John Gunderson Ring of Fire 35Coming off a disappointing 2011 where he went 1-2, lightweight veteran John “Guns” Gunderson was more than happy to start off this year with a win over fellow former UFC fighter Justin Buchholz for the Superior Cage Combat 155-pound belt in February.

“It felt good to get that victory over a pretty tough opponent, win another belt and start the year off with a bang,” said Gunderson. “Justin is an extremely tough fighter with a lot of talent and there were a couple spots where he had me in trouble here and there, and I just kept fighting and dug deep.

“There’s been other times in other fights where I tried to dig deep and fight through it and my mind said yes, but my body said no. I was able to get through it (this time).”

Gunderson looks to repeat his success against a name opponent when he steps up to welterweight to take on Karo “The Heat” Parisyan at ShoFIGHT 20 this Saturday night in Springfield, Mo.

“In my opinion, Karo’s done more than most fighters will ever be able to accomplish or ever do,” Gunderson told MMAWeekly.com. “I have nothing but respect for the guy and what he’s done in the sport from when he was young until now.

“At this point and time in my career I want to fight those guys; the guys with names. I want tough fights. I want fights that mean something to me and later on look at myself in the mirror and be proud of.”

While Gunderson respects Parisyan, he feels that in nearly every aspect of MMA, he outshines his larger opponent.

“Karo’s obviously got world class judo, so there’s no way to prepare for someone’s judo like that, but I’m strong (in areas) too and I’m not green anywhere,” said Gunderson. “That’s something he’s going to have to deal with: my wrestling ability, my striking ability, my grappling ability, and my mental toughness.”

Speaking of mental toughness, Gunderson has heard speak of Parisyan’s erratic mental game in the past, but he’s not buying into it.

“He has broken in the past, but sitting there live when he fought Dong Hyung Kim – who had trained with us at Team Tompkins – he put Karo in all sorts of bad positions, but Karo showcased some real heart in that fight,” said Gunderson. “Whether or not it got overturned, Karo won that fight, and to go out there and beat a guy with Kim’s skills, I was impressed.

“I think he’s serious about this. He’s maybe only got one shot left, he needs to do it now, but unfortunately he’s got to go through me.”

While Gunderson feels his opponent may be up against it this weekend, he also acknowledges the twilight of his career may not be far off.

“I want to get a couple more fights in the UFC and finish my career there,” he said. “I’ve been fighting for so long – I’ve had fifty-some fights – I deserve that.

“I don’t feel I performed to my potential there, so if I had another chance there, I’d make the most of it. If it doesn’t happen, then it wasn’t meant to be; but if I can make it happen, that’d be awesome.”

For more MMA News and MMA Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Gold Couldn't Possibly Define Michael Bisping's Career

Imagine you work your whole life for a dream. To reach it, you have to compete against people taking shortcuts. Imagine those shortcuts lead them ahead of you. Imagine that dream falls away, likely n read news >>

With Bellator Contract on the Line, Bobby Brents Sees Right Through Shamrock FC Opponent

Bobby Brents isn't looking past Shamrock FC opponent Bubba Grant, but he sees right through him with an eye on a Bellator contract. read news >>

Julius Anglickas Building a Solid Career Heading into Next Shamrock FC Fight

Building off of an active amateur career, Julius Anglickas is on track heading into Saturday's Shamrock FC. read news >>

Bryan Caraway%26#x2019;s career blossoming after upsetting Aljamain Sterling (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Defeating the previously unbeaten No. 4-ranked bantamweight is nothing compared to the struggles Caraway has overcome in his personal life. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 Results: Jeremy Stephens Spoils Renan Barao’s Featherweight Debut

Jeremy Stephens scored the biggest win of his career on Sunday night, spoiling former bantamweight champion Rena Barao's arrival at 145 pounds. read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

‘Kimbo Slice’ Wanted to Be Remembered as a Family Man and as a Fighter Who Evolved

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson started his fighting career as a street fighter with heavy hands made famous by Youtube videos of his backyard brawls. read news >>