Johny Hendricks: Added Weight Won't Help Georges St-Pierre in Rematch

Rumor has it that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent some of his time away from the cage adding some extra muscle.

St-Pierre first got the rumor-mill going when he posted this photo, captioned "Working on putting on some muscle mass," onto his Instagram profile:

MMAfighting’s Ariel Helwani later confirmed on Twitter.

It turns out that current UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks doesn’t care—there’s no way he sees himself losing to St-Pierre, 200 pounds or not, for a second time.

He told MMA Fight Corner (via MMAFighting):

“I’ve heard GSP’s been watching my fights. Re-watching stuff because he’s going to have to put himself in more danger to hurt me, to mess up my game. That puts him in trouble. He’s been able to get away with so much because he’s been able to out-wrestle people. He can’t out-wrestle me. He can’t out-strength me. No matter how much weight he puts on. I think he’s at 201 pounds right now. They said he’s beefing up because he felt weak against me. He’s going to feel weak, even if he’s at 201.”

Who wins in a potential rematch?

While Hendricks is cognitive of the fact he didn’t see his hand raised in his bout with St-Pierre back at UFC 167 in November, he feels that the way he fought against St-Pierre warranted a new champion.

“There’s a sense of me that I sort of felt like Robbie Lawler was my title defense because of the Georges St-Pierre fight,” Hendricks said of his victory over Lawler for the vacant UFC welterweight title. “That’s the way I’m looking at it. It’s not technically my title defense but I’ve got the same mindset.”

Hendricks is currently on the mend from a torn bicep he suffered before his title fight with Lawler. He won the title, but not at full strength —part of him wonders what could have been had he been closer to 100 percent at UFC 171.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’ll throw with whoever’s the No. 1 contender. I’ll fight them. I’m not going to run away from that, but there’s a part of me that wants to see how I can do against Robbie Lawler, healthy. Then again, there’s part of me that wants to sort of train for Matt Brown or Rory MacDonald or whoever else is out there.”

Kristian Ibarra is a Featured Columnist at Bleacher Report. He also serves as the sports editor at San Diego State University's student-run newspaper, The Daily Aztec. Follow him on Twitter at @Kristian_Ibarra for all things MMA.

UFC 200 Weigh-in Results: Miesha Tate Averts Missing Cut-Off; Johny Hendricks Misses Weight

Though she pushed the time limit to the wire, bantamweight champ Miesha Tate made weight for UFC 200. Johny Hendricks did not. read news >>

UFC 200 Embedded, Episode 7 Video: A Vegas Wedding and Final Weight Cuts

On Episode 7 of UFC 200 Embedded, Mark Hunt's coach gets married on the Vegas strip, Frankie Edgar watches Eddie Alvarez win lightweight belt, Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes cut weight. read news >>

Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Johny Hendricks and Kelvin Gastelum were both staring down the worst possible question that can be raised about an athlete: "How good could they have been?" Hendricks became an overnight sensation wh read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Kelvin Gastelum Takes the Win Over Fading Johny Hendricks

Watch highlights as Kelvin Gastelum takes the win over a fading Johny Hendricks at UFC 200 in Las Vegas. read news >>

Cro Cop Comes Out of Retirement to Fight in RIZIN FF Open Weight Tournament

Former PRIDE and UFC heavyweight star Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic comes out of retirement to participate in the RIZEN FF Open Weight Gran Prix in September. read news >>

Jim Miller vs. Joe Lauzon Rematch Added to UFC on FOX 21

Jim Miller and Joe Lauzon are poised to fight at UFC on FOX 21 in a rematch of their epic battle that dates back to UFC 155, which closed out 2012. read news >>

Strawweight Felice Herrig Posts Weight-Cutting Selfie Before UFC on Fox 20

Weight-cutting is not a new concept in combat sports. But fight fans don't often get a behind-the-scenes look at the process—or the effects it can have on the body. Perhaps that's why a selfie from U read news >>

Atomweight Fight Between Mei Yamaguchui and Istela Nunes Added to ONE: Heroes of the World

After being outpointed by Angela Lee on her ONE Championship debut, Mei Yamaguchi returns to the cage in Macau next month. read news >>

Saad Awad vs. Derek Anderson Added to Bellator 160 Main Card

• 20 hours ago

A lightweight bout pitting Saad Awad against Derek Anderson has been added to the main card of the recently announced “Bellator 160: Henderson vs. Pitbull” event on August 26. read news >>

Cristiano Ronaldo latest to join the #MacLife

• a day ago

Cristiano Ronaldo and Conor McGregor met up and spent some time in the Octagon on Sunday. read news >>