ellenberger, though, GSP will be defending his title against Nick Diaz.

“I’ve done my campaigning,” Hendricks said. “I’ve done all I can do, and now that you have Jake Ellenberger in front of you, you can’t keep dwelling on the past. Right now if I don’t focus on Jake Ellenberger, then he could go out there and beat me just because you’re focused on something totally different. You’ve got to know Jake Ellenberger is a tough fight. It sucks that you do all this work and you’re not there, but guess what? It’s not the end of the world. I’m still able to fight. If I win this one, then I know I’ll be right where I was.”

But if he loses, Hendricks could slide down the welterweight ladder. This close to a title shot, it’s not a drop he wants to make.

“[Ellenberger] has shown that he can knock people out, and whenever you have that kind of power, you have to respect it,” Hendricks said. “You have to know, ‘OK, this guy is a heavy-handed guy.’ … That’s what makes fighting people like that a little bit more of a challenge, a fun challenge, because no matter what happens -- it might be the second or third round -- you still have to worry about everything. It makes it that much more exciting.”

Hendricks will have plenty of time to prepare for his March date with Ellenberger, but he had actually already been training for St. Pierre.

“We watched footage every day,” he said. “We were training stuff every day for about a week and a half before the news came out. I was excited. I thought I was going to have to compete against Anderson Silva to fight [St. Pierre]. That’s a tough person to compete against, and here it is somebody in my division that beat me to it. It is what it is.”

It’s another obstacle, but Hendricks is resolving himself to the task ahead. He considers Ellenberger just as difficult an opponent as St. Pierre and a “little bit more dangerous.”

“[With] Georges St. Pierre you don’t have to worry about knockout punches,” Hendricks said. “You’ve just got to worry about getting taken down. [With] Ellenberger, you’ve got to worry about the punch and also his takedowns. I’ve fought a couple of guys just like that, so I think I’m prepared.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 59:55).

UFC 201 Results: Underdog Jake Ellenberger Stops Matt Brown in the First

Jake Ellenberger picked up a big win on Saturday, stopping Matt Brown in the first round of their fight at UFC 201 in Atlanta. read news >>

Matt Brown vs. Jake Ellenberger: Results and Reaction from UFC 201

Wow. Anyone else need a cigarette after that? No one would blame you if you did. Welterweight action fighters Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger brought some thunder to Atlanta at UFC 201, with Ellenber read news >>

UFC 201 Fighter Bonuses: Jake Ellenberger, Other Main Carders, Take Top Honors

Jake Ellenberger led the charge as the top three fights at UFC 201 scooped up the $50,000 post-fight bonuses. read news >>

UFC 201 Fight Highlights: Jake Ellenberger Makes Quick Work of Matt Brown

Check out the UFC 201 fight highlights from the bout between Matt Brown and Jake Ellenberger. read news >>

Bellator 160 Adds Female Flyweight Bout to Main Card

A flyweight matchup pitting Lena Ovchynnikova against Jaimelene Nievera has been added to the main card of Bellator 160: Henderson vs. Pitbull. read news >>

UFC Welterweight Class: Hot Mess or Hotter Than Ever After Woodley's Title Win?

It didn’t take the MMA world long to get comfortable with Robbie Lawler as UFC welterweight champion. Any initial doubts about the future of the 170-pound division without Georges St-Pierre quickly s read news >>

GSP vs. Ronda Rousey: Who Are We More Likely to See Back in the UFC First?

On November 16, 2013 the UFC’s biggest star left with his hand raised. Georges St-Pierre, battered at the end of a fight with Johny Hendricks that many felt he lost, left UFC 167 on a split decision read news >>

GSP Joins USADA Testing Pool, 'To Be Eligible to Fight You Need to Be Tested'

The return of Georges St-Pierre is inching closer to reality with each passing day. He is ready to take the next step. In an interview with Ram Gilboa for Bloody Elbow, GSP let it be known that he is read news >>

GSP Joins USADA Testing Pool, 'To Be Eligible to Fight You Need to Be Tested'

GSP vs. Ronda Rousey: Who Are We More Likely to See Back in the UFC First?