John Gunderson Ring of Fire 35Coming off a disappointing 2011 where he went 1-2, lightweight veteran John “Guns” Gunderson was more than happy to start off this year with a win over fellow former UFC fighter Justin Buchholz for the Superior Cage Combat 155-pound belt in February.

“It felt good to get that victory over a pretty tough opponent, win another belt and start the year off with a bang,” said Gunderson. “Justin is an extremely tough fighter with a lot of talent and there were a couple spots where he had me in trouble here and there, and I just kept fighting and dug deep.

“There’s been other times in other fights where I tried to dig deep and fight through it and my mind said yes, but my body said no. I was able to get through it (this time).”

Gunderson looks to repeat his success against a name opponent when he steps up to welterweight to take on Karo “The Heat” Parisyan at ShoFIGHT 20 this Saturday night in Springfield, Mo.

“In my opinion, Karo’s done more than most fighters will ever be able to accomplish or ever do,” Gunderson told MMAWeekly.com. “I have nothing but respect for the guy and what he’s done in the sport from when he was young until now.

“At this point and time in my career I want to fight those guys; the guys with names. I want tough fights. I want fights that mean something to me and later on look at myself in the mirror and be proud of.”

While Gunderson respects Parisyan, he feels that in nearly every aspect of MMA, he outshines his larger opponent.

“Karo’s obviously got world class judo, so there’s no way to prepare for someone’s judo like that, but I’m strong (in areas) too and I’m not green anywhere,” said Gunderson. “That’s something he’s going to have to deal with: my wrestling ability, my striking ability, my grappling ability, and my mental toughness.”

Speaking of mental toughness, Gunderson has heard speak of Parisyan’s erratic mental game in the past, but he’s not buying into it.

“He has broken in the past, but sitting there live when he fought Dong Hyung Kim – who had trained with us at Team Tompkins – he put Karo in all sorts of bad positions, but Karo showcased some real heart in that fight,” said Gunderson. “Whether or not it got overturned, Karo won that fight, and to go out there and beat a guy with Kim’s skills, I was impressed.

“I think he’s serious about this. He’s maybe only got one shot left, he needs to do it now, but unfortunately he’s got to go through me.”

While Gunderson feels his opponent may be up against it this weekend, he also acknowledges the twilight of his career may not be far off.

“I want to get a couple more fights in the UFC and finish my career there,” he said. “I’ve been fighting for so long – I’ve had fifty-some fights – I deserve that.

“I don’t feel I performed to my potential there, so if I had another chance there, I’d make the most of it. If it doesn’t happen, then it wasn’t meant to be; but if I can make it happen, that’d be awesome.”

For more MMA News and MMA Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC 189's Dennis Bermudez to Jeremy Stephens: 'Catch me if you can'

If you’ve watched Jeremy Stephens during his eight-year, 20-fight UFC career, you know about the striker’s weapons of choice. His UFC 189 opponent, meanwhile, isn’t exactly concerned.Filed under: Fea read news >>

CM Punk talks UFC debut, criticism, religion in MMA and new writing career with Marvel Comics

CM Punk took part in his very own media scrum while in Las Vegas for International Fight Week and UFC 189. Among the topics discussed were training, his UFC debut, religion in MMA and his blossoming read news >>

UFC Middleweight Costas Philippou Retires from MMA

In a somewhat surprising move, UFC middleweight contender Costas Philippou has decided to end his MMA career. Philippou has not personally commented on his decision. However, Sherdog did confirm the read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 12

Join us here tonight for live coverage of episode 12 of The Ultimate Fighter as the latest season sees its conclusion. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. J read news >>

BJ Penn Hall of Fame induction provides fitting end to storied UFC career

The term "warrior" can be overused in mixed martial arts (MMA). As Josh Barnett stated in an interview with HOV MMA, there are more athletes than fighters now. They attempt to choose their opponents read news >>

Chael Sonnen shoots down rumors of a comeback, reflects on career

Could the "American Gangster," Chael Sonnen, return to the cage for a comeback fight? While it's an idea that would certainly draw major interest, and it's one that's already been floated by Mike Rob read news >>

UFC 189 Embedded, Part 4 - McGregor's swordplay, Mendes holding his breath

Episode four of the UFC 189 Embedded series sees Chad Mendes studying some tape and working on his endurance, while Conor McGregor plays with some swords. UFC 189 Embedded is back with the fourth epi read news >>

Paulo Filho admits use of cocaine during WEC career, says Jon Jones will use it again

Former PRIDE star and WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho once was one of the best fighters in the world, but never really achieved what his teammates expected him to. For years, training partners read news >>

B.J. Penn says his greatest career moment didn't come in MMA

B.J. Penn is one of just two men to win UFC titles in two different weight classes. He has the most wins in UFC lightweight history and owns victories over some of the biggest names to ever step into read news >>

UFC champ Ronda Rousey and Mark Wahlberg set to co-star in 'Mile 22'

Ronda Rousey’s film career appears set to continue with “Mile 22,” a film starring Mark Wahlberg and directed by Peter Berg, according to “The Hollywood Reporter.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>