It looks like Johny Hendricks (15-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and Georges St-Pierre (24-2 MMA, 18-2 UFC) agree on a timeframe for their meeting.

Hendricks on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he anticipates fighting St-Pierre in September, which falls in line with an update earlier today from the welterweight kingpin’s camp. St-Pierre’s manager dispelled reports of an extended layoff due to an Achilles tendon injury and said fans could expect to see “Rush” return to the cage in late summer or early fall. 

With ample time to prepare, Hendricks said he’ll focus on shoring up weaknesses that were exposed in his UFC 158 fight with Carlos Condit, which ended in a unanimous decision win. 

“I’ve got a lot of things to improve on, which is good to know,” Hendricks said. “What I’m going to do for the next month and a half is I’m going to work on exactly what I need to work on to get better.”

The good news, he said, is that no one is in front of him to fight the champ. St-Pierre removed a final obstacle by beating Nick Diaz in the headliner of the March 16 pay-per-view event at Montreal’s Bell Centre. Diaz stepped ahead of Hendricks despite losing a previous fight to Condit. 

Hendricks, who previously had beaten five straight opponents, staged a brief protest when the UFC installed Diaz and then accepted his fate. He then decided he would make it impossible for St-Pierre to evade him by beating the former interim champ.

“I just don’t see anybody else stepping in front of me, and that’s really what it boils down to,” Hendricks said. “That’s why a win over Condit has been so good, to know that this week I’m not getting a call or seeing on Twitter that somebody else is getting the fight. I know it’s me.”

Condit certainly didn’t make it easy. A late-fight surge pushed Hendricks to his limit and forced him to fall back on his wrestling skills. The crowd at the Bell Centre backed Condit and booed the decision.

Despite his win, Hendricks wasn’t so sure he’d convinced the UFC he was the next man in line to fight St-Pierre. So uncharacteristically, he offered a direct challenge to St-Pierre, saying he would come to the champ’s house to fight if his title opportunity was again denied.

“I knew that if I didn’t do something to make sure that I got that fight, if somebody overstepped me, I’d be devastated,” Hendricks said. “So throwing that out there, I thought it wasn’t over my boundaries, but it was still good enough to say, ‘Hey, this is what’s going to happen.’ So it’s in between the nice guy and over-the-top trash talk.”

Hendricks was calmed after the post-fight news conference when UFC President Dana White confirmed him as the next challenger. He felt happy to sit next to St-Pierre as a No. 1 contender.

Now, he returns to the gym to prove himself worthy of being the champion.

“We’ll throw some GSP things in there, but we’ll focus on what I did and what I need to improve on,” Hendricks said. “Then once it gets closer for sure the date, then we’ll focus on what I need to do, but also what he can do.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Johny Hendricks: 'I see myself as the No. 1 contender'

  • 13 days ago
  • 5 views

NEWARK -- Former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks talked to the media at UFC on FOX 15 about his recent win over Matt Brown, trying to put on a show for the fans, where he stands among the U read news >>

Johny Hendricks: 'You put on a show for the fans and you end up losing'

  • 14 days ago
  • 51 views

The former UFC champion reacts to the criticism of his last performance against Matt Brown. read news >>

Tyron Woodley on the Mend, Eyeing Bout with Johny Hendricks Upon Return

  • 14 days ago
  • 5 views

It's still going to be a bit before Tyron Woodley is back to fighting form, but he's already eyeing the matchup he wants when he returns to action inside the Octagon. "The Chosen One" is in the proce read news >>

Johny Hendricks no longer ‘as fat’ but still open to eventual move to middleweight

  • 15 days ago
  • 22 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks discusses his diet and his willingness to move to middleweight read news >>

Floyd Mayweather says he'll retire in September: 'I'm pretty much done', Boxing isn't fun anymore

  • 18 days ago
  • 27 views

Does Floyd Mayweather saying he doesn't enjoy boxing anymore affect anything about his upcoming bout against Manny Pacquiao? Floyd Mayweather will be getting the biggest payday of his career against read news >>

UFC 189: Tyron Woodley trying to pick a fight with Johny Hendricks on July 11

  • 25 days ago
  • 5 views

Is Tyron Woodley good enough to fight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight title? Certainly one way to find out. "The Chosen One" is hoping to pick a fight with former 170-pound read news >>

Johny Hendricks to GSP: 'Hey, Stay in Retirement'

  • 27 days ago
  • 14 views

Johny Hendricks isn’t losing sleep over Georges St-Pierre’s lingering decision of whether to return to the UFC. As far as Big Rigg is concerned, the chapter has closed on the St-Pierre era, and he is read news >>

Hendricks over GSP loss, tells the ex-champ to 'stay in retirement'

  • 27 days ago
  • 18 views

Heavy hitting welterweight slugger Johny Hendricks was featured as a guest on Sunday's edition of Submission Radio. Bigg Rigg analyzed his performance at UFC 167 against Georges St-Pierre and reveale read news >>

Benson Henderson, Jorge Masvidal agree via Twitter to fight at UFC 186

  • 27 days ago
  • 29 views

Benson Henderson found his huckleberry. The former UFC lightweight champion issued an open call to all comers on Tuesday, hoping to step in on two weeks' notice and help save a UFC 186 card which has read news >>