Johny Hendricks: Added Weight Won't Help Georges St-Pierre in Rematch

Rumor has it that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent some of his time away from the cage adding some extra muscle.

St-Pierre first got the rumor-mill going when he posted this photo, captioned "Working on putting on some muscle mass," onto his Instagram profile:

MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani later confirmed on Twitter.

It turns out that current UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks doesn’t care—there’s no way he sees himself losing to St-Pierre, 200 pounds or not, for a second time.

He told MMA Fight Corner (via MMAFighting):

“I’ve heard GSP’s been watching my fights. Re-watching stuff because he’s going to have to put himself in more danger to hurt me, to mess up my game. That puts him in trouble. He’s been able to get away with so much because he’s been able to out-wrestle people. He can’t out-wrestle me. He can’t out-strength me. No matter how much weight he puts on. I think he’s at 201 pounds right now. They said he’s beefing up because he felt weak against me. He’s going to feel weak, even if he’s at 201.”

Who wins in a potential rematch?

While Hendricks is cognitive of the fact he didn’t see his hand raised in his bout with St-Pierre back at UFC 167 in November, he feels that the way he fought against St-Pierre warranted a new champion.

“There’s a sense of me that I sort of felt like Robbie Lawler was my title defense because of the Georges St-Pierre fight,” Hendricks said of his victory over Lawler for the vacant UFC welterweight title. “That’s the way I’m looking at it. It’s not technically my title defense but I’ve got the same mindset.”

Hendricks is currently on the mend from a torn bicep he suffered before his title fight with Lawler. He won the title, but not at full strength —part of him wonders what could have been had he been closer to 100 percent at UFC 171.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’ll throw with whoever’s the No. 1 contender. I’ll fight them. I’m not going to run away from that, but there’s a part of me that wants to see how I can do against Robbie Lawler, healthy. Then again, there’s part of me that wants to sort of train for Matt Brown or Rory MacDonald or whoever else is out there.”

Kristian Ibarra is a Featured Columnist at Bleacher Report. He also serves as the sports editor at San Diego State University's student-run newspaper, The Daily Aztec. Follow him on Twitter at @Kristian_Ibarra for all things MMA.

From Around the Web

Photos: Despite steakhouse, Johny Hendricks' weight looks great for UFC 185

Opening a steakhouse after some past weight-cutting issues would seem a recipe for disaster. Former UFC welterweight champ Johny Hendricks, though, is making it work.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Johny Hendricks thinks questions about his weight are 'perfectly great'

DALLAS – Johny Hendricks can’t escape questions about his weight days ahead of his UFC 185 bout with Matt Brown.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Rousey vs. Zingano Results: Winner, Recap and Reaction from UFC 184

Cat Zingano can now be added to the expanding list of women who have tried and failed to best Ronda Rousey in the Octagon. Rowdy dispatched of her latest contender via first-round submission in the m read news >>

Josh Burkman vs. Dong Hyun Kim added to May's blockbuster UFC 187 event

A stacked UFC 187 lineup continues to fill with quality matchups, as UFC officials today announced the addition of Josh Burkman vs. Dong Hyun Kim to the card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Gegard Mousasi and Neil Magny Headed to UFC Manila | MMAWeekly.com

Company officials added two new marquee match-ups to the upcoming UFC Manila fight card with bouts featuring Gegard Mousasi and Neil Magny. read news >>

Gegard Mousasi vs. Costas Philippou, Neil Magny vs. Hyun Kyu Lim added to UFC Manila

UFC Manila has a co-main event. Middleweight contenders Gegard Mousasi and Costas Philippou will meet in the co-headliner of UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Faber on May 16 in the Philippines, the UFC ann read news >>

Gegard Mousasi vs. Costas Philippou among two bouts added to UFC: Manila

Two main card bouts have been added to UFC: Manila, including the co-headliner between Gegard Mousasi and Costas Philippou "Breakfast with UFC", as Dana White referred to the upcoming show in Manila, read news >>

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Josh Burkman added to UFC 187

UFC 187 receives another great fight, as South Korean welterweight contender Dong Hyun Kim faces Josh Burkman in Las Vegas on May 23rd. Another fight is now official for the UFC's spectacular-looking read news >>

Derrick Lewis vs. Shawn Jordan, Brian Ebersole vs. Alan Jouban added to UFC Fight Night 68

The UFC’s return to New Orleans will feature a few more native Louisianans, with heavyweight Derrick Lewis vs. Shawn Jordan and welterweights Brian Ebersole vs. Alan Jouban.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>