Johny Hendricks: Added Weight Won't Help Georges St-Pierre in Rematch

Rumor has it that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent some of his time away from the cage adding some extra muscle.

St-Pierre first got the rumor-mill going when he posted this photo, captioned "Working on putting on some muscle mass," onto his Instagram profile:

MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani later confirmed on Twitter.

It turns out that current UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks doesn’t care—there’s no way he sees himself losing to St-Pierre, 200 pounds or not, for a second time.

He told MMA Fight Corner (via MMAFighting):

“I’ve heard GSP’s been watching my fights. Re-watching stuff because he’s going to have to put himself in more danger to hurt me, to mess up my game. That puts him in trouble. He’s been able to get away with so much because he’s been able to out-wrestle people. He can’t out-wrestle me. He can’t out-strength me. No matter how much weight he puts on. I think he’s at 201 pounds right now. They said he’s beefing up because he felt weak against me. He’s going to feel weak, even if he’s at 201.”

Who wins in a potential rematch?

While Hendricks is cognitive of the fact he didn’t see his hand raised in his bout with St-Pierre back at UFC 167 in November, he feels that the way he fought against St-Pierre warranted a new champion.

“There’s a sense of me that I sort of felt like Robbie Lawler was my title defense because of the Georges St-Pierre fight,” Hendricks said of his victory over Lawler for the vacant UFC welterweight title. “That’s the way I’m looking at it. It’s not technically my title defense but I’ve got the same mindset.”

Hendricks is currently on the mend from a torn bicep he suffered before his title fight with Lawler. He won the title, but not at full strength —part of him wonders what could have been had he been closer to 100 percent at UFC 171.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’ll throw with whoever’s the No. 1 contender. I’ll fight them. I’m not going to run away from that, but there’s a part of me that wants to see how I can do against Robbie Lawler, healthy. Then again, there’s part of me that wants to sort of train for Matt Brown or Rory MacDonald or whoever else is out there.”

Kristian Ibarra is a Featured Columnist at Bleacher Report. He also serves as the sports editor at San Diego State University's student-run newspaper, The Daily Aztec. Follow him on Twitter at @Kristian_Ibarra for all things MMA.

UFC 189 Scrum Video: Conor McGregor addresses weight issues

Watch the full UFC 189 media scrum with Conor McGregor. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Makes Weight at Invicta FC 13, Drop to 135 Remains Possible

Cris “Cyborg” Justino officially made weight on Wednesday evening for her title defense against Faith van Duin. Cyborg is the Invicta FC featherweight champion, but that is not what people are intere read news >>

Conor McGregor on Chael Sonnen weight cut comments: 'Don't believe everything you hear'

LAS VEGAS -- Chael Sonnen whipped the MMA community into frenzy -- which he is known to do -- when he said on Jim Rome last week that Conor McGregor had to cut almost 30 pounds in eight days to make read news >>

UFC 189's Conor McGregor dismisses looming brutal weight cut, wants to one day own UFC

"Notorious" also clears up rumors about a proposed $3 million wager he offered up to Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta. For those on edge waiting to see if Conor McGregor will have a scale fail after C read news >>

Conor McGregor UFC 189 scrum

LAS VEGAS -- Conor McGregor discusses his weight cut, his possible bet with Dana White, Sinead O'Connor singing his walkout song, and much more. read news >>

UFC bans IV use for fighters cutting weight

The UFC, as part of their new USADA drug testing program is making moves to ban IV use for re-hydration after weight cutting. The move is set to go in effect on October 1st. The Three Amigos Podcast read news >>

Cris Cyborg Invicta FC 13 media day scrum

LAS VEGAS -- Cris Cyborg discusses her weight, her upcoming fight, Bethe Correia vs. Ronda Rousey, and more during Invicta FC 13 media day Tuesday. read news >>

Comparing the UFC's Welterweight and Featherweight Divisions

The UFC's welterweight and featherweight divisions are two of the most promising weight classes in all of MMA. Both divisions will showcase respective title fights this weekend at UFC 189, as Conor M read news >>

With weight cut all figured out, Mike de la Torre looking to fulfill promise as prospect

Mike de la Torre had no idea how to cut weight when he first entered the UFC. He didn't know what to eat. He didn't know how to water load. De la Torre was an admitted novice at all of those things. read news >>

Flyweight Ray Borg meets newcomer Geane Herrera at UFC Fight Night 73

A battle of flyweight prospects has been added to August’s UFC Fight Night 73, as Ray Borg takes on undefeated promotional newcomer Geane Herrera.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>