Johny Hendricks vs Jon Fitch at UFC 141Some fighters fight for the money. Some fighters fight for the fame. For others, it is about the competition.

Johny Hendricks fights for his family.

Sacrificing family time for work is something most Americans have to deal with and fighters are no exception. It’s the most difficult part of the job for the 28-year-old husband and father.

“I mean I can fight for my honor, I can fight for this, but fighting for my family is the most important thing and making sure they get what they want. That’s all that matters,” said Hendricks.

Hendricks faces Josh Koscheck on Saturday night on the UFC on Fox 3 card. Both fighters are ranked in the top 5 of the welterweight division and Hendricks knows what a win over Koscheck will do for his career.

“He’s a tough opponent. You don’t stay number two or number three in the world for as many years as he’s been without being a tough fighter and that’s why I got into the division is to see if I have what it takes to compete with these guys,” Hendricks recently said.

“And that’s what makes it so exciting is every fight you don’t know what’s going to happen. All you can do is train your best and prepare your best and go out there and put on a good one and get your hand raised.”

Hendricks is coming off a knockout win over Koscheck’s friend and training partner Jon Fitch. The never-short-on-words Koscheck has made unflattering comments leading up to their showdown, but Hendricks doesn’t take any of them personal.

“No I don’t take anything personal. I’ll be the first one to tell you I am fat. I love McDonald’s, I love Taco Bell. But whenever it comes fight time, I’m always ready. So no, I’ve got 12 guys who I work out with every day that say worse things to me. That’s just the nature of the beast and that’s what sells fights,” said Hendricks.

When two high-level wrestlers are matched up against each other, the fight often times plays out as a striking battle. Hendricks predicts the fight on May 5 will unfold everywhere.

“I think this fight’s actually pretty even because we’re both complete fighters. We both like to hit people in the face, but I believe that it’s going to be a little bit of everywhere because the later you go in the rounds the easier it is to get take downs and stuff like that,” he said.

“So I think you’re going to see that. You’re not going to see just another boring wrestling match. I think it’s going to be e a fun one for everybody to watch. So I can’t wait.”

Follow @JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff Cain.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC 200 Primer: Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC 200 is an extraordinarily deep fight card featuring two upper-echelon welterweights as a preliminary contest. Johny Hendricks (17-4), ranked No. 6 according to Bleacher Report, takes on Kelvin Ga read news >>

On The Rise: UFC International Fight Week Edition

Amidst the sea of big names and marquee fights set to take place in Las Vegas stands a quartet of up-and-coming fighters looking to make a name for themselves between Thursday evening and Sunday morn read news >>

The 10: The Best of the Best from the Best Month in UFC History

Take a look at the 10 best fights from one of the best fight months in UFC history. This is The 10 for July. read news >>

Reasons to watch Fight Night Las Vegas/Ultimate Fighter Finale

Two title fights before UFC 200 even begins? Yeah, we have a few reasons to watch Fight Night: Dos Anjos vs Alvarez and The Ultimate Fighter Finale featuring the strawweight title fight between Joann read news >>

VIDEO: Ross Pearson Calls Will Brooks a Zero, Wants Fights with Conor McGregor and Rafael dos Anjos

After his fight with Will Brooks, Ross Pearson would like to move on to bigger and better fights, including the likes of Conor McGregor, Rafael dos Anjos, and Cowboy Cerrone. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 23: Ep. 12 Preview

It all comes down to this, the final two semifinal fights to determine the finalists for this season of The Ultimate Fighter in the light heavyweight and women's strawweight divisions. Don't miss the read news >>

UFC 200 Embedded, Episode 4: Magic Tricks, Fine-Tuning and Family Time

During episode 4 of UFC 200 Embedded, Mark Hunt figures out there's no such thing as magic, while Jon Jones and Miesha Tate stay busy in the gym. read news >>

UFC 200 Weigh-in Results: Miesha Tate Averts Missing Cut-Off; Johny Hendricks Misses Weight

Though she pushed the time limit to the wire, bantamweight champ Miesha Tate made weight for UFC 200. Johny Hendricks did not. read news >>

Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Johny Hendricks and Kelvin Gastelum were both staring down the worst possible question that can be raised about an athlete: "How good could they have been?" Hendricks became an overnight sensation wh read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Kelvin Gastelum Takes the Win Over Fading Johny Hendricks

Watch highlights as Kelvin Gastelum takes the win over a fading Johny Hendricks at UFC 200 in Las Vegas. read news >>