John Gunderson Ring of Fire 35Coming off a disappointing 2011 where he went 1-2, lightweight veteran John “Guns” Gunderson was more than happy to start off this year with a win over fellow former UFC fighter Justin Buchholz for the Superior Cage Combat 155-pound belt in February.

“It felt good to get that victory over a pretty tough opponent, win another belt and start the year off with a bang,” said Gunderson. “Justin is an extremely tough fighter with a lot of talent and there were a couple spots where he had me in trouble here and there, and I just kept fighting and dug deep.

“There’s been other times in other fights where I tried to dig deep and fight through it and my mind said yes, but my body said no. I was able to get through it (this time).”

Gunderson looks to repeat his success against a name opponent when he steps up to welterweight to take on Karo “The Heat” Parisyan at ShoFIGHT 20 this Saturday night in Springfield, Mo.

“In my opinion, Karo’s done more than most fighters will ever be able to accomplish or ever do,” Gunderson told MMAWeekly.com. “I have nothing but respect for the guy and what he’s done in the sport from when he was young until now.

“At this point and time in my career I want to fight those guys; the guys with names. I want tough fights. I want fights that mean something to me and later on look at myself in the mirror and be proud of.”

While Gunderson respects Parisyan, he feels that in nearly every aspect of MMA, he outshines his larger opponent.

“Karo’s obviously got world class judo, so there’s no way to prepare for someone’s judo like that, but I’m strong (in areas) too and I’m not green anywhere,” said Gunderson. “That’s something he’s going to have to deal with: my wrestling ability, my striking ability, my grappling ability, and my mental toughness.”

Speaking of mental toughness, Gunderson has heard speak of Parisyan’s erratic mental game in the past, but he’s not buying into it.

“He has broken in the past, but sitting there live when he fought Dong Hyung Kim – who had trained with us at Team Tompkins – he put Karo in all sorts of bad positions, but Karo showcased some real heart in that fight,” said Gunderson. “Whether or not it got overturned, Karo won that fight, and to go out there and beat a guy with Kim’s skills, I was impressed.

“I think he’s serious about this. He’s maybe only got one shot left, he needs to do it now, but unfortunately he’s got to go through me.”

While Gunderson feels his opponent may be up against it this weekend, he also acknowledges the twilight of his career may not be far off.

“I want to get a couple more fights in the UFC and finish my career there,” he said. “I’ve been fighting for so long – I’ve had fifty-some fights – I deserve that.

“I don’t feel I performed to my potential there, so if I had another chance there, I’d make the most of it. If it doesn’t happen, then it wasn’t meant to be; but if I can make it happen, that’d be awesome.”

For more MMA News and MMA Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Chael Sonnen Payback Would be a Great Way to End His Career | MMAWeekly.com

For Tito Ortiz, there is no better way to end his career than to exact payback upon Chael Sonnen. read news >>

Why Does BJ Penn Want to Return Now? | MMAWeekly.com

After seemingly ending his career, over the past two years, UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn has had time to reconsider. So, why come back now? read news >>

Would Luke Rockhold Pose Nude for His Modeling Career? | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has delved into modeling. Inside MMA talked to him about it, as well as his rematch with Jacare Souza and relationship with Demi Lovato. read news >>

After going to judges for entire UFC career, Michel Prazeres has knockout planned in Brazil

Like many fighters who get asked about a penchant to go to the judges’ scorecards, Michel Prazeres believes there’s good reason he hasn’t been able to finish the four fighters he has wins over in the read news >>